Indian Su-30 Fleet Expands Still More

longriver

Indian Su-30 Fleet Expands Still More

March 5, 2010: India is seeking another 42 Su-30MKI fighters from Russia. The negotiations have been going on for months, in an effort to get the right price. India buys bare bones fighters from Russia and equips these Su-30MKIs with Israeli sensors and communications gear. India has about a hundred Su-30MKIs in service, and is building about one a month under license. India bought fifty in the late 1990s, and another 40 three years ago. This is in addition to the license to build 140 locally. India wants to have nearly 300 within five years, partly because of the increasing threat of invasion by China. The first 18 Su-30s India received from Russia have been retired after a decade of service. In many respects, the Indian made Su-30s, the Su-30MKI, is the most capable version available, due to its Israeli and European electronics, and the well trained Indian pilots.

The 38 ton SU-30MKI is most similar to the two seat American F-15E fighter-bomber. Even though equipped with Western electronics, the aircraft cost less than $40 million each, about half what an equivalent F-15 costs. The Su-30MKI can carry more than eight tons of bombs and hit targets over 1,500 kilometers away.

What happened to the MRCA [I think that was it?], why spend more money on Sukhois when they plan to buy 100+ of the winner of the MRCA?

Well, building more than 100 aircraft takes its time, for the years to come they need an alternative until the new fighter is ready to use. And you mustn't forget that having 100 new fighters in stock doesn't get you anywhere. The pilots have to go through a whole lot of training before really being combat ready with their new aircraft...

What happened to the MRCA [I think that was it?], why spend more money on Sukhois when they plan to buy 100+ of the winner of the MRCA?

Difference in roles ... SU 30 is not MRCA .. It's Air Dominance . Horse and Ass Bla bla .. you need both

Lets see if I got this right..

They have decommisioned the first SU,s they bought but are building their own variant of the same plane for future use?

Lets see if I got this right..

They have decommisioned the first SU,s they bought but are building their own variant of the same plane for future use?

No .. India Doesn't buy of the self Defense Equipment .. Any body selling has to Give 10-20 % of the self and the rest to be built as per the Transfer or Technology in India by a India Company ( Generally )..

Now with SU 30MKI .. India has managed to get the Su30 Airframe and fit it with Israeli and Indian thingys.

India has not decommission any SU 30 so far .. SU 30MKi are built as a part of the Deal

I get the wanting to build their own kit but in Longrivers post it said: "The first 18 Su-30s India received from Russia have been retired after a decade of service."

Ofcourse their own manufactured aircraft is performance inhanced but IF the planes differ so much their original purchases from Russia are so outdated they are decommisioned is it really something to keep rebuilding?
And how inadequit were the original planes if they are so old (techwise) that thye have to be taken out of service?

You see where I am going with my questions?

//KJ.

I get the wanting to build their own kit but in Longrivers post it said: "The first 18 Su-30s India received from Russia have been retired after a decade of service."

Ofcourse their own manufactured aircraft is performance inhanced but IF the planes differ so much their original purchases from Russia are so outdated they are decommisioned is it really something to keep rebuilding?
And how inadequit were the original planes if they are so old (techwise) that thye have to be taken out of service?

You see where I am going with my questions?

//KJ.

I am not sure about the Source of the News Posted by Longrivers .. As per My knowledge .. SU 30 is a new Fighter the first one joined IAF in 2004 ... there is not Question of decomminitioning them

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_Su-30MKI

Last edited:
Isn't India already more than a match militarily for pakistahn? Of course, I can see India is just doing this so that it can one day utterly crush Pakistahn without ever having to set foot on it's soil.

Back