Indian Helicopter sets World Record in High Altitude Landing

Xion

An Indian Air Force Cheetal, a derivative of the indigenously designed Cheetah with a new engine and systems, piloted by HALs test pilot Group Captain A. S. Butola and Squadron Leader S.Sharma landed at Saser Kangri Massif in eastern Ladhak region at a density altitude of 25,150 feet or 7670 metres above mean sea level at 8.45 AM setting a world record of high altitude landing! Highly rarified atmosphere, strong winds and glare of blazing sun did not deter the Cheetal and its crew in executing a safe landing at this altitude for the first time in the history of aviation.

http://www.protonriver.com/library/air/cheetal.php

Makes sense with the background of India having the highest battlefields in the world (Kashmir Massive at border to Pakistan).

Actually it took place along the border with China, in Ladakh ...India-China border is longer than India-Pakistan one and is also higher in altitude

Xion said:
Actually it took place along the border with China, in Ladakh ...India-China border is longer than India-Pakistan one and is also higher in altitude

I just repeated what I was told by an Indian Officer who had the medal for serving there (Pakistan). Probably he made the story a bit up.

Probably he made the story a bit up.

No Sir, you are mistaken there.India has high battlefields bordering both China and Pakistan in Kashmir (Ex: The Siachen Glacier, the highest battlefield on earth) .India also borders Pakistan along a desert and many other lowland areas.
What I meant by my post was that the particular record occured along the border with China in the Ladakh region of India.
I also added some extra info there by mentioning that India has a more longer border with China than with Pakistan as many do not know about this.

Back