Indian Army Training pictures

OT...but I really like the colors of the turbans(the red ones...the sikh regiment)...(I know it's not a turban...you have another word for it but for the life of me I can't remember it)

Also...the coloring in general is great...the civil defense cadets girls look smashing :D.

Huge OT:

Regarding that "officer" with a Nokia 6600...what's the coverage in India...is it at least 50%? (just for clarification-coverage of mobile phone signal)

rOk said:
OT...but I really like the colors of the turbans(the red ones...the sikh regiment)...(I know it's not a turban...you have another word for it but for the life of me I can't remember it)

Also...the coloring in general is great...the civil defense cadets girls look smashing :D.

Huge OT:

Regarding that "officer" with a Nokia 6600...what's the coverage in India...is it at least 50%? (just for clarification-coverage of mobile phone signal)

70%

Regards
SAM

sambad said:
^ Policeman taking snaps of the parade with cameraphone

that guy isnt a policeman but he belongs to Arty Regt of the Indian Army
Regards
SAM[/img]

Yes, you are quite right. In my egarness to post the pics, I had accepted the news site caption at face value, which I had not done for the other pics

Hi

Haven't posted in a while, so I figured I'd update this thread with some new pics. I posted them inline because they're small... hope the mods don't mind.

India's No.201UH Army Aviation squadron was raised at Bangalore and became the first to receive the indigenously developed Hindustan Aeronautics 'Dhruv' Advanced Light Helicopter (ALH), on 15 Sept. 2001. This was a quantum jump for the Army, which had previously operated only Cheetah and Chetak helicopters.

During Aero India, this squadron gave a short demonstration on how this helicopter will be used by Army Aviation supporting commandos on an assault role in a remote jungle enviroment. The demonstration included a mock area sweep by a HAL Lancer light attack helicopter, followed by an airdrop of a jeep, equipment and para-commandos from the Dhruv.

All pics courtesy B Harry of ACIG.org

12fh.jpg

^ The demonstration is started off by arrival the HAL Lancer, an upgraded and armed derivative (not variant) of the Cheetah helicopter. In this type of operation, is will be used to sanitize the area of any opposition before the para-commandos are actually dropped. Lancers are operated with the Indian Army's No.4 (I) AA Flight.

This example (Z-1857), carries two attack pods, each containing a 12.7 mm gun and three 70 mm rockets. Both the Lancer and Dhruv have been exported to Nepal where they have been used with great success by the Nepalis against the Maoist insurgency.

Once the area is secure, the commandos may be injected. Two Dhruvs arrive on the scene while the Lancer orbits, looking for any other opposition.

023il.jpg

^ HAL Dhruv, IA-1102, carries the load of para-commandos for the air drop.

32cx.jpg

48al.jpg

^ A second Dhruv, IA-1103, carries in a jeep for the para-commandos to use. The Dhruv is capable of underslung load up to 1500 kg. Interestingly, IA-1103 was one of the two Dhruvs formally handed over to Army Aviation on March 20, 2002.

045qm.jpg

^ IA-1102 gets ready to deploy it's occupants from the "slithering" rope. Slithering is a highly-effective Indian "fast-roping" technique first developed by the army during the 1971 war, which required troop insertion during monsoon downpours and near-hurricane force winds.

60qt.jpg

^ The technique was taught to American commandos during Ex Yudh Abyas 2004, and to Chilean commandos during Dhruv demonstrations. Chile may be the first international export customer for the Dhuv.

050qm.jpg

^ IA-1102 drops its commandos, who secure the area, board the jeep, and drive off. [Unforunately, not caputred on camera, as the photgrapher was focusing on the helos (hey, its an airshow, after all ;))] Mission accomplished, the helicopter leaves the area.

82yn.jpg

^ IA-1103 returns to deploy it's own load of commandos, as well.

93fz.jpg

^ Ropes are deployed from the cargo bay as well as the main door. The clamshell cabin door is opened and a second rope is deployed from the same location.

116qy.jpg

^ Two commandos slither down from the helicopter.

124dq.jpg

^ A total of four commandos are deployed.

104hx.jpg

^ These first-batch Dhruvs are employed as transports, and hence lack any armament, but are used for the purposes of demonstration. The Dhuv however is a multi-role light helicopter that will also be employed in the combat role.

The Army's 'weapons system integrated' helicopters will feature a chin-mounted, three-barrel 20mm gun from Lockheed Martin and four pylons - each having two hard points - which will enable it to carry eight Nag anti-tank guided missiles, four 68mm or 70mm rocket pods or four tube-launched air-to-air missiles. The photo above is an early-model prototype from Aero India 1996.

As a bonus, here are some pics from the Indian Air Force's "Sarang" (Peacock) aerobatic team, who fly the HAL Dhruv. Here they are performing at the Aero India 2005

16lg1.jpg

^ The Sarangs are one of the world's few Helibatics teams and certainly the most prolific, despite their young age. Conceived in June 2003, the team is a part of the Aircraft and Systems Testing Establishment (ASTE) of the IAF. Here they are, flying vertical

23vt.jpg

^ Credit to HAL for the stunning paintscheme on the Dhruv

31fh.jpg

^ Breakaway after a short formation flight. The Sarang rehearse in up to 10 practice sessions per week, flying to the defence airfield at Kolar, near Bangalore. The routine starts at 7:30 AM and goes on till 2:30 PM. Each sessions is recorded on video for post-flight analysis.

43ms.jpg

^ The Dhruv prepares to fly backwards. Maneuvering a helicopter for an aerial display is much more difficult than doing the same with a fixed wing aircraft.

50sd.jpg

^ Many of the intense moves are facilitated by the Dhruv's hingeless fibre rotors which have a 13.7 % offset flapping hinge.

056ti.jpg

^ Each session would always start and end with a tandem formation flight. Although a part of the ASTE which is located at Bangalore's HAL Airport, the Sarang are mostly based at the separate HAL Helicopter division.

Cheers
-Raj

Never really figured a helocopter arobatic team, but very cool. I'd like to see them in action. The HAL Lancer looks like an old Bell helo - I'd love to own/fly one of those.

you know what, i would love to start up a helicoptor businese, selling helicoptors to india

my reason?? india needs helicoptors, for its many natural/manmade disasters needs my helicoptors to delivery supplies, medicine and take out the wounded

this will give me a profit and make me feel good that im helping our indian brothers in need 8)

I would like to help our chini bhais trapped in mines, lately we hear of lot of mine disasters in China, almost every other month :cry:

superb pics rajkhalsa :D

bhai = brother in Hindi, in Punjabi i don't know i'm not punjabi, ask rajkhalsa i think he's one 8)

中国兄弟 :?:

MadeInChina said:
man, gotta love the su-30s, unlike previous soviet aircraft, these birds look great with a sleek design and high performance all in one package :lol:

Hmm, wait, are you saying the MiG-29 doesn't look good?

mig29-00.jpg

Or the Su-37?

b.72.5.jpg

um... which do you like better? su 27 + class or mig 29+ class ( with excpetion of mig-31

personally i like the su better, better avionics and more weapons capacity, im just wondering why the two planes of different companies adopted the same type of aircraft design at the same time?

Hi

Here are some more pics. I'm posting them inline, and resizing if they are too big.

Mods, please tell me if they are too big, and I'll post thumbnail links. Please note taht the majority of these photos are .gif files and are already very small file sizes compared to similar sized jpegs

=====

Here are images from the (internet-released) last couple issues from the Sainik Samachar, the fortnightly defense publication by and for soldiers of the Indian military.

The magazine, like those of Western militaries, generally keeps one up to date on the general happenings and goings on of the day-to-day affairs of the military, of interest to the soldier. Sadly, the online edition is updated sporadically, and only in low-resolution images. And the branch-specific magazines aren't even available online at all. :(

By posting some images from here, I hope to show some of the Indian military's unique culture. Remember, this is the second largest military on the planet, probably the most diverse, and each of the thousands of units has their own histories, traditions, battle honors, ceremonies and heros, which make for a very colorful and interesting display for the general military enthusiast.

Most captions are from the text, but I added some more information to explain certain things if needed.

I'll post some more (got hundreds) if you guys like!

Indian Navy:
8a.gif

^ Naval Marine Commando a demonstration of combat gear to mediapersons. The naval khaki beret would be replaced by newly developed PAGST type helmet in combat, obviously. Note the traditional beard. Unlike the rest of the military, IN sailors are allowed to keep beards. The MARCOS, falling under the navy, also have this permission. It also helps them infiltrate during operations against Pakistani terrorists in Kashmir.

12pr.jpg

^ Lt Abhishek Bhattacharya, adjudged best all-round trainee of the 61st Observer Course, Naval Air station INS Garuda, receiving Uttar Pradesh Trophy from Cmde Thayi Hari

The following pictures are from Western Naval Command's 'Day At Sea' exhibition for defence personnel and their families off the Mumbai Coast on March 27:

16a.gif

^ INS Mysore

16b.gif

^ A Chetak helicopter landing onboard INS Viraat. Note the new paintscheme for the SHAR

18tf.jpg

^ Seaking helicopter on INS Viraat

16c.gif

^ A Sea Harrier fighter aircraft taking off from INS Viraat. Again, note the paint scheme. It looks spiffier but wouldn't the previous low-viz haze-grey-blue one blend in better with Indian Ocean waters? Maybe it was just repainted for the event?

Indian Air Force:
32b.gif

^ Air Marshal AD Joshi inspecting a guard of honour at HQ Eastern Air Command

18c.gif

^ Lt Gen Bhupender Singh Thakur, Vice Chief of Army Staff, was on a two-day visit to Gajraj Corps at Air Force station, Tezpur

19a.gif

^ Winners from Air Force station, Kalaikunda of the Eastern Air Command inter-wing cricket championship 2005-06 at Air Force station, Salua.

Indian Army:
cover2.gif

^ Chief of the Army Staff, Gen NC Vij presenting colours to 1 EME Centre at Secunderabad. Lt Gen VK Dhir, DG, EME is also seen in the picture

back.gif

^ Lt Gen MC Bhandari, Director General, National Cadet Corps with cadets who visited Bangladesh under Youth Exchange Programme

19b.gif

^ Maj Gen GG Dwivedi, GOC, 57 Mountain Division inaugurated a military-civic action programme to import training in first-aid and maternal and child health to the girls hailing from Leimakhong.

25a.gif

^ Defence Minister, Mr Pranab Mukherjee presented the best marching contingent trophy for the Armed Forces contingent in this year’s Republic Day Parade to Sikh Regiment on March 31. The trophy was received by Lt Vikram Singh Gill who commanded the Sikh Regiment in the Parade.

3a.gif

^ Deputy Collector of Muzaffarabad, Pakistani occupied Kashmir, exchanging documents with the personnel of Indian Army

7a.gif

^ Indian and Chinese army officials at a border personnel meeting

30c.gif

^ Lt Gen S Pattabhiraman presenting gifts to visiting J&K students visiting Chandigarh, Punjab during a three day excursion tour under operation Sadbhavana. The operation gives students from the worst terrorism-hit areas of Jammu and Kashmir tours of the rest of the country of India, and the hugeness and warmth of the same, and is one of the most successful tools at countering insurgency.

32e.gif

^ Lt Gen S Pattabhiraman, GOC-in-C, Western Command during his visit to Chetak Corps, Bathinda.

2A.gif

^ President, Dr APJ Abdul Kalam receiving a memento from Lt Gen MC Bhandari, DG, National Cadet Corps

9a.gif

^ Wreath laying at the War Memorial of 11 Maratha Light Infantry. The 11th Maratha Light Infantry, affectionately called Akramak Akra (Aggressive Eleven), is one of the youngest battalions of Maratha Light Infantry

11a.gif

^ A view of the formation flying at 667 Army Aviation Squadron's 18th raising day of Army Aviation Corps celebrations

14b.gif

^ Newly attested soldiers of Assam Regiment marching during the attestation parade

14a.gif

^ Winners of the Eastern Command Tri-Services Football Championship with Brig WJB Sturgeon. After completion of a 42 week rigorous training, 288 young Rhinos belonging to the 273rd batch of Assam Regiment were inducted as soldiers at a colourful attestation parade held at the Parson Parade Ground, Shillong

2a.gif

^ Army Chief, Gen JJ Singh with President, AWWA, Mrs Anupama Singh at Wood Bridge

6a.gif

10qh.jpg

^ Nehru Institute of Mountaineering (NIM) flagged off a seven-member mountaineering expedition to Mount Shisha Pangma. Here, defence Minister, Mr Pranab Mukherjee presenting Ice Axe to the team leader. Shisha Pangma is one of the 14 eight thousand-metre high mountains in the the world

19b.gif

^ Fifty-seven militants surrendered to Lt Gen Anup Singh Jamwal, GOC, Gajraj Corps at a rehabilitation ceremony organised by the Red Horns Division at Rangiya in Kamrup district. The militants handed over their weapons including pistols, revolvers, AK rifles, point 303 rifles, 12-bore guns, universal machine guns, Chinese grenades and explosives

22a.gif

^ Twenty NCC cadets of Senior Division (Army Wing) of Military School, Dholpur attended an adventure training camp at National Adventure Foundation, Solang, Manali.

13a.gif

13b.gif

^ The oldest infantry brigade of Indian Army, 5 Mountain Brigade instituted a program to construct and run numerous schools in a thousand remote mountain villages in its 460 kilometres deployment in the remote Along sector of Arunachal Pradesh.

14hn.jpg

^ Garhwal Rifles Rgmt soldiers march during a procession remembering the many successes the elite Royal Garhwal Rifles of the British Indian Army.

15a.gif

15c.gif

15d.gif

^ Soldiers from the Corps of Signals at various events held on the occasion of 94th Corps Day

29c.gif

^ An ex-servicemen (ESM) rally was organised as part of operation Sahayta by HQ 33 Armoured Division at Fatehabad, Haryana. The ESM rally was conducted by 4 Mechanised Infantry (1 Sikh).

30a.gif

^ A voluntary contribution by all ranks was used to construct a Buddhist prayer wheel called “mane” in Chorbatla sector by an Artillery unit

19b.gif

^ The Governor of Jammu and Kashmir addressing the special sainik sammelan commending the role of troops of the 3rd Battalion of 5 Gorkha Rifles in Chandimandir Cantonment marking the diamond jubilee celebrations of the battle honour Tiddim.

Cheers
-Raj

TRULY IMPRESSIVE

What more can i say than salute in respect and awe. I feel proud to be an Indian.
Sir a small query, Lt Gen Pattabhiraman GOC-C southern command from which academy did he graduate. [IMA or OTA]
was curious so putforth the query.

Thanking u SIR.

Note the traditional beard. Unlike the rest of the military, IN sailors are allowed to keep beards. The MARCOS, falling under the navy, also have this permission. It also helps them infiltrate during operations against Pakistani terrorists in Kashmir.

how does a beard help them infiltrate?
just curious...

Hi,

rotc boy said:
Note the traditional beard. Unlike the rest of the military, IN sailors are allowed to keep beards. The MARCOS, falling under the navy, also have this permission. It also helps them infiltrate during operations against Pakistani terrorists in Kashmir.

how does a beard help them infiltrate?
just curious...

rotc_boy old buddy ........... it makes them look like the enemy .......... Islam Discourages the Trimming of the beard ........... So now they look more Muslim........... Disguise is the key ;)

Peace

Back