Indian Air Force Looks at Boeing C-17 Globemaster III to Replace Ilyushin IL-76

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Source

Keen on replacing its ageing Russian IL-76 transport aircraft fleet, the Indian Air Force has shortlisted US major Boeing's C-17 Globemaster III for its heavylift aircraft.

"The C-17s have been shortlisted after IAF carried out a thorough study on its capability to take-off and land on short runways with heavy loads," IAF sources said here today. IAF would place an initial order for 10 of the C-17s through the US government's Foreign Military Sales (FMS) route, and may later go in for a follow-on order, sources said.

"The Defence Ministry is at present considering the proposal. If accepted, the aircraft should be inducted in about three years after signing of the contract," sources added. In fact, most of IAF's transport aircraft were acquired in the 1980s and the air force is keen to acquire new generation aircraft to replace and augment its fleet.

There are about 100 mediumlift AN-32 aircraft and around 20 heavylift IL-76 aircraft in the IAF fleet at present. An IL-76 has a six-member crew and can carry a cargo of 45 tonnes. But the C-17, which is powered by four Pratt & Whitney F-117-PW-100 turbofan engines, can carry 70 tonnes and has only a three-member crew, industry sources said.

(Originally reported by Press Trust of India)

Peace
-=SF_13=-

I hope India spends the money they need to buy more western gear, I do think more then ten is needed.
icon14.gif

IL-76 is too old, but we are not allowed to buy C-17 from the US. The only way for us is develop our own aerotransport

Only 10 C-17s Aircrafts to replace the whole IAF heavy transport aircraft fleet??

The Deal is still not signed yet. IAF first go for study and trail these machines, whether they suit for Indian requirements or not.

IAF operates some 30+ IL-76s aircrafts which some are 12-18 years old. They can be served till 2018-20. Presently most of the IL-76s are used for transport uses in Jammu and Kashmir and Siachen region.

Good plane but he costs about 200 million $ :?
Now thats expensive :-o

You can buy 2-3 IL-76 Aircrafts for that cost.

Only 10 C-17s Aircrafts to replace the whole IAF heavy transport aircraft fleet??

The Deal is still not signed yet. IAF first go for study and trail these machines, whether they suit for Indian requirements or not.

IAF operates some 30+ IL-76s aircrafts which some are 12-18 years old. They can be served till 2018-20. Presently most of the IL-76s are used for transport uses in Jammu and Kashmir and Siachen region.

Now thats expensive :-o

You can buy 2-3 IL-76 Aircrafts for that cost.

Yes but the C-17 carries nearly twice the load than a IL-76 and requires much less resources to operate. If you have to move 200 Tons of supplies from point A to B its sometimes cheaper to buy the more expensive plane because they cost far less in the long run if you consider the extra Fuel, Parts, Crew Costs etc of cheaper smaller aircraft.

I hope India spends the money they need to buy more western gear, I do think more then ten is needed.
icon14.gif

I think c-17 is very expensive and for the same price 20 IL76 MF(60t Cargo)
& 15 AN 124(150t) can be bought. I will not buy the arguement that Russian Stuff lacks quality.
Why did the IAF choose SU30mki and now a joint "PAKFA"

Yes but the C-17 carries nearly twice the load than a IL-76 and requires much less resources to operate. If you have to move 200 Tons of supplies from point A to B its sometimes cheaper to buy the more expensive plane because they cost far less in the long run if you consider the extra Fuel, Parts, Crew Costs etc of cheaper smaller aircraft.
i F YOU LITERALLY HAVE TO MOV 200T NO US CARGO PLANE WILL DO.ONLY
AN224 CAN TAKE 250 T AND IS STILL CHEAPER THEN A 77 TON CARRIER-C-17.

AMERICAN EQUIPMENT/PLANES ARE OUTRAGEOULY EXPENSIVE AND LESS CAPABLE c17 --->77T AN124 150T pRICE C17 200 MULLION USD AN 124
8O MILLION USD

Last edited by a moderator:
I think c-17 is very expensive and for the same price 20 IL76 MF(60t Cargo)
& 15 AN 124(150t) can be bought. I will not buy the arguement that Russian Stuff lacks quality.
Why did the IAF choose SU30mki and now a joint "PAKFA"

i F YOU LITERALLY HAVE TO MOV 200T NO US CARGO PLANE WILL DO.ONLY
AN224 CAN TAKE 250 T AND IS STILL CHEAPER THEN A 77 TON CARRIER-C-17.

AMERICAN EQUIPMENT/PLANES ARE OUTRAGEOULY EXPENSIVE AND LESS CAPABLE c17 --->77T AN124 150T pRICE C17 200 MULLION USD AN 124
8O MILLION USD

I think you're missing the whole "class" or "tier" part of this equation. Boeing is no joke my friend, world class engineers there.

Yeah seriously.
Right now no one else has the money, tech and knowhow of the American military industrial manufacturers.
You'll have to shell out a lot more but odds are you won't go too wrong when buying an American aircraft.
Yeah I know there's the whole thing about maneuverability etc etc etc. but nowadays the inside of the aircraft is more important than its structure.

The C-17 is going to give you that quality in airlift.

While the C-17 may be an expensive piece of kit, there aren't many aircraft that not only have that kind of payload, but can also operate from improvised or tactical airfields. We had one of our C-17s in not too long ago, and within 2000', it was at taxi speed. Same for its takeoff roll. 2000' and airborne. While the aircraft wasn't at max payload, it was still an impressive sight from the Tower, I must say.

india has many people living in poverty! why must they buy so many weapons?tanks.aeroplane.......if india use money to develop their country,it will do better!! millitary development must be considered into national conditions!

The same could be said for China. Many countries have poor people, but still use a lot of money for defense purposes.

your understanding of china is out of date. today,our country develop a lot. Now only few people are in poverty! i hope you come to china and have a look,you will have a new understanding of our country! any city!
nowadays,many foreign friends have a misunderstanding of china.their understand stay at a very old date!
why should our country need develop millitary? our country is facing to pressure! all kinds of pressure! safe,source......our country love peace!! peace has rooted into every chinese people!
war will destroy fine things! but if we are threaten , we will fight for our country!our country!china

Yeah, there are places in China which are the envy of the world.
But there are tons of people in poverty in China. It's what provides for the cheap labor. But if you ask me, the Chinese are better off than the Indians.

i agree with you .china is still a developing china,it still have a long way to go. our country is far behind developed country,so we must learn from other countries.
Japan,i negate japanese attitude towards the history,but i confirm that japan developed successful! so our nation should learn from its develepment experience.

Ive been to Hong Kong, and its pretty much the opposite.

Although, it IS Hong Kong..

Opposite in which way Zastava? That they have money and still spend tons on military or that they have money and don't spend much on military?

xbwstar, I think you would have more to be proud of if China didn't have such a bad human rights record. Child labor is still common is it not? The products that the Chinese have made have had dire consequences in the past and recently have they not? Remember, just recently, the publicity regarding baby forumula? How many babies died from tainted foruma? Not to mention many other 'made in China' products. So if the Chinese are getting ahead faster then the Indians, maybe it is because they have been more ruthless in the tactics they have used to get to that point? How about freedom of speach? You mentioned in another post that many sites are blocked for you, ever wonder who made those decisons? Did you, or other people there, have a say in them at all?

There still is a lot of povetry in China, to say otherwise is just plainly untrue.

jilly,you are not completely right.indeed,i don't agree all behaviour of my country,as i mentioned above. i will do my best to show a real china!objective!
jill ,you may know something about china by meida,i also know many foreign media give negative news about china, may be not all bad news for china ,that's why our country blocked the foreign sites.
human rights ,a difficult problem! at this point , you are right. But there sitll exists something that you don't know.

The reason for the phenomenon of child labor:
Though chinese Primary education is free,but there still exists old spirit in some remote area.they don't think education is important,they only want to get money early,then returning to hometown to build house,marry...go round and round. But this phenomenon become fewer and fewer.

Why do i desire to search foreign sites ? i want to communacate with foreign friends.Vandalism incidents in Tibet,Urumqi vandalism incident,when i got the news that some foreign medias make up the news,
i was so angry.Mob massacred civilians, the media even said that "chinese army had repressed civilians"!!if others say these words to your country ,can you bear? so i want to find a oppotunity to tell the truth! though,personal power is slight.
i have a qusation .what is the meaning of "baby forumula"?
if you have more quastion,send e-mail to me .
xbwstar@163.com

Back