India to train US 'Green Berets' in jungle warfare

--

July 28th, 2008  
Lunatik

Topic: India to train US 'Green Berets' in jungle warfare

A contingent of US Special Forces, or Green Berets, will team up with Indian soldiers to train in jungle warfare, officials said on Saturday.

The 30-member US team will train in the army-run Counter-Insurgency Jungle Warfare School from August 2 in the rebellion-torn northeastern state of Mizoram, they said.

"The training schedule involves methodologies to tackle terrorism and low intensity conflicts," an Indian commander said on condition he was not named.

An equal number of Indian military personnel will team up with the visiting Green Berets at the school where some 250 US soldiers had been trained in the past four years.

"The US soldiers would share their experiences in tackling urban terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan, while the Indians would pass on their tactics used in Kashmir and other parts of the northeast," he added.

Earlier this month Indian war jets left for the US to take part for the first time in multinational aerial war games codenamed the "Red Flag" beginning August 9 and billed as the world's toughest.

In September last year, New Delhi hosted naval exercises involving 29 warships and 160 fighter aircraft from the United States, Australia, Japan and Singapore in the Indian Ocean.

The exercise signalled a significant change in relations between the Indian and US militaries, whose relations were marked by mistrust during the Cold War.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/Indi...rfare_999.html

Interesting.
July 29th, 2008  
The Other Guy

What jungles are we preparing to invade?
July 29th, 2008  
major liability

Jungles and cities, the two last places I'd ever want to have to fight.
--
July 29th, 2008  
A Can of Man

I hope India can become powerful enough to contain the Chinese. India by the nature of their mindset are a far more responsible people than the Chinese are.
Hopefully more joint-training operations will lead to better relations and better coordination.
July 29th, 2008  
Lunatik

Dunno. Russians and Indians are pretty close too. Actaually Russkies are a lot closer to India than Americans. Indian military operate a lot of cool Russian stuff and have excellent relations with them. I fail to see the significance of this recent US-Indian training thing.

August 3rd, 2008  
SwordFish_13

Hi,

This is a regular activity ....

Third Indo-US joint army exercise in Mizoram
August 3rd, 2008  
A Can of Man

India relies on Russia for their military hardware but I believe that has more to do with a cost-quality thing than anything else.
August 3rd, 2008  
KJ

Nothing new in joint exercises..
August 4th, 2008  
AikiRooster

I want a few of those head threads.
August 4th, 2008  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ
Nothing new in joint exercises..
Exactly. I don't know how much counterpart training I've done. Off the top of my grape.

ROKMC
Thai
FILMAR-FILNAV
Panama df's
Aussies
JSDF
Norway
Royal Marines
Italy
Spain
Honduras
El Salvador
Greece

OTG to train in jungle warfare doesn't mean we are invading anywhere. It's a skill set.