India to train US 'Green Berets' in jungle warfare

Lunatik

A contingent of US Special Forces, or Green Berets, will team up with Indian soldiers to train in jungle warfare, officials said on Saturday.

The 30-member US team will train in the army-run Counter-Insurgency Jungle Warfare School from August 2 in the rebellion-torn northeastern state of Mizoram, they said.

"The training schedule involves methodologies to tackle terrorism and low intensity conflicts," an Indian commander said on condition he was not named.

An equal number of Indian military personnel will team up with the visiting Green Berets at the school where some 250 US soldiers had been trained in the past four years.

"The US soldiers would share their experiences in tackling urban terrorism in Iraq and Afghanistan, while the Indians would pass on their tactics used in Kashmir and other parts of the northeast," he added.

Earlier this month Indian war jets left for the US to take part for the first time in multinational aerial war games codenamed the "Red Flag" beginning August 9 and billed as the world's toughest.

In September last year, New Delhi hosted naval exercises involving 29 warships and 160 fighter aircraft from the United States, Australia, Japan and Singapore in the Indian Ocean.

The exercise signalled a significant change in relations between the Indian and US militaries, whose relations were marked by mistrust during the Cold War.

http://www.spacewar.com/reports/India_to_train_US_Green_Berets_in_jungle_warfare_999.html

2838.jpg

Interesting. :???:

I hope India can become powerful enough to contain the Chinese. India by the nature of their mindset are a far more responsible people than the Chinese are.
Hopefully more joint-training operations will lead to better relations and better coordination.

Dunno. Russians and Indians are pretty close too. Actaually Russkies are a lot closer to India than Americans. Indian military operate a lot of cool Russian stuff and have excellent relations with them. I fail to see the significance of this recent US-Indian training thing.

800px-SU-30_MKI_Lajes.JPG

800px-Il-78MKI.jpeg

800px-Indian_Army_T-72_image1.jpg

Last edited:
India relies on Russia for their military hardware but I believe that has more to do with a cost-quality thing than anything else.

Nothing new in joint exercises..

Exactly. I don't know how much counterpart training I've done. Off the top of my grape.

ROKMC
Thai
FILMAR-FILNAV
Panama df's
Aussies
JSDF
Norway
Royal Marines
Italy
Spain
Honduras
El Salvador
Greece

OTG to train in jungle warfare doesn't mean we are invading anywhere. It's a skill set.

Filipino marines were great, hard chargers.
Supposedly, accidentally bombed by some Frenchies from the sky.

Last edited:
Filipino Marines Rock!!!!

And could always get San Miguel and Red Horse. No matter how deep in the bush you were. Not to mention fried rice,lumpia and fresh pineapple!!

God Bless the FilMars!!!!!

Had yummy cigars too, no matter how muddy and nasty we got in the training, they always could keep the cigar stash fresh, clean and dry. Most importantly, enthusiastically shared.

I like the idea of us training with India, good ally to have.

Back