India acquires Israeli spy satellite

SwordFish_13

Hi,

Source

India has acquired an Israeli satellite that has day and night viewing capability. A bird can keep a watch over India's hostile neighbours even when the landmass is covered by a thick cloud cover, this capability puts the satellite in the class of what are often called `spy satellites'.

The Indian security
forces have been seeking such capability for a long time and the need to procure one quickly was precipitated after the Mumbai attacks. India's existing satellites get blinded at night and in the monsoon season. The satellite will also provide India the capability to track incoming hostile ballistic missiles.

In a few weeks this satellite called a Radar Satellite (RISAT-2) will be launched using the Indian rocket the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV). The 300 kilogram satellite is the first of its kind for India and is in the process of being integrated with the Indian rocket at India's space port Sriharikota.

ISRO has been developing its very own RadarSat at a cost of almost Rs 400 crores but since that was taking time India went in for a hurried purchase from Israel. India's own RadarSat will launched later in 2009 which will give India a constellation of spy satellites.

Indo-Israeli relations in space are at a new high ever since in January 2008 India launched Israel's very own spy satellite called TecSAR it had a resolution of almost 10 centimetres, meaning it could read car number plates from the sky.

Peace
-=SF_13=-

They can't avoid being important given where they are, how many people they have and who they are.

Lots of things wrong with that news story. I wonder if the writer is uninformed or is simply being misleading?

I also wonder about the motives of the writer. The two countries have absolutely nothing in common.

Actually they do. Israel and India have a very good military relationship. We have similar threats and we exchange information and technology.

Israel & India

Hi Jilly
icon7.gif

Jilly I also wonder about the motives of the writer. The two countries have absolutely nothing in common.
Israel become India largest supplier of weapons/weapons system last year surpassing Russia sales to India, money wise.

Just a few off the top of my head
India's Harriers were upgraded EL-2030 radar,Python IV and Derby missiles
I know the two share in missile programs together
India put one of their radar's in a IL-76 Russian transport/AWACS for India?
There are some Israeli made devices on the MKI Flanker too.
Short range SAM systems

Two maybe's
Fire control or the IR on the T-90s might be Israel? I remember India had them changed or placed a special order could have been BAE. Sherman do you know?
IR & weapons systems on India's Hind-25's

Hi,

Israel has surpassed Russia as the largest weapons supplier for India... In my view They have everything in common :)

The latest Israeli spy satellite, TecSAR, was launched by India on 22 January, 2008 abroad PSLV.

During the Kargil War as well India received unmanned aerial vehicles, laser-guided bombs and other hardware to knock out Pakistani hilltop bunkers from Isreal.

In the last 10 years India’s military imports from Israel have included:
• Barak -1 anti-ship missile system
• Unmanned aerial vehicles of various types
• Laser-guided bombs
• Technology for ballistic missile systems
• Green Pine radar
• AWACS
• Spyder surface-to-air missile system
• Aerostat radars
• Service contract to upgrade MIG fighter aircraft
• Electronic countermeasures and air-battle support electronics
•Small Arms (Tavor assault rifle)

The total contract value of these and other purchases is close to US$9 billion.

Some useful info on Wiki
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indo-Israeli_relations

And don't forget to watch this .. The Israeli arms firm Rafael displayed this Bollywood dance number-based marketing video at the recently held Aero India 2009 in Bangalore. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktQOLO4U5iQ

Peace

Back