Increased risk of terrorist attack with WMD

perseus

With the widespread availability of dangerous substances and the hysterical attitude of the public towards radioactivity, I'm surprised terrorists haven't tried this already. However after the WMD debacle will anyone take this threat seriously?

failed states such as Iraq have made it easier to obtain materials for weapons such as dirty bombs.
Ms Smith said the threat is "severe" - meaning an attack is "highly likely" and "could happen without warning".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7960466.stm

Threat Level Orange...

By the way, that's a no. No one really thinks they can/will, and the scare tactics part weighs in too thanks to the first WMD debacle.

Minister Smith, whose government over the past decade has put us all at such risk with its disastrous and out of control immigration policy, now has the cheek to warn us of the terrible consequences of the enemy within. For years I complained of the Trojan Horse our government has wheeled into our midst, negating our strongest defence, the English Channel.

The politicians and bureaucrats responsible should be put on trial for Treason, IMHO. No time for her tears now, I'm afraid, the horse has bolted.

The Governments fault perhaps, but is it not as much Blair's Iraq/WMD policy as immigration that places us in danger? It seems to be a lethal cocktail. Either component is relatively harmless to the UK by itself.

Would it have been that different under a Tory government, I doubt it.

The threat is always imminent, my question is what exactly has the govt been doing? If I remember correctly there was an exercise in 20055/06 which highlighted a number of shortcomings in the response of emergency services - mainly procedural, communication & liaison, the govt was going to get right on the problem & sort it - must still be in the 'in tray'.

Still it's good to know that the politicians know what the general public has known for quite a while, if they keep going at this rate they'll be only just behind the power curve - that's progress.

The Governments fault perhaps, but is it not as much Blair's Iraq/WMD policy as immigration that places us in danger? It seems to be a lethal cocktail. Either component is relatively harmless to the UK by itself.

Would it have been that different under a Tory government, I doubt it.

Unfortunately uncontrolled immigration is the big elephant in the room, with us for ever, when the Iraq episode has faded into history; and without the former, the latter would not have spealt such homegrown dangers here.

Also, please remember that the Tories lost the 3 most recent elections precisely because of their warnings and efforts to regain control of our borders, and being branded racist by Labour for doing so.

However, the situation is too serious to be considered as a political football between parties, IMHO.

With the widespread availability of dangerous substances and the hysterical attitude of the public towards radioactivity, I'm surprised terrorists haven't tried this already. However after the WMD debacle will anyone take this threat seriously?

Interesting article. It suggest the threat of WMD is increasing.

In relationship to what and when? Increase as mesured against zero 100 years ago?

There have been a few arrests of people in the US for planning dirty bomb attacks.

The article sights "failed states" such as Iraq as places the material could be optained.

Is this the same Iraq that after years of searching, no WMD was found?
IF a WMD was deployed and IF the material was traced back to Iraq, would that vindicate President Bush in the eyes of the world for taking action against Iraq?:???:

Terrorists generally have minimal education on the subject and don't know how to handle or use it without hurting themselves.

Those that do know those details find paid employment far more available and paying far more than what they got as terrorists.

All of them realize this and only the really stupid or really psychotic don't care and do it anyway.

And those that got really good jobs would rather pay the uneducated idiots to go around blowing each other up with car bombs in hops of their families being taken care of.

And if you question that, tell me how many professors, lawyers, doctors or engineers have you heard of doing suicidal car bombings? How many are caught setting up IEDs?

And remember, terrorists come in far more colors and ranges than just muslim. I know a couple muslims and their attitude is live & let live. THEY are complying with Allah's word, if the guy down the street isn't, oh well. that's his problem, not theirs. We can always talk about Jim Jones, the IRA, Aum Shinrikyo, 17 November, or PEGAD.

[FONT=times new roman, serif][FONT=times new roman, serif][/FONT][/FONT]

IF a WMD was deployed and IF the material was traced back to Iraq, would that vindicate President Bush in the eyes of the world for taking action against Iraq?:???:
Only if it turns out that the WMD had been there prior to the invasion. If it came in post invasion then it would actually worsen Bush's image as the guy who gave the nutcases who deployed it a place to hide it.

And if you question that, tell me how many professors, lawyers, doctors or engineers have you heard of doing suicidal car bombings? How many are caught setting up IEDs?

In general, I agree with most of what your post said. But it seems to me that there was a doctor involved with a bombing that happened around 2004-2006 era. I would have to do more research, but I believe the doctor was involved in an unsuccessful attempt to blow up an airport around the time of the London Underground bombing.

Unfortunately uncontrolled immigration is the big elephant in the room, with us for ever, when the Iraq episode has faded into history; and without the former, the latter would not have spealt such homegrown dangers here.

Also, please remember that the Tories lost the 3 most recent elections precisely because of their warnings and efforts to regain control of our borders, and being branded racist by Labour for doing so.

However, the situation is too serious to be considered as a political football between parties, IMHO.

I'd also like to say that the Tories lost the last 3 elections because they had no credible leader, behind whom they would unite, as one of many reasons, but that is for another discussion I think.

Terrorism is bit of a hot button subject for me, in case you haven't noticed. My fear here is that we are drawing sweeping generalisations:

"Terrorists generally have minimal education on the subject and don't know how to handle or use it without hurting themselves." Hmmm - you are unfortunately wrong, it now appears that many "well" educated people are resorting to terrorist / criminal acts, I will have to find the stats, but it was produced about 1 yr ago, by the BBC - I'll post it later. Apparently, in my memory, this is due to the fact that they feel guilt & are also in a position to do something about their homeland situation.

I think the days of dumb triggers are not gone, but no one can be discounted as a potential threat. As countries threatened we need to look at the root causes & try to do something about these causes, mainly poverty & lack of equality. This is a longer term plan, but it is aimed at removing the terrorist grievance.

Yes surprisingly a lot of these terrorists do have a lot of education... that's kind of how they developed the mind and motivation to join the fight in the first place.
They come from all kinds of walks of life.

I'd also like to say that the Tories lost the last 3 elections because they had no credible leader, behind whom they would unite, as one of many reasons, but that is for another discussion I think.

The point you make is certainly for another discussion and I pointed out in my last post that this was no time for party politics.

But my point was most relevant. In answer to my statement regarding the vulnerability of Britain through uncontrolled immigration over the past decade, I was asked would the Tories have done things differently, and on topic I made the point that over the decade the important plank of Tory electioneering was the control of immigration and the dangers of not dealing with this; they were stigmatised by Labour as racist, which cost them dearly. So the reponse I gave obviously indicated that Yes - they would have done something to deal with the matter had they come to power.

In this country there is no poverty among legal immigrants, the benefit system is attracting masses from all over the middle east, or significant discrimination against our ethnic minorities; the boot is indeed on the other foot, to our dangerous cost. This particular terrorism here is religion and power based.

Last edited:
Interesting article. It suggest the threat of WMD is increasing.

In relationship to what and when? Increase as mesured against zero 100 years ago?

There have been a few arrests of people in the US for planning dirty bomb attacks.

The article sights "failed states" such as Iraq as places the material could be optained.

The thing is as has been pointed out some of these groups have highly educated individuals and WMD material could be accessed in the country to be attacked. They might not need an outside source.

Back