Incoming fire

sunb!

Forum Barbecuer
A short story from one of my OP center watches in Kosovo. The story takes place at around 22:30, everything is calm; five units on AO patrol two static positions and one medic on a routine mission to BnHQ for personell pickup when this message gets on the comms:

1 - 1M2 - message follows

1M2 - 1 - Ready

1 - 1M2 - possible incoming fire position DN xx xx, request reeinforcements

1M2 - 1 - WHAT SORT OF INCOMING FIRE ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? SA, ATY, MTR?

(- tasking Quick Reaction Force and medic vehicle at this point,
personell loaded on vehicle; 1 minute standby)

1 - 1M2 - I think it is artillery fire....

Hmmmm... The two of us on guard at this point went "what the **** is she talking about... Getting another coffee, calling in XO and lighting a cigarette (and ofcoz pausing Resident Evil on the PS1)"

A quick comm to a unit on static position in the area she was in

1B3 - 1 - did you get message from 1M2?

1 - 1B3 - yes, it is most likely thunder and lightning she's on, the horizon is full of it

1 - 1S - at position x (further north), it is lightning

1M2 - 1 - can you verify it is lighting?

1 - 1M2 - yes...

1 - Thank you, out.

Hard to tell the difference, isn't it?

I've seen it the other way around too.

The military reservation in Vermont is quite small and is easily unnoticed by travelers sightseeing around Vermont. One day I was outside the post at a local quick stop getting a coffee when I saw an elderly couple struggling to put the top up on their antique convertible and having quite a bit of difficulty. I looked up at the cloudless sky and having heard the weather report was somewhat perplexed as to their evident haste in getting their top up. So I walked over to offer some assistence and the old gent thanked me and once the top was up told me how relieved he was they'd gotten it up before the cloudburst came. I asked him what he was talking about and pointed to the totally blue sky. He asked me if I hadn't heard all that thunder coming up? The "thunder" was my artillery battalion doing live fire exercises. 8) :twisted:

Back