Improving Military Helmet

IPDgroup

Hello. I am currently working on a project to improve the helmets worn by ground troops in Iraq and Afghanistan. Any feedback you could leave regarding pros/cons, problems, performance,or possible improvement suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cooling rings inside them to keep your melon cool and sweat free!
Seriously, thats what I'd want.

One question here, do you think that your helmets bother you when you are using your weapon's sights (scopes)?

What is it you want to change? Do you have an idea? What do you think is wrong with the current?

Have you heard of Tactical Ballistic Helmet version 2 (TBHII) - from the American manufacturer Gentex?

It´s the one we use in Denmark. Don´t think you can do much better than that.

Some of their products are really interesting, are they selling these things in Europe? I wish I could buy some of their goggles.

And I dont think he is looking for a place to buy helmets, but more about ideas or areas to improve in current helmets.

Do you think it's a good idea to have a tool to pump water in your head from under the helmet to cool your head without taking out the helmet? I often pour water on my head when it's hot. Works for me. But I dont wear helmets when I'm out running.

I am researching new materials to reduce head acceleration cause by the force of a blunt impact. There have been more instances of traumatic brain injurie in Afghanistan and Iraq than in past wars. I am looking to improve the ability of the padding system to absorb shock created by a IED blast. In the design process it would be helpful to know the details of the current helmet design that are useful and should be kept and others that would be better if they were changed.
From the responses it is apparent that the material used to absorb the shock would be best if it had properties allowing the head to cool and release heat.
Thank you for your input. Any other comments/advice would help a lot.

Well, in a country like Afghanistan, you can encounter extreme heat and extreme cold aswell... Remember that with altitude, the temperature can drop and by far.

Doesn't concussion blast accelerate when it travels through water? Staying cool is a good idea, but not at the expense of my noggin. I could be wrong though, just something to think about.

I will say that the current ACH we are using is A LOT better than the old style K-pots we were using when I came into the Army. The ACH is lighter, more comfortable, and it actually stays in place on ones head.

Last edited:
Water cant get compressed, or at least, not like air. Seems right. But I dont think they are working on a water compartment. And It would be heavy...

Make sure it doesn't fall apart under 7.62. The cooling thing is a good idea, when you are wiping sweat out of your eyes you lose your sight picture.

No, not all of them. 7.62 hits very hard. They have to ballance weight against protection. The newer versions of the ACH do, not all of the older ones though.

Ok here it goes.

I want a helmet that is light but strong enough to withstand large caliber rounds, more comfortable, with higher stability during movement and improved vision when shooting. The helmet must be easy to "customize" precisely to your head and allowing better distribution of the pressure from blast waves. A form of ventilation would be a good idea.

The helmet should not go as far down the neck so to be pushed forward by the fragmentation vest when lying down. And there must be room for a headset. It should be equipped with a standard bracket for night vision without causing imbalance. A multi-adjustable chin strap is also my wish. It should be easy to change pads. Maybe some pockets that you can put them into so they stay in place or maybe you could create a lining in a pressure absorbing material that was tailored to your head.

Just my thoughts on a new helmet.

Maybe some kind of fan you can clip to the back of your helmet to blow some air in can do wonders regarding the cooling. The fan would be encased in a tube or pipe of some sort.

What about changing the shape of the helmet to limit resistance?

If the pressure is like taking a fast sea wave in the face, then you dont want a square helmet for that...

Back