Impotant work in iraq II

--
Boots

March 20th, 2005  
chewie_nz

Topic: Impotant work in iraq II

http://www.ogrish.com/archives/dog_s...r_16_2005.html

charge....you probably won't want to see this...made me as angry as hell.
March 20th, 2005  
Bootboy82

that's just sick...
March 20th, 2005  
Charge 7

There are sick individuals everywhere. The US Army is no different from any other large group of people in that respect. So I hope that nobody thinks this cruelty is emblematic of of the many fine individuals who serve and are just as repulsed to see this video as anybody else. War's devastation is, of course, quite taxing on the psyche. Those of lower thresholds of behavior can find outlets for their aggressions. I see this as most likely something related to that. I most certainly do not excuse it, and were I in position to do something about it, you could be certain that I would. I do, however, understand how people can get to this point and I hope that these individuals can get the mental help they most certainly need.
--
Boots
March 20th, 2005  
03USMC

Having talked to some service members recently returned from Iraq, I have been informed that in some areas the dogs have been feeding on dead bodies and running at large until they have become a public safety and health hazard. Some units have a standing order to engage these types of dogs on sight.
March 20th, 2005  
Redleg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
Having talked to some service members recently returned from Iraq, I have been informed that in some areas the dogs have been feeding on dead bodies and running at large until they have become a public safety and health hazard. Some units have a standing order to engage these types of dogs on sight.
This is the case in many countries, not just Iraq.
We did shoot several wild dogs when I worked abroad, since they did not fear humans, and attacked children (and even adults) sometimes.

But as Charge said, sick individuals are everywhere, and a few a-holes takes the whole dog killing thingy too far.
March 20th, 2005  
chewie_nz

i think both charge and 03 are correct,

if it is a case of standing orders...all well & good (maybe don't tape it or show a bit more professionalism perhaps?)

but if it's more a case of bored kids with access to firearms picking on something that can't defend it's self...i hope these guys get punished

as some one who loves dog (and charge will agree i'm sure) that was very hard to watch
March 21st, 2005  
Kilgore

I believe they were just shooting at wild dogs that eat corpses and attack people. If its that case then that dog should be put down.

There are sick morons out there though....
March 21st, 2005  
Boobies

Topic: Yikes...

I believe what USMC said about possibilities of shooting hazardous dogs. However, from reading the little note above the video links, I think they are the few sick individuals like Charge mentioned.
March 21st, 2005  
A Can of Man

Yeah, they could have been a bit more merciful and put one in the head.

Also a note to remember is that the dog is considered a dirty animal in Muslim cultures. I remember in my Indonesia and Malaysia days that they wouldn't touch dogs when either the dog was wet or their hand was wet... and apparently that's only because they had it light. I was told that the strict ones didn't touch dogs at all as they were considered one of the unclean animals. However, this was a bit relaxed because I think the Bataks (Sumatran highland people) always kept dogs or something. Can't remember the full story.
So yeah, killing the stray dogs for the locals is doing them a huge favor, especially if the dogs are going through the dead. That would be serious insult to the dead.
March 21st, 2005  
Boobies

13th, thanks for telling us. Boy, I never knew and here is a reading of dog and Islam.

http://www.scholarofthehouse.org/dinistrandna.html

I do hate dogs that bite the masters or home-less dogs turn scavengers, like eating dead bodies human or animals. That is messed up.