Impotant work in iraq II

There are sick individuals everywhere. The US Army is no different from any other large group of people in that respect. So I hope that nobody thinks this cruelty is emblematic of of the many fine individuals who serve and are just as repulsed to see this video as anybody else. War's devastation is, of course, quite taxing on the psyche. Those of lower thresholds of behavior can find outlets for their aggressions. I see this as most likely something related to that. I most certainly do not excuse it, and were I in position to do something about it, you could be certain that I would. I do, however, understand how people can get to this point and I hope that these individuals can get the mental help they most certainly need.

Having talked to some service members recently returned from Iraq, I have been informed that in some areas the dogs have been feeding on dead bodies and running at large until they have become a public safety and health hazard. Some units have a standing order to engage these types of dogs on sight.

03USMC said:
Having talked to some service members recently returned from Iraq, I have been informed that in some areas the dogs have been feeding on dead bodies and running at large until they have become a public safety and health hazard. Some units have a standing order to engage these types of dogs on sight.

This is the case in many countries, not just Iraq.
We did shoot several wild dogs when I worked abroad, since they did not fear humans, and attacked children (and even adults) sometimes.

But as Charge said, sick individuals are everywhere, and a few a-holes takes the whole dog killing thingy too far.

i think both charge and 03 are correct,

if it is a case of standing orders...all well & good (maybe don't tape it or show a bit more professionalism perhaps?)

but if it's more a case of bored kids with access to firearms picking on something that can't defend it's self...i hope these guys get punished

as some one who loves dog (and charge will agree i'm sure) that was very hard to watch

I believe they were just shooting at wild dogs that eat corpses and attack people. If its that case then that dog should be put down.

There are sick morons out there though....

Yikes...

I believe what USMC said about possibilities of shooting hazardous dogs. However, from reading the little note above the video links, I think they are the few sick individuals like Charge mentioned.

Yeah, they could have been a bit more merciful and put one in the head.

Also a note to remember is that the dog is considered a dirty animal in Muslim cultures. I remember in my Indonesia and Malaysia days that they wouldn't touch dogs when either the dog was wet or their hand was wet... and apparently that's only because they had it light. I was told that the strict ones didn't touch dogs at all as they were considered one of the unclean animals. However, this was a bit relaxed because I think the Bataks (Sumatran highland people) always kept dogs or something. Can't remember the full story.
So yeah, killing the stray dogs for the locals is doing them a huge favor, especially if the dogs are going through the dead. That would be serious insult to the dead.

03USMC's point is well taken. In such circumstances there would be the need. Also 13th Redneck makes a valid point that Muslims would find an even greater offense from dogs than the rest of us. However, as Boobies, mentioned, the note included with that video on the web page and the vocal comments from the troops in the video itself make me think these guys need help. If you kill a dog because it is your duty that's one thing, if you revel in a slow agonizing death for one that is quite another. Let me reitterate though that combat stress leads to actions like this in a very small number of people. I choose to believe that these troops have a problem and one that can be treated.

I agree if their randomly lighting up dogs for :cen: 's and grins. I just wanted it put in perspective that there are troops over there doing it for a valid reason. Before someone accused the entire US Armed Forces of crimes against Canines and wanted a Haugh Court Convened.

I'm glad you did bring that up, 03, and I'm equally glad for 13th Redneck's comments reminding us of the way dogs are viewed in the Muslim world. As with most things in life, there's usually another side to the story.

The first thing that comes to my head when I see such a video is: I want those bastards dead. Get this comment banned or whatever but THAT has no possible excuses. You guys make me sick when you try to excuse it with safety reasons. A US soldier is not able to kill a dog with one bullet in the head? That dog was deliberately killed slowly for the fun of watching him suffer and die.
I would never trust someone who takes fun at doing such a thing. He would do quite the same to a person.
Shame on them.

During our involvement in East Timor, our Rat catchers (environmental health ) were tasked with putting down suspect dogs. mainly out of concerns for rabbis etc.
So I suppose it would be a bigger issue in Iraq with so many strays on the loose.
I think its a bad idea to let any troops on the street blast away at dogs.
Some pretty poor leadership out there.

Italian Guy said:
The first thing that comes to my head when I see such a video is: I want those bastards dead. Get this comment banned or whatever but THAT has no possible excuses. You guys make me sick when you try to excuse it with safety reasons. A US soldier is not able to kill a dog with one bullet in the head? That dog was deliberately killed slowly for the fun of watching him suffer and die.
I would never trust someone who takes fun at doing such a thing. He would do quite the same to a person.
Shame on them.

agree

Back