Important Questions in re: my sons eligibility for enlisting

jeff1450

Hello,
My son is 16 years old and in the 10th grade. When he was 7 years old he was diagnosed with slight tendencies of Assbergers Syndrome. My million dollar question is this: My son began receiving social security disability shortly after he turned 14. When he graduates from high school would he be eligible for enlistment into the military? He has wanted to do this since he was about 12 yrs. old and I don't know what to tell him. Thanks for any response and your time.

Appreciated

Yea, I've supported his interest for serving our country but always assumed that receiving disabilty because of his diagnosis would definitely go against any chance of enlisting. If there were no disability aid, I've researched enough to confidently say he had a decent shot at getting in.................but A recruiter WOULD be able to tell me probably before I finished the question..! haha Thanks for the advice; it's what I kind of knew---just needed a second opinion:salute2:

welcome... best thing would be to talk to a recruiter... i can ask around here off line and see what I can find... I think it might come down to the ability to not only get medically cleared, but to see what the ability to take the ASVAB would be.

Welcome Jeff. My son is on the spectrum as well, though he is just 5 years old. I know there are people with undiagnosed Aspergers serving/ed in uniform. The rub lies in having been diagnosed. Ask the recruiter and I hope he is able to live his dream.

In many ways having Aspergers will make life in the military very difficult depending on his level of functioning and how severe his condition is. If he is unable to grasp non-verbal cues or implied meanings and takes everything very literally he will encounter a lot of problems just in BASIC training.

You might also contact Autism Awareness and see if they have any resources/advice regarding people on the spectrum serving in uniform.

Back