im new to this!

afogg390

hello! my name is allison, im 18 yrs old and thinking about joining the armed forces to better myself and my life. i have plans to go to the westover air force base at sometime this week to speak to recruiters. basically, i just want to hear from people about there experiences, and how they started out, because like i said, im clueless! one specific question i have is how do you decide what you want to do, which branch to join, and once you sign up, how long does it usually take to go to boot camp? also, what type of questions are on the ASFAB?

Last edited:
Hi Allison. I served in the Royal Air Force, I would assume that the trades in the RAF and the USAF are pretty similar. I would strongly suggest that you pick a trade that will be of use to you once you become a civilian again, something like aero engine mech, airframe fitter. Then there is the medical side, there will be something that will stand you in good stead later on in life.

In my day boot camp was 6 weeks, 6 weeks of square bashing and learning to salute and all the rest of the bull, then I went onto trade training, that's when it got really interesting. You will have a lot of fun and make some really good friends, friends that last a lifetime.

Good luck with what you decide.

Greetings Allison, welcome to the forum...

Opa Brit has given a good view on this. I am positive some of the forum members will do, too...

I am in the healthcare sector,but I would like to think that it is all the same for any kind of industry- you want to do something that would bring rewards- in any kind or manner, legally, of course.

And you have have to have a passion for what you do, otherwise, it will be mundane stint for you...

Cheers, and best wishes, mate! :)

Welcome to the forum.
Along with what everyone else has said, it's definitely worth your time to speak to the recruiters and ask what the USAF can offer you and what you'll be expected to offer in return.
However, always remember that the recruiter's job is to convince you to join up so don't hesitate to get a second opinion if you're unsure of something.

Hello, and welcome to the forum. You'll receive much needed advice here and do talk to the recruiters.

Back