I'm on my way back into the Army

Glad to see you back in the swing of things Charge. How are things at the mother ship (Ft. Sill)? Is Lawton still as sleezy as I remember it from 97?

Ah, so this was what you were referencing in one of your replies in my thread, sir. First time I'm seeing this thread.

Is the new post relatively close to home, at least?

Sorry to have missed that question, LT. By now you probably know the answer. We moved 1200 miles south. :eek:

Just thought I'd let you all know I've been promoted. I was long overdue when I was in the Guard, but those of you who have any knowledge of it, know that promotion there depends on having a slot available and there were none for a long time. That was part of why I retired, but only a small part. I won't get into the rest of it here. Now I'm in the regulars again for a few years and a new set of opportunities applies.

In any event, if you've been following my story, you know that all I had hoped for was to be in uniform and be of service to my old comrades. I got the uniform but the Army saw fit to utilize my talents elsewhere. I was kind of upset about it at first, but as one senior officer said to me at the time, "Do you want to be in the fight or don't you?". So I sucked it up, and eventually came to realize that by training young officers I was doing a great deal to be of service to my country and thereby, my old comrades in arms. Being promoted was pretty much unexpected. I thought I'd do a few years and when I hit, 60 leave and retire with a few more points is all. To make Lt. Colonel is beyond my ability to express words of thanks. All I can say is that I hope those of you who've been handed something by the military other than what you expected can use my experience as a lesson that if you carry on and fight the good fight, you may in the end get more than you had hoped for, even if it's not what you had originally wished for.

Congratulations, colonel. You are probably very right about being used to train young officers, you have a lot of experience to offer, and if I can judge from what I've read of all your posts, they are very lucky to have you.

Heh, I doubt it. :)

When the Military Channel did their four-episode special where they followed the Blue Angels for a year, they interviewed the commanding officer, known as "Boss." He said, "I'm not sure how the term 'Boss' got started...even my boss calls me 'Boss.' My wife doesn't call me 'Boss', but..." :mrgreen:

Thanks again, guys. :)

As for the job, IG, I'm lovin' it. I got my feet wet with ROTC at a very large institution where the military life is done on a pretty large scale. That was good to get going again, but my new posting makes me very happy indeed. It's a small affair, but then I rather like being a "big fish in a small pond". Being from tiny Vermont, that shouldn't be all that surprising. :lol:

And as for Molly ever calling me "sir" it would be laden with sarcasm if at all. I won't tell you the nice names she has for me obviously, but her usual nickname for me is "Rambo" (try not to fall over laughing) it comes easy to an Italian girl and it's been another of our long running gags. :rolleyes:

Glad to hear you're doing well, sir. I also get a kick out of working with kids, I've often wondered if I wanted to apply for a job at VFMA or NYMA after I retired from the PHS...

Charge, it has been a pleasure to follow your story. Amusingly, you are the top of the food chain and I am at the bottom in the ROTC system. From time to time, you have given me a lot of food for though, and I am appreciative of that. It is good to see that you have found your place again. I had a taste of that upon my return from Iraq. There was a 6 month period where I was not going forward or backward. Once I decided to go back to the military, things fell into place. I am assuming you have experienced something like that.

I think I have a more interesting situation with my wife. As you know, she’s in the Army. We have talked it over and she is going to reenlist in Iraq before coming home. This means she will still be in when I become an officer. Soon we will be officer and NCO and husband and wife. Oh the fun and interesting experiences that will produce. :sick: :D

ok, enough of my ramble. Congrads on making colonel

Doody

Back to the top. Just FYI, sir -- you've inspired me to look for some local NJROTC programs, see if I can help them out and volunteer some time.

Late to the fray and unfamiliar with your situation, but:

Congrats on the headlamps, sir. That's two Lt. Colonels and one Colonel I've seen on here thus far. This board is doomed! :mrgreen:

All we need is a flag/general officer, then Redleg can just shut this place down entirely. :mrgreen:

Back