I'm on my way back into the Army

What type of position are you going to be filling as an E-7 in the Arillery?

If you do not know, what type of jod would you want? The wonderful thing about artillery is you never quite know what your job is going to be.

I still don't know what job I'll get. All they're telling me "for sure" is that I will be with my old battalion and when it comes right down to it, that's what matters most to me. I am not limited to just E-7 positions. The Guard allows you to be one rank higher than the slot you're in as this allows prior service people more ability to be placed. So I could wind up in an E-6 slot. But of E-7 slots I would most want one of the two slots in a firing battery. Either the Gunnery Sergeant or the Chief of Smoke. Other than that, FIST would be fine and so would Battalion Fire Directions Chief.

Well, here's an update. Just got off the phone. I've got good news and bad news. Bad news is I won't be going off with my old battalion - at least not this time and more than likely as not, not ever. The good news is I found out the reason for the holdup with getting a date for my physical. It was a means of slowing the process down while things could be changed. It appears the higher authority (I won't name names) wasn't real happy about an officer who had not failed to be promoted taking a bust to Sergeant First Class. I was very good at my job and evidently would've been promoted had I stayed in longer. I just got fed up with the job I was in at the time and made what was, in retrospect, the wrong decision.

In the intervening years I have achieved my masters degree in education with an eye on becoming a high school teacher. I was lining up a job doing that this year. This is later in life stuff so you younger folk may not be all that familiar with the concept of "self-actualization" but that was what I was after. I've made my money in the investment world and from those incomes and my Army retirement pay I had nothing to worry about for my fiancial future. Being a teacher was all about making myself happy and a contribution to the community.

More about the good news: Getting the masters degree and the afore mentioned higher authority's feelings have meshed in that it now appears I will be re-activated as a Major and have every opportunity to make Lt. Colonel before my eventual final retirement. They want to keep me here stateside as an instructor. Right now the idea is that I will either go to the Vermont Military Academy and work with the OCS and NCO schools there as well as have something to do with the Mountain Warfare School that is co-located there, or I may wind up in an ROTC program instead. Norwich is about 10 miles from me. All too soon to say for sure where I'll go but the winds have changed and I'm off on a different course. I thought you folks would be interested.

That was surely a different turn of events. So it sounds like you're still going ahead with this even though they're keeping you out of the sandbox? There's a lot to be said for being involved in instruction too. You certainly will have the satisfaction of contributing to the cause. I'm not sure how I would have felt toward the decision by the powers that be, had it been me though. In any event, I'm sure you'll do a great job wherever you get assigned and I wish you all the best.

Yeah Top, I was heartbroken at first, but a Colonel said to me "Do you want to contribute to the fight or don't you? You can be an even greater use to the larger picture here." I can't argue with that. If I can help make better Lieutenants and/or Sergeants for many units then I've accomplished something quite worthwhile. My heart will forever be with the 86th FA though. Who knows? I may wind up there again anyways eventually. That was hinted at to me as well. I won't count on it, but it makes me feel better.

that is an interesting turn of events. I must say that I would really like ot travel down the path that you have traveled Charge 7. Ever since Iraq, my plans have been to become an officer, hopefully retire as a major and become a teacher of sorts.

If you are going to be in Vermont, I may have to pay a visit since Maine is not that far away. If you like lobster, I can get you some dirt cheap since my dad has the fisherman connections.

Cheers

Thanks, Doody! And yes, next time you're in Maine please let me know. Only about a 3 hour drive or so depending on where your folks are there. It certainly does appear I'm not leaving the state any time soon. Oh well, I'm glad to be getting back in and happy to be of use. Latest word is it seems I will be at VMA.

Well had my first meeting with the folks where I'll be working today. In the next few weeks I'll formally be an actively serving major once again. There will be pictures and hoo haw etc. I might even be on the evening news. Not that difficult in Vermont though - we have grade school projects hit the local news here. ;) :lol:

Boy, if you want to feel old go meet some folks you haven't seen in green in many years. I ran into a 1LT today I knew back when he was a goofy private. Made me feel both ancient and good at the same time. He told me that I had been an important person to him in his early career because I took the time to deal with him in a contructive and pleasant manner when he was getting alot of teasing for being a goofy kid.

Which brings me to my next observation. You know all those nice things people say about you when you leave or retire from someplace? Doesn't hold a candle to how it makes you feel to see people genuinely happy to see you come back. Such smiling faces, laughs, and kind words can't be faked so easily when you will now be a part of their world again. If ever I had doubted I had been a good officer, a good leader, or a good soldier I had every shred of that doubt forever disposed of. Though I got no physical reward today such as a letter, a medal, etc. the reward I did get today meant more than any other.

I'll see what I can do. Alot of times they take pictures of these things and they never see the light of day, but if I can I'll ask one of the photographers about it. Maybe have my fiancée take some snapshots. Depends on her schedule.

Well my papers are finally in and this weekend is the ceremony. Needless to say I'm looking forward to it very much. I'm off to Ft. Sill next month for awhile.

Well for Gods Sake stay off Cache Road :lol: (heard stories about that place).

Best of Luck Charge.

Nice! :D

Congratulations, and have fun!
Drop by and post a few lines (and pictures?) if you're able (and want) to do that later.. :)

Back