I'm kind of stunned

Jilly

I am not shocked, this sort of thing is common. And the fact your company is doing well means nothing. The American work force is costly, and if a company can move its operations elsewhere because its cheaper, it will do so.
not a political thread...

I feel bad for her I really do, but I suppose this what it looks like when people are seen as commodities and the American dream has been packaged, priced, and exported elsewhere.

Layoffs for reasons other than reduced demand, are common not only in the US business world, but also worldwide...
The real problem is this: there's no reduced demand!!
There's only the greed of big Companies trying to keep their level of profits high (as ever). If this means "cutting" jobs all over the world, who cares? There are always the poorer countries in which production can be obtained at lower costs (of labour, above all) and there is no great fuss about environmental issues and so on.
This is not economy, this is not protecting businesses...
THIS IS JUST GREED, PURE AND SIMPLE...

Meanwhile, countries in which the cost of labour is lower than it is in the great industrial countries (China, in primis) are growing every year at a 10% rate on GNP...
Let's go on like this: sooner or later, we're gonna go east, us all, guys... and we are going to forget economic development as we knew it in the last 2 centuries.
Everybody is going to work all day for bum paychecks and a fistful of rice for dinner.
Is this our future? Let me have a doubt about it...

Already did that, working and toiling to just cover costs to go back next week.

Course I have no doubt that after school I'll be right back in that situation with accumulated student debt.

I agree with most of the others and believe you should accept the early retirement. Yes, it's not fair. I'm very sorry you're going through this as are many hard working people around the world.
Things have to get better soon. It's something we hold on to, especially in a time of war.
There are so many families losing their homes, jobs, their positions in life are changing drastically and it's taking it's toll.
We have to keep the faith and hold on to what we have, try to make smart decisions and keep our heads held high no matter what.
I wish you so much luck. I'm very sincere when I say that.
God bless.

Back