I'm fed up with the UN

OK, so you think Syria is next on the menu? I would have thought Iran.

How much will this one cost?

My gut feeling is a lot of you guys are getting very frustrated.

Here is another blow to my opinion about the UN.

Saddam diverted $21 bil from U.N. oil-for-food program

WASHINGTON — Saddam Hussein's regime made more than $21.3 billion in illegal revenue by subverting the U.N. oil-for-food program and other sanctions — more than double previous estimates, according to congressional investigators.

"This is like an onion — we just keep uncovering more layers and more layers," said Sen Norm Coleman, R-Minn, whose Senate Committee on Government Affairs received the new information at hearing Monday.

New figures on Iraq's alleged surcharges, kickbacks — and oil-smuggling dating back to 1991 — are based on troves of new documents obtained by the committee's investigative panel, Coleman told reporters before the hearing. The documents illustrate how Iraqi officials, foreign companies and sometimes politicians allegedly contrived to allow the Iraqi government vast illicit gains.

The findings also reflect a growing understanding by investigators of the intricate schemes Saddam used to buy support abroad for a move to lift U.N. sanctions...
READ MORE
-----------------------------------------------

How can you lose $21 billion over 10 years??? I sense a little corruption at the UN. The one thing that makes me mad is the UN is not really moving fast to investigate this problem. I have also heard that the countries who were against military action in Iraq are the ones who benefited most from that $21 billion

grrrrrrrrrrrrr.......

I heard that too and I double checked it by looking at some Swiss source. Confirmed it. Not found any Belgian ones or anything...
But yeah I think Kofi Annan needs some investigating.
With 21 Billion dollars you can build a pretty decent army.

In my opinion, Koffi Anan is not doing a very good job. All they do is discuss the crisis on the table and allow time to be wasted. Time is not a luxury we all have!

No more UN

Any idiot that thinks its a good idea to give up our cherished national sovereignty up to some corrupt world government unit or mechanism, such as the UN, might as well just be a terrorist or defector of our country. GLAD KERRY LOST.. phewww.... it would have been a close one. But seriously, the UN is quickly going the way of the League of Nations. Unfortunately, the world is not one big cooperative meltingpot. Rather, it is sectioned off my individual interests that are often times competing, and cooperation is done only under the guise of beneffiting from it; meaning that the moment that cooperation does not yield a benefit to a particular sovereign state, it will cease to cooperate, and that is what is wrong with the United Nations model or any other liberal model of cooperation for that matter. Human nature just isn't compatible with these fairy tale ideas of cooperation. What we need to do is seek our own national interest and continue to propagate around the globe the core values that has made America what it is now, be vigilant for the sake of our people and our country, and be ready to mobilize our troops against things we perceive to be a threat to our sovereignty, freedom, and way of life. I hate to sound cliche, folks, but 9-11 changed everything and proved that the ideologies behind organizations like the UN are not only old and outdated, but incompatible with the current state of affairs we are facing in the world and we need to completely do away with it.

REUTERS
23rd November, 2004

UN TO SEND TROOPS AFTER PARTIES REACH PEACE DEAL

KHARTOUM. The UN will send thousands of troops to southern Sudan after the expected signing of a peace accord by the Sudanese Government and southern rebels.
UN special envoy Jan Pronk said about 7000 troops would be sent by the end of the year to monitor a deal between the Sudan Government and the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement/Army.
Recent fighting has driven 1.5 million people from their homes and into refugee camps such as Abushouk, near the city of El Fasher. Mr Pronk’s comments come just days after the Government and the rebels pledged to sign a peace accord by the end of the year.

Since some of you don't think UN so usefull, then what do you think the UN should be organized? Or UN should be simply dismissed?

aussiejohn said:
REUTERS
23rd November, 2004

UN TO SEND TROOPS AFTER PARTIES REACH PEACE DEAL

I started this thread on 17 SEP. 2 months later, the UN finally takes action. It'll probably be a few more weeks before troops are sent in. I wonder how many people have died since 17 SEP.

One of the missions of the UN is to attempt to prevent messes like Sudan. That would take precedence over cleaning the mess after its all over. I think some kind of military action may have stopped the Sudan thing sooner. Kinda like what NATO did in the Balkans

REUTERS, New York Times.

23rd November, 2004.

IRAN BOWS TO UN ON NUCLEAR PROGRAM

Iran yesterday said that it had suspended its uranium enrichment activities to allay fears it was trying to make a nuclear bomb and to avoid UN sanctions.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Hamid Reza Assefi said on Sunday the suspension would begin on November 22. “We have said we will suspend our enrichment activities, and we will do it”, Mr Assefi said. Yesterday state-run television had confirmed it had been halted.
Earlier this month, Iran agreed with Britain, Germany, & France to suspend its uranium enrichment program in return for economic benefits. The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is to meet on Thursday to decide whether to send Iran’s case to the UN Security Council for possible sanctions.
While Iran insists that its nuclear program is for electricity production only, the US has accused it of trying to make nuclear weapons. Washington increased its pressure after diplomats accused Iran last week of racing to produce significant quantities of Uranium hexafluoride, a gas that can be enriched for use in nuclear weapons, right up to its deadline.
An Iranian opposition group also claimed last week, in Vienna and Paris, that Tehran was deceiving the world and conducting a secret weapons program at an undisclosed sight.
Mr Assefi dismissed the accusations about its nuclear program and said the report about uranium hexafluoride production was “just part of the propaganda to weaken relations Iran and the agency and the work on building trust with the Europeans”.
“What we have been doing over the past few days conforms with the Paris Accord and has been carried out under the supervision of the agency”.
Mr Assefi accused the US of trickery, and said the Bush Administration’s allegations about Iran’s nuclear activites were “a sign of its anger”.
“The Americans are not happy about our co-operation with the Europeans, but taking into account that we have co-operated with the IAEA and Europe, there is nothing to be worried about”, he said.
Gholamreza Aghazadeh, chief of Iran’s Atomic Energy Organisation, also denied the charges that Tehran had accelerated enrichment activites.
A team of IAEA inspectors is in Iran to oversee the suspension.

i personally think that NATO is dead in the water, the UN is not meant to be a miracle cure, it takes time to get things moving, that said, the diverting of funds is not good to say the least.

I once started a topic here for how to build a better World Government. Nobody wants there to be one it seems -- so essentially the World wants a UN that is powerless outside of humanitarian crap. Its a pretty good point -- I don't think the world wants the UN or any other International governing body to ever be given any real power.

If we base this on how "good" the UN has done, in my opinion it should be dismissed.

I don't see much in peacekeeping, but I am seeing some wonderful work in Relief work and rebuiding in my short time on this earth.

Frankly I have no love for the UN, it should be given standing as a charity organization and be done with it.

*had to hold back a groan* Oil for Food program.....wonder how long it will take them to try to pin that on Bush since he is the devil and gets blamed for everything.

WMD- The probability of Hussien NOT having them is very slim. He was a power hungry nut job. Of course he has the weapons. He is just smart enough to hide them. I highly doubt there will be any found, unless they are used agaisnt us.

FlyingFrog said:
Since some of you don't think UN so usefull, then what do you think the UN should be organized? Or UN should be simply dismissed?

That is exactly what should be done: DISMISSED or restructured in a way that takes into account the realities of individual foreign policies in today's world.

OK, I don't think "dismissing it" is an option.

So how do you guys want to restructure it?

I think the US needs the UN in Iraq more than ever.

Your right but the UN needs the US far more than the US needs the UN. We need the UN now just to get US troops out of Iraq. Without the US I think the UN would be degraded to a pure humanitarian operation, America is the muscle behind the UN.

Back