I'm fed up with the UN - Page 17




 
--
Boots
 
October 18th, 2005  
Ramjet
 
I think the concept of the UN is great. The idea of a forum where countries can co-operate should be applauded. I also agree with the concept of an arena where a country can [theoretically at least] be held accountable for their actions.

However, like every other large organization, they are not infalliable.

I also don't understand the necessity of the Security Council. If the UN truly intends on being a round-table organization, then five countries should not have the power to veto a decision.

Also, I think one of the reasons why the UN works so slowly at times is because there are so many members. The more members there is to an organization, the more dissension there is. It's a shame but I don't think there's a way around that.
October 18th, 2005  
mmarsh
 
 
Doody

When Robert Mugabe (a dictator with blood on his hands) criticizes the US and people actually cheer there is a problem, not the UN but with the US. Zimbabwe is run by a tyrant who persecutes his own people through violence and intimidation (White Farmers), not to mention any political opponent who dares criticize him (Morgan Tsangurii).

And yet people actually feel more compassion to Mugabe (a dictator), Chavez (a quasi-communist) and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (an Islamic extremist) than they do about a democracy such as the USA. Thats a frightening

Its not that these people are liked so much as we are hated. The UN maybe inefficent (political quabbles), corrupt (oil-for-food) or spineless (Rwanda, Bosnia) but its not responisable for our bad image, we are.
October 18th, 2005  
5.56X45mm
 
 
The UN doesn't work. PERIOD. A bunch of pansy girly men argueing about this and that and then saying that they'll do something and do nothing. GET THE U.S. OF OUT THE U.N. AND GET THE U.N. OUT OF THE U.S.

'Nuff Said...

Luis (5.56X45MM)

Here are some defenations from the Urban Dictionary
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=UN
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...United+Nations

(1) UN

An ever-increasingly irrelevant group of nations whose widespread corruption is coming to light.
The UN's time is passing. Can you say "Oil-For-Food"?

(2) UN

An organization based on the principles that:

1. Asking your laws to be followed in a polite manner will get you listned to.

2. The USA should have as much say in world matters as Suriname or the Neitherlands.

3. That China and Libya should lead a Human Rights Commitee.
The UN, you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

(3) UN

the United Nations is both a haven for despots and the world-wide headquarters of anti-Americanism, and for all of those foreign readers, they are also Anti-white, so if you are of dark skin living in America they hate you and if you are white living anywhere in the world the UN hates you
just read anything about the UN

(4) UN

The organization that will over the world when we have to fight a instellar war . Many people believe they are related to the black helicopter theory
UN ed over every nation in the anime Evangelion even.

(1) United Nations

See "Oxymoron"

(2) United Nations

A good idea, but somewhat naive and inefficient. Like marriage and Communism, it looks good on paper but often fails in practice.

Formed shortly after the second World War, the idea was to bring representatives of numerous nations together in hope of discussing and peacefully solving whatever conflicts or disputes arose. They have done good in areas of Africa for example, but on the large scale it just doesn't work. Each nation is far too preoccupied with self interest to prevent any large treaties or organizations from being set up or enforced. Perhaps the most visible example of failure would be the recent Iraqi crisis.
Some think that if they had stronger centralized authority then things could improve, but it's hard to know.

(3) United Nations

please see "retarded"
The United Nations wants to control the entire world.

(4) United Nations

An all-knowing, all-seeing organization which in allowed Iraq to ship all of their biological and chemical WMDs to Syria by having Charter members Russia and France drag their feet in refusing to ratify unilateral military action under the obvious guise of "diplomatic negotiations" AKA Food for Oil program
Then after the United States and ITS ALLIES proceeded to enforce 1441, they cried foul, blood for oil, etc. And for the icing on this cake, the UN secretary general now says that the U.S. engaged in a totally illegal military action.
United Nations? Not since WWII my friends!

(5) United Nations

A support group for people who are unusually obsessed with Israel for some reason.
Contains both raging leftists and crazy Islamists who just sit around and talk about Israel all day long in Manhattan with American money paying to clean up all the filth that spills out when you open the door.
Why don't they all just move it to Palestine?
The feckless condor circled the U.N. building, looking for the dead Jew.

(6) United Nations

A group of nations whose purpose is increasingly irrelevant; whose widespread corruption is now coming to light.
The corruption of the United Nations is growing unchecked. Can't wait 'till Annan tries to explain the "Oil-for-Food" program.

(7) United Nations

A tool of the devil if ever their was one.
The biography of the united nations is avaliable in the Biblical book of Revelations.

(8) United Nations

Terrorist supporting ers!

A Racist organization that is vile and corrupt.A CLOWN-puppet of America's mortal enemies that supports terrorists and brutal dictatorial regimes and condemns benign states for minor .
AN outright enemy of the U.S. and Israel.

The UN should be evicted from the U.S. and their building demolished.
Evict the racist,evil UN and demolish the UN building at once!

It should be noted that the incompetent douchebag John Kerry states eerily similar phrasing to Kofi Annan,Jane Fonda and Saddam Hussein.

The UN is a racist cabal of America's enemies whom we rent a building to.

(9) United Nations

a good dream, pity about the fact that the amount of vetoes that have been passed by the USA to any resolutions they dont like/criticizing israel has rendered it useless
the un: great ambition, cruelly betrayed.

(10) United Nations

A place where dialog can be used to prevent bloodshed.

Relevant only to those preferring dialog.
Why waste time talking in the UN - let's kick ass!
--
Boots
October 19th, 2005  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
The UN doesn't work. PERIOD. A bunch of pansy girly men argueing about this and that and then saying that they'll do something and do nothing. GET THE U.S. OF OUT THE U.N. AND GET THE U.N. OUT OF THE U.S.

'Nuff Said...

Luis (5.56X45MM)

Here are some defenations from the Urban Dictionary
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=UN
http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...United+Nations

(1) UN

An ever-increasingly irrelevant group of nations whose widespread corruption is coming to light.
The UN's time is passing. Can you say "Oil-For-Food"?

(2) UN

An organization based on the principles that:

1. Asking your laws to be followed in a polite manner will get you listned to.

2. The USA should have as much say in world matters as Suriname or the Neitherlands.

3. That China and Libya should lead a Human Rights Commitee.
The UN, you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

(3) UN

the United Nations is both a haven for despots and the world-wide headquarters of anti-Americanism, and for all of those foreign readers, they are also Anti-white, so if you are of dark skin living in America they hate you and if you are white living anywhere in the world the UN hates you
just read anything about the UN

(4) UN

The organization that will over the world when we have to fight a instellar war . Many people believe they are related to the black helicopter theory
UN ed over every nation in the anime Evangelion even.

(1) United Nations

See "Oxymoron"

(2) United Nations

A good idea, but somewhat naive and inefficient. Like marriage and Communism, it looks good on paper but often fails in practice.

Formed shortly after the second World War, the idea was to bring representatives of numerous nations together in hope of discussing and peacefully solving whatever conflicts or disputes arose. They have done good in areas of Africa for example, but on the large scale it just doesn't work. Each nation is far too preoccupied with self interest to prevent any large treaties or organizations from being set up or enforced. Perhaps the most visible example of failure would be the recent Iraqi crisis.
Some think that if they had stronger centralized authority then things could improve, but it's hard to know.

(3) United Nations

please see "retarded"
The United Nations wants to control the entire world.

(4) United Nations

An all-knowing, all-seeing organization which in allowed Iraq to ship all of their biological and chemical WMDs to Syria by having Charter members Russia and France drag their feet in refusing to ratify unilateral military action under the obvious guise of "diplomatic negotiations" AKA Food for Oil program
Then after the United States and ITS ALLIES proceeded to enforce 1441, they cried foul, blood for oil, etc. And for the icing on this cake, the UN secretary general now says that the U.S. engaged in a totally illegal military action.
United Nations? Not since WWII my friends!

(5) United Nations

A support group for people who are unusually obsessed with Israel for some reason.
Contains both raging leftists and crazy Islamists who just sit around and talk about Israel all day long in Manhattan with American money paying to clean up all the filth that spills out when you open the door.
Why don't they all just move it to Palestine?
The feckless condor circled the U.N. building, looking for the dead Jew.

(6) United Nations

A group of nations whose purpose is increasingly irrelevant; whose widespread corruption is now coming to light.
The corruption of the United Nations is growing unchecked. Can't wait 'till Annan tries to explain the "Oil-for-Food" program.

(7) United Nations

A tool of the devil if ever their was one.
The biography of the united nations is avaliable in the Biblical book of Revelations.

(8) United Nations

Terrorist supporting ers!

A Racist organization that is vile and corrupt.A CLOWN-puppet of America's mortal enemies that supports terrorists and brutal dictatorial regimes and condemns benign states for minor .
AN outright enemy of the U.S. and Israel.

The UN should be evicted from the U.S. and their building demolished.
Evict the racist,evil UN and demolish the UN building at once!

It should be noted that the incompetent douchebag John Kerry states eerily similar phrasing to Kofi Annan,Jane Fonda and Saddam Hussein.

The UN is a racist cabal of America's enemies whom we rent a building to.

(9) United Nations

a good dream, pity about the fact that the amount of vetoes that have been passed by the USA to any resolutions they dont like/criticizing israel has rendered it useless
the un: great ambition, cruelly betrayed.

(10) United Nations

A place where dialog can be used to prevent bloodshed.

Relevant only to those preferring dialog.
Why waste time talking in the UN - let's kick ass!
Dude you have issues.

Quote:
GET THE U.S. OF OUT THE U.N. AND GET THE U.N. OUT OF THE U.S.
So go who is begging the US to stay?
The simple fact of the matter is that the US is in the UN because the US government wants to be in the UN and no other reason so please give us a break from this pointless rhetoric.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padre
I know for a fact that some agencies of the U.N. do great humanitarian work, that wouldn't happen or would not happen as fast, without the U.N. However that's the workers/volunteers on the ground. I am far from impressed with the UN executives who seem to be or have become fat cats on the c**k-tail circuit over-seeing a useless costly bureaucracy.
Agreed, but one of the problems with the UN (and you can tell from some of the posts in this thread) is that its mission is almost an impossibility to achieve unless everyone is prepared to accept its authority and findings, this problem has been compounded since the Iraq fiasco as now every nation has been given the precident to ignore the UN when ever it feels like it.

To those that believe the UN is worthless heres something to consider, the UN is not a government and it has no more authority than each of its member states gives it therefore the UNs success or failure is infact the success and failure of our own governments so perhaps thats the place to start "fixing" the UN.
October 19th, 2005  
5.56X45mm
 
 
I want to U.S out of the U.N. Currently my Government will not leave, why? Because the majority of my fellow citizens do not see the threat that the U.N. is to our rights and freedoms. But the word is being spread and the sheeple are waking up and becoming people.
October 19th, 2005  
5.56X45mm
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
...this problem has been compounded since the Iraq fiasco as now every nation has been given the precident to ignore the UN when ever it feels like it.

To those that believe the UN is worthless heres something to consider, the UN is not a government and it has no more authority than each of its member states gives it therefore the UNs success or failure is infact the success and failure of our own governments so perhaps thats the place to start "fixing" the UN.
You state in the first part of my qoute of you that nations do not listen to the UN. By typing that you state that the UN is a WORLD POWER, FORM OF GOVERNMENT, or SOME OTHER POWERFUL BODY. And yet in the second part of the qoute you state that the UN has no power, that only it's members are the ones with power.

So in the end, I ask you this. Which one will it be? The UN is all powerful or the UN is nothing. Make up your mind. If only it's members hold the power, than the member nations can do what they want without UN approvial. The UN is about a good idea as communism is. It works on paper but not in real life.
October 19th, 2005  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56X45mm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB
...this problem has been compounded since the Iraq fiasco as now every nation has been given the precident to ignore the UN when ever it feels like it.

To those that believe the UN is worthless heres something to consider, the UN is not a government and it has no more authority than each of its member states gives it therefore the UNs success or failure is infact the success and failure of our own governments so perhaps thats the place to start "fixing" the UN.
You state in the first part of my qoute of you that nations do not listen to the UN. By typing that you state that the UN is a WORLD POWER, FORM OF GOVERNMENT, or SOME OTHER POWERFUL BODY. And yet in the second part of the qoute you state that the UN has no power, that only it's members are the ones with power.

So in the end, I ask you this. Which one will it be? The UN is all powerful or the UN is nothing. Make up your mind. If only it's members hold the power, than the member nations can do what they want without UN approvial. The UN is about a good idea as communism is. It works on paper but not in real life.
Yes and according to science bumble bees and humming birds cant fly either but reality and real life are sometimes stranger than science can explain.

As for my comment I think it is fairly straight forward, the UN is a body primarily designed to work through issues diplomatically if nations choose not to accept the UN's decissions (and by UN I mean its member nations) then there is very little the UN can do about it unless of course they are bad enough to warrant sanctions or military action.

So in the end the UN as pretty much pointed out the first time has as much or as little power as its individual member nations are prepared to give it.

So any more semantics to quibble over?
October 21st, 2005  
MontyB
 
 
Sorry for the double post but heres an interesting read for those "Anti-UN" types.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/s...775899064.html
October 22nd, 2005  
ISLANDFOX
 
I can't be bothered reading this entire thread, so I'll post merely regarding to the original topic creator;

The UN is not an organisation in it's own right. It is not an international power. It is a GROUP of organisations, nations, that use it as a medium for interaction and agreements. Saying "I hate the UN" is saying "I hate all nations who make up the UN", because it is those Governments that vote and make UN decisions. Not some mystical UN council completely seperate to all other nations.

Seriously, kid, learn about this sort of thing before you try and criticise it. Anything the UN does is does by its member states. The closest you can be to "fed up with the UN" is being "fed up with foreign Governments". I personally generally hold a negative stance towards the UN, but only as equally as I hold a negative stance towards most Governments. You must understand that these two are one in the same.
October 23rd, 2005  
Ted
 
 
I'll have to agree with Islanfox here. Getting into action doesn't always mean:" send in the military". I can make a long essay on the "raison d'etre" of the UN but I won't. I'll make it somewhat more bluntly, because pointing a finger is easy if you don't look into the mirror...

Quote:
So with thousands of lives in danger, the UN has once again shown its true colors. I must remind everyone that the UN also looked the other way during the slaughter in Rwanda
First of all; it takes the US a lot more too to get into action. Thousands of dead won't get the 7th fleet moving an inch. Second, I had eleven friends get chopped to pieces in Ruanda while wearing a blue helmet. The US wasn't even on the scene... The UN was there, but they don't belief in blowing everybody to pieces in seconds notice. They like to get the facts in proper order before doing the damage, and yes sometimes that takes a while. Better late then rushing in, blowing to place to pieces and finding out you do it for the wrong reasons.