I'm fed up with the UN - Page 13

--
Boots

December 8th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The UN should just hire PMCs to do the job.
This is the type of stuff they were made for. No government wants to step in because there's more to lose than to gain. No one wants their soldiers getting killed which will hurt them politically.
For a PMC, it's an opportunity. A lot of these guys come from the cutting edge of Special Forces. Peacekeeping is the sort of work these guys were designed to do.
December 8th, 2004  
Young Winston

Were the kick-backs to Saddam in the oil-for-food program such a dirty big secret? Most countries who have wanted to do business in Iraq have been involved in it.

The Australian Wheat Board was selling wheat at inflated prices to the Iraqis. The wheat could only be transported by a Jordanian trucking Company controlled by Saddam. He was getting his kick back!!! The understanding was that if you wanted the wheat moved then this was the only way.
December 8th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiejohn
Were the kick-backs to Saddam in the oil-for-food program such a dirty big secret? Most countries who have wanted to do business in Iraq have been involved in it.

The Australian Wheat Board was selling wheat at inflated prices to the Iraqis. The wheat could only be transported by a Jordanian trucking Company controlled by Saddam. He was getting his kick back!!! The understanding was that if you wanted the wheat moved then this was the only way.
There aren't very many innocent parties in that fiasco, but the damage to the UN's credibility -- especially from the USA's perspective -- is going to take something big to repair. (Yes I do know that some US parties were part of the whole mess). Underlying thing: The sanctions and rules were put in place by the UN and the UN directly involved itself in breaking them for $$$$.
--
Boots
December 8th, 2004  
03USMC

I think that 13th might have the right idea with PMC's. Read the book "The Hunter, The Hammer and Heaven.'" by Robert Young Pelton.
The first part deals with Sierra Leone and the use of PMC's in that country. It also gives pretty good insight on the role of the UN and ECOMIL in these conflicts.

The question would be would a company like Executive Outcomes really want to work for the UN.
December 9th, 2004  
dougal

An infantry BN of the UN from Ireland are there for the last year, The ARW of the Irish Army have been there for longer and did great work one story to note, il dig it up out of the news.

[/quote]That was ECOMIL the UN provided transport and logistics.
December 9th, 2004  
03USMC

The Primary Peacekeeping forces were Nigerian troops deployed by ECOMIL. The Nigerians secured Monorovia and placed a buffer force between the Goverment forces and the Rebel Forces. Ecomil reopened the port and provided security to the airport so that follow on forces from the UN and a MEU could deploy.

ECOMIL was First on the ground and all other troops were follow on forces.
December 9th, 2004  
dougal

Frist on the ground over two years ago I think scouting were the ARW
December 10th, 2004  
A Can of Man

Why wouldn't they want to work for the UN? As long as they're given a pretty lenient ROE, I'd think they'd all be for it. Plus it's up to them to make sure the operation goes well and without controversy because that will affect their liklihood of being hired next and not to mention, their marketability.
I think these guys would work for any organization of good reputation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
I think that 13th might have the right idea with PMC's. Read the book "The Hunter, The Hammer and Heaven.'" by Robert Young Pelton.
The first part deals with Sierra Leone and the use of PMC's in that country. It also gives pretty good insight on the role of the UN and ECOMIL in these conflicts.

The question would be would a company like Executive Outcomes really want to work for the UN.
December 10th, 2004  
03USMC

Yes and No. The UN likes to keep their ROE's pretty tight.Pretty much you have to die before you fight. I think that PMC's especially companies like Executive Outcomes or Sandline who are heavily Former South African SF with mucho Combat expierance might chafe a bit in that type of situation.
December 10th, 2004  
dougal

Lets just say we respect our difference in opions,