I'm dropping out of College.

Insomniac

~resident nutcase
Thank god i don't have to pay. but sh*t, i feel cr*p for dropping out. abso-goddamn-lutely awful :(

Welcome to my world...

I want to drop, because I'm so depressed and getting nothing out of school. But I know there's no way I can.

I've thought about it. even at the Naval Academy; I know I wouldnt still be at a civilian school. But I just cant bring myself to quit, it's just something I've never really been able to do.

i had to drop out: i just ran out of energy and the backlog of work was just too much. =/

oh well, i'll try again next year.

Don't give up Insomniac, have a break, and come back when you are better prepared.

A good education may not guarantee a great job, but a lack of education is worse.

You know, my Uncle recently gave me some good advice... College degrees don't mean anything when it comes to your education... I mean, sure you have to learn the stuff, but the real thing a college degree really means is that you're disciplined enough to stick with it. Disciplined enough to put up with all the BS assignments, BS teachers, and BS classes. You kept your mind focused on the ultimate goal, and THAT'S why college degrees mean so much

You know, my Uncle recently gave me some good advice... College degrees don't mean anything when it comes to your education... I mean, sure you have to learn the stuff, but the real thing a college degree really means is that you're disciplined enough to stick with it. Disciplined enough to put up with all the BS assignments, BS teachers, and BS classes. You kept your mind focused on the ultimate goal, and THAT'S why college degrees mean so much

I agree; in addition....a degree will open doors and opportunities :) My mother who did not have an opportunity at education always said that education starts at home, and will not complete a person,.. but rather the up bringing and morals that person is taught @ home,... :) ps. the effort, time, and determination in achiving a degree is priceless, and no one or anything can ever take that away :)

Last edited:
If you do the work you like, it will be a hobby.... Certainly not work! There hasn't been a day in the past years that I went to work with reluctance. I just love my job and yes, I had to study for it.
A diploma is like money. If you have it it will not necesarily make you happy, but the lack will certainly make you unhappy!

Rob is right, it is a matter of perserverance. Can you make it to a proper ending? But what does an extra year matter just as long as you finish!

If Education is freedom, then work must be hell. Because education is hell.

I must admit, you work all of your life, then die lol.

Education need not be hell, education approached with the right mind set can be fascinating.

An ex RAF fighter pilot told me (he flew Mk18 Spitfires before going onto jets) that flying is not a job, you get paid to enjoy yourself and have the time of your life.

He served 30 years as a RAF pilot, then another 10 years as a pilot in the South African Air Force. I reckoned he loved his job, dont you?

My biggest mistake was turning my hobby into my job. Bad move on my part.

Last edited:
INSOMNIAC+THE OTHER GUY
YOU SHOULDN'T QUIT, BUT YOU DO NEED TO GET HELP.

College is rough to some people, I still get nightmares today (literally) about my time there at that was 15 years ago. Do not think you can just tough it out on your own, chances are you won't without aid.1. First of all. IF YOU ARE DEPRESSED, SEE THE SCHOOL PSYCHOLOGIST. It will do you loads of good. If he proscribes medication like Prosaic make sure you take it. You will not get the good grades unless you deal with whatever personal issues are bothering you. You must feel better about yourself before you get back to work. Its a wasted effort otherwise. Involve yourself in non-academy activities, TEAM SPORTS is excellent for regaining morale. Depression is common in college, and most schools have services to deal with it.
2. See Your Guidance counselor, ask him to help you manage your class and work load. Mine made up for me a "Study Schedule", that managed and plan out work and play, which overcame my tendency to procrastinate.

3. If things are really not going well, take some time off. A year off can put your mind back at ease. Consult with your guidance counselor before doing this.

Personal ancedot:

I arrived at College as a Freshman totally unprepared and got one of the rudest awakenings of my life as I discovered my HS had done a lousy job in preparing me. Depression, isolation, poor acedemic perforance, my first 2 years were a catastrophe.
as a D student. (Edit: For non-US, a D is just above failure but insufficent to actually graduate).

Took a year off (I took a class of Roman history at the local college) and worked for a year at a computer store, then went back to college in Indiana. Worked actively with the school therapist, with my guidance conselor, with my professors and graduated with a C+ average (which means I had to get A's and Bs' my final two years).

One thing for sure: I wouldn't have done it without outside help.

BritinAfrica

My biggest mistake was turning my hobby into my job. Bad move on my part.

One needs to be careful, that's for sure. But what you say is on a individual basis, not in every case. My hobby was computers. It pays the rent and I still love it. No regrets at all.

Last edited:
i had to drop out: i just ran out of energy and the backlog of work was just too much. =/

oh well, i'll try again next year.

I feel your pain. As I was trudging through my junior year of high school, I too lost much of my motivation for school. 4 more years of school did not sound appealing at all. Basically I felt like college would be a waste of time. When the Army recruiter called, I was more than interested to hear about the military option. My mom protested but I went in anyway. 4 years of the army allowed me to grow up a little. My motivation for education came from seeing multitudes of soldiers who were going no where with their lives. After 4 years of the Army, I was well armed to go to college and did much better than my high school grades.

If you don't have the will or drive to go to school that is fine. Make sure you get into something that will benefit you while you recharge your ambitions.

Remember 30% of college freshmen drop out of college after thier first year.

I'm saddened to hear that you are dropping out. When I graduated from high school, funds were not available for me to attend college and the job market was kind of soft (minimum wage jobs were everywhere but good paying jobs were hard to find). To make a long story shorter, I got married, joined the Army and spent over 20 years without the opportunity to attend college classes. After 6 yrs of being retired from the military, I was suddenly unemployed and needed an edge to get one of the few good paying jobs. I ended up starting to school and working full-time at age 50+.

I knew what my goal was and I didn't let anyone else influence how I approached accomplishing that goal. I got my BS in 4 years, 38 years after I finished high school. Now I am trying to scrape together enough money to finish my Masters while still working, making house payments, car payments, etc.

You are the one that can control your own destiny, not outside influences. If you have to recharge for a year, keep the brass ring in sight. Don't let it slip away and try to grab it 40 years later. It is harder to grab and not quite as shiney. Good luck on your quest.

Back