I'm DEPed in...What should I do every day to prepare myself?

RecruitWalterUSMC

Running, push ups, crunches....I nedd to prepare myself for my 12 weeks of hell to come. What should I do or how much of everything should I do a day to become ready? Keep in mind that I wish to be an outstanding marine...Thank you.

Run with a backpack on with some weights in it. Eat the basics in foods because you won't get sweets in basic. Mentally prepare yourself to stay focused and disciplined.

Marines don't fool around.

ok, well thank you for your help. How much shoud I run a day? Hours prefeabley. As I am right now, my lungs can't handle too much running. My stomach can't handle it much either. Should I eat befor I go run or not? Is there any way to better yourself in push ups? I have way too many questions.

Run, Pullups, Pushups, Swim, etc.

There are a few websites out there that have good DEP programs to get you ready for boot. IF you can get yourself to the point of at least being able to run 3 miles in 20 minutes, 15 pullups to regulation, and 75 situps in 2 minutes plus swim 500 yds nonstop, you will have little problem with boot camp.

Semper Fi.

Find a workout partner. If you can't, compete against a clock (including pushups).

Get your recruiter to teach you correct pushups. LEarn the technique. Do as many as you can in a minute. Rest or switch to crunches. Try to beat the time.

Favor doing correct pushups over quantity. At this stage, you have no one to impress with numbers. Learning the technique will save you time and hollaring.

Regarding running, build up endurance. Find a high school track. Run a quarter mile at a time. In between, don't stop. Just do a slow jog or, preferably (in my opinion, a fast march. Keep it going until you run at least two miles.

Not as important to stretch prior as it is to stretch following.

I also advise against running with any weight on your back until the Corps has strengthened your back enough.

To recap, use the clock or a workout partner to push you. Quality of workout is more important than quantity. Stretch following the workout. You can eat, but there's really no need. Your workout won't last as long as you think and the food in your stomach won't get digested in time to give any energy boost. So, exercise in the morning before you think you're hungry. Commit to the workout as if it's a part of the normal routine. Just like you shower everyday (presuming), you workout everyday.

Thank you Lil Hulk!!!! I guess I better start kickin my a$$ then huh? I'm not physically fit. Although, since I have nothing wrong with me and I don't smoke...it should be fairly easy to work myself up to where I need to be huh? If I work for the next 7 months on that do you think I'll have my outstanding marine goal completed?

7 Months!!

In 7 months, if you realy put forth some effort, you should be able to walk into boot with the ability to get the maximum score on the PFT and make life MUCH easier for you.

Alright, well, thanks everyone for your help and I believe I have all the information I need. Although, if you think of anything else that would assist me, go ahead and let me know.

Re: Run, Pullups, Pushups, Swim, etc.

Lil Hulk 1988 said:
There are a few websites out there that have good DEP programs to get you ready for boot. IF you can get yourself to the point of at least being able to run 3 miles in 20 minutes, 15 pullups to regulation, and 75 situps in 2 minutes plus swim 500 yds nonstop, you will have little problem with boot camp.

Semper Fi.

Exept for the mind games :firedevi:

Re: Run, Pullups, Pushups, Swim, etc.

[quote="silent driller
Exept for the mind games :firedevi:[/quote]

That's more a personal thing, the mind games are what you make of them, nothing more.

RecruitWalterUSMC,

I hope you don't smoke cos you're going to have a hard time at boot camp if you do. No smoking allowed.

I'd say start jogging and doing push ups every alternately evey other day, that's how they did it when I was in the service.

Also try walking everywhere as much as you can, to get yourself use to the road marches, those 15 mile road marches kill.

I saw a post that advised you to run with a backpack, try not to do that if you have to, too much of it can damage your knees. However you can walk with a backpack. I say start hiking with a full pack. But, just start by walking, you should gradually ease youreself into it. Too much too soon can cause injury and ruin your military career.

You need this:

you need to buy this book:
The Ultimate Basic Training Guidebook

It will tell you everything you need to do to stay fit for the Army

Scores

LeatherNeckRVA said:
What is the maximum PFT score? I know situps is 100, but none of the others.

100 points = 100 Crunches (Changed from Situps)
100 POints = 20 Pullups
100 points = 18:00 Run

300 points

Follow the Link I left above, it is the entire Marine Corps Order for PFT.

Semper Fi...

Well i think no matter how hard you may train before your basics, it's never enough. It's going to be tougher than you may imagine..
But during basics, it's to your limits. Or even beyond. That's what is called training.. or being trained to be a soldier. Nope, you can't train by yourself. :rambo:

Physical Fitness before Boot Camp

SAINT said:
Well i think no matter how hard you may train before your basics, it's never enough. It's going to be tougher than you may imagine..
But during basics, it's to your limits. Or even beyond. That's what is called training.. or being trained to be a soldier. Nope, you can't train by yourself. :rambo:

When you enter boot camp in with the appropriate level of physical fitness it helps with the total stress that you have to endure since it minimises one of the elements that most people are tested on when they join.

Back