Illinois Schools Canceling Christmas and Halloween to Avoid Offending Muslims

@ Pheonix

1.While this is true, the founding fathers in their wisdom decided upon religion equality. That means in a public forum either we celebrate every religion, or we celebrate none.

2. This statement could be made of any wave of immagration into the US or of many many religious and cultural groups to move into a country. Its not just the Muslims.

@Henderson

Did the article say whehter the school sanctioned Ramadan Parties? How about every obscure holiday from every religion on the planet. Schools dont even have enough school days in the year to celeberate every holiday for every religion. So if you cant have them all, then have none. Thats the way it is.
Nope. Article didn't say whether it sanctioned Ramadan parties, but I think it's safe to say that we would be hearing a lot more about this school if they had tried to stop a Ramadan party from being thrown, wouldn't you? I think it should be up to the teacher. If a teacher is willing to let a class have a small party for an important religious holiday, then more power to them. As insensitive as it is to say this, as long as the kids pass, what's it matter?

@ Pheonix

1.While this is true, the founding fathers in their wisdom decided upon religion equality. That means in a public forum either we celebrate every religion, or we celebrate none.

2. This statement could be made of any wave of immagration into the US or of many many religious and cultural groups to move into a country. Its not just the Muslims.

I don't think there is any thing wrong with immigration. It's a good thing if done legally. But I don't understand why some immigrants (i.e muslims) want to change their host societies to their own standards. Thats what bothers me a lot.

Okay if you understand Ramadan you'd know it's a time fasting and prayer not a celebration 'kay.

Christmas in schools (public) does not have religous conotations. Seperation of church and state and all that legal mumbo jumbo stuff. Been that way since I was a nubbin. Christmas parties in schools (public) are a secular celebration, ya know Santa, Rudloph, ho, ho, ho and all that.

So why should a secular celebration be done away with in order to please a religous group? I can find mention of Kris Kringle in the Bible.

This is the wrong direction. Why should Christian celebrations in a country of Christian culture offend those fortunate enough to have been given shelter. When I have spent time in other cultures I have been happy to accept their hospitality. Nobody is forced to live amongst us. Why should they wish to change our culture? The west must beware of this weakness. Intolerant cultures thrive on it.

Most of you are 100% incorrect ... the question should be "Why should this country turn it's back on the judeo-christian holidays because a bunch of 'Rag Heads' are offended?". If they have such a hatred of our holidays (or they disagree with celebrating them), then they should remove their children from school when the rest of the students celebrate the holiday. I am quite sure that the Board of Education doesn't deny Muslim parents the right to remove their children from school during Ramadan (or) for that matter, any other Muslim holiday.

The real tragedy is the political correctness that denies American children the opportunity to enjoy the holiday with their school chums.

(If the Rag Head label bothers you, SORRY ... political correctness turns me off - I'll leave it to those who are selling out America).

Islamist debates about Muslims in the West [Michael Rubin]

Uriya Shavit surveys the Islamist debate about when it is permissible for Muslims to live in Western, secular societies. Academics and commentators in the West so often focus on Western intellectuals' debates, that we don't appreciate how our own notions of multiculturalism may be diametrically opposed to how others grapple with the topic of living in a diverse society.

Here.

Well,... if they stay away from our holidays, that's great. At least then we can be assured that there'll be no suicide bombers.

Chief Bones illustrates my ultimate point. It's them complaining, so let them deal with it. Why should we change for them when we've been having these celebrations here first...It doesn't even have to be "leave and never come back to America" just take them out of school for a day...It won't hurt anything. I promise.

Just me but I seem to remember a couple of years ago some residents in Dearborn Michigan asking the local mosques to turn down the volume on the calls to prayer.

That turned into an "Anti-Islamic" conspiracy of the nth degree and all the "spokesmen" ranted and raved for days, weeks and months. About how everyone else should be required to be "senstive" to Muslims.

How bout a status qou here Ali?

And it ticks me off...It's the same with illegal immigrants. They expect to be completely welcomed into the United States, expect to not have to learn English, expect to not have to pay taxes...And then expect everyone to like them. Yall gotta meet us half way.

The president shoudn't send "Holiday Cards", he should send Holiday-specific cards.

For example, Hanukkah cards to the Jewish, Kwanzaa cards to those who celebrate Kwanzaa, and Christmas cards to Christians. And Ramadan cards at Ramadan.

The appeasement attitude never ceases to amaze. If folk are offended by Christmas celebrations, why live in a Christian country? And if you do not approve of the culture of your country, what are you doing taking up residence there? Motive??

We give an inch, they take a mile...They really do take the whole "free country" metaphor to heart. They believe that because America is free, they can come here and do whatever they want.

I'm very tired of hearing things like this.

I'm offended by the fact that America forgetting about the rest of us while trying so hard not to offend different Peoples.

We give an inch, they take a mile...They really do take the whole "free country" metaphor to heart. They believe that because America is free, they can come here and do whatever they want.

No - in this case this is not the free ride. This is creeping culture change policy being applied. As the numbers grow the demands grow.

Back