If Vice President Cheney left office, who would succeed him?

Padre

Milforum Chaplain
Vice President Cheney seems to have a few health problems and quite a few hospitalisations. If anything were to happen to him who would you like to see President Bush pick as a new Vice President. I have a hunch he would nominate Condi Rice

VP Cheney isn't going anywhere until the nuclear battery the South Koreans powered him with expires. :shock:

However, should that happen, it would either be Ms. Rice or whoever the republican party felt had the best chance as the next president.

OK, actually thinking through this scenario, would you be terribly surprised to see Sen. Brownback elevated to v.p. It seems like he is quickly becoming the Republican shining boy, speaking at forums across the country. What do you all who follow US politics think about this choice?

Actually, IMO, he'd make a perfect charismatic puppet for the republican party. Neither liking nor trusting the ptb in the republican party, I can't share your enthusiasm.

Here's the twenty-fifth ammendment, section 2 covering that.

Section 2

[Vacancy in office of vice president.]

Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.

NOTE: An official cannot succeed to the Presidency unless that person meets the Constitutional requirements.
1. The president pro tempore presides over the Senate when the vice president is absent. By tradition the position is held by the senior member of the majority party.
2. Carlos Gutierrez was born in Cuba and is ineligible.
3. Elaine Chao was born in Taiwan and is ineligible.
4. In late July 2005, the Senate passed a bill moving the Homeland Security secretary to number 8 on the list. The bill is awaiting House approval.

If the President dies or becomes incompacitated, there is a set succession. If that happens to the VP, the President nominates the successor.

It depends on which direction the Republican Party and President Bush would want to go with.

Condi Rice would be pushed if they want someone who has been a very important member of the Bush Administration all along. The question is, would an inside member of the Bush Administration become a solid canditate for President? If yes, go Condi. If not, someone else like Sen. Brownback may be a wiser choice.

I don't know how likely it is, but I still say I'd love to see Rice run for president! Imagine a Republican canditate that is 1.) Black (you'd think the Democrats woulda beat them to THAT by several decades at least) and 2.) Female (creating an almost guaranteed Woman vs Woman presidential race.) Oh how I love irony!!

If The Vice President Cheney stepped down or was killled/died President Bush can select a new Vice President.

If the President and Vice President were both killed at/around the same time the Speaker of the house is elevated to the office of President.

Back