If there's no ENGLISH CHANNEL

View Poll Results :Without the English Channel, UK could be defeated by Nazi Germany
NOT SURE 2 15.38%
NO 1 7.69%
YES 10 76.92%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

--

December 7th, 2004  
SAINT

Topic: If there's no ENGLISH CHANNEL

I wonder if the United Kingdom was not separated from Europe by the English Channel, could Nazi Germany have defeated UK as easily and quickly as France was defeated?

What do you think?
December 7th, 2004  
A Can of Man

The English are a different type of European. I don't think they would have been completely beaten. I think they could have held out. It would, of course make the job MUCH more difficult.
December 7th, 2004  
beardo

we definatley wouldnt have surrendered if thats what you mean...

as churchy himself said ''we will fight them on the (well theres no beaches if theres no channel), we will fight them in the fields/roads/towns etc''

and, not having a channel wouldnt have affected the battle of britain so they would still have no air cover, so they couldnt use the effective ''Blitzkreig'', and would have had to have gone slower, giving us more time to get re-inforcements...

also we had the ''British Constabulary force'' or something like that i forgot the name, who were detachements of 5-10 men from every town in UK with shit loads of bombs and stff to take out as many enemy until they got killed
--
December 7th, 2004  
dougal

When yoou think about Dunkirk (prob spelt wromg sorry.) they would have been chased back into a main land britian in europe.
December 7th, 2004  
redcoat

We would've had our butts kicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
The English are a different type of European.
We like to think so, and its very nice of you to say so, but in truth we are not.
If there was no English Channel, Britain would have been defeated in a matter of days after the fall of France.
December 7th, 2004  
A Can of Man

I think you would have put up a much better fight. After all when it comes to World War II, it was actually hard to do worse than the French.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_13th_redneck
The English are a different type of European.
We like to think so, and its very nice of you to say so, but in truth we are not.
If there was no English Channel, Britain would have been defeated in a matter of days after the fall of France.
December 7th, 2004  
Romero

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoat
We would've had our butts kicked
I agree with redcoat.

If there was no channel Britain would not have been as powerful as it was. We would have been invaded countless times throughout history.
December 7th, 2004  
Claymore

Quote:
I think you would have put up a much better fight. After all when it comes to World War II, it was actually hard to do worse than the French.
What would they have put up the fight with?? Remember, the BEF was in a full retreat to Dunkirk, most of their equipment was left on the beach there, and their economy was not yet on a full war footing. I have no doubt that the British would have fought tooth and nail, but they still would have been no match for the German armor. For an excellent account of the condition of the British war preparation read Churchill's series on WWII, particularly "The Gathering Storm". The English Channel is the reason that there has only been one truly successful invasion of the island nation from Europe.
December 7th, 2004  
Shadowalker

We would of fought harder, and would not of collaborated with the germans, but the germans may of treated us better as hitler at one point asked us to join them, as we were the closests in the world to aryans after the germans, in hitlers opinion.
December 7th, 2004  
Earling

For the context of the question.. yes Britain would have been quickly defeated. Depending on a large fleet to defend a nonexistant channel showed a questionable lack of intelligence.

However its a rather short sighted question..since without the channel British History and argueably World History would have been completely different.