If Taiwan uses force to separate....

--
Boots

December 9th, 2004  
Trevor

Topic: If Taiwan uses force to separate....

If Taiwan uses military action to separate from China, what other contries do you think would be involved, and what do you think the outcome would be?
December 9th, 2004  
03USMC

I don't see any country backing Taiwans play. Too much of an unknown.
December 9th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Lets face it. While I disagree with the PRC's claim that Taiwan and its citizens have no right to Independence -- the fact remains that what you are suggesting benefits absolutely no-one. PRC is ready and waiting to prove to the world that they own Taiwan. They would do just about anything imaginable to stop them. That just gets really ugly really fast.

Best case scenario, Mainland China works on the following goal: Improve conditions and circumstances sufficiently that the people of Taiwan are no worse off reuniting and (if possible) better off. Taiwan needs to curb the TI movement -- not because its wrong but because it could lead to so much death and destruction.
--
Boots
December 9th, 2004  
HEHEHAHA

Topic: Re: If Taiwan uses force to separate....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
If Taiwan uses military action to separate from China, what other contries do you think would be involved, and what do you think the outcome would be?
Australia already implies that he will not be involved with the war, since the Chinese Government gave a lot of deals with Australia, we are talking about more than 20 billion, natural gas, O-game in 2008 construction deals.
December 9th, 2004  
HEHEHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03USMC
I don't see any country backing Taiwans play. Too much of an unknown.
no strong power backs Taiwan except US..and some Latin countries, I am not sure, there are 27 countries in the world that recognise Taiwan as legal government/country as far as I remember .
December 9th, 2004  
Trevor

HEHEHAHA, use the edit button at the top of your post if you have something else to add. Don't double post.
December 9th, 2004  
Romero

Hmm, interesting. The US said they would only help Taiwan if they were attacked by China, but not if if Taiwan declares independence and then a conflict starts. I don't see any of the big Asian countries getting involved (at least on the side of Taiwan), nor any European countries.

If Taiwan is attacked without provocation though, I think it would be a different story.
December 10th, 2004  
FlyingFrog

Well said Romero.
December 10th, 2004  
Darcia

Taiwan is lucky because being an island they have a sense of protection, however it also meens they can be blockaded.

However mainland doesn't have a good enough navy to do something like blocakded tawain.
Mainland does have bombers though, and lots of um and a large airfroce. The bad thing is the fact most of the bombers and aircraft date from the 60,70,80's and Tawian has an advanced air defense system.

If China does start a war and goes it without anything from Tawian being said to start it Tawian stands a good chance of getting aid from the other major powers of the world. However if they start it then people would most likly stay out of it.
December 10th, 2004  
Trevor

I don't see many western contries, britain, japan or south korea supporting china either.