If Taiwan uses force to separate.... - Page 2

--
Boots

December 10th, 2004  
Darcia

France may do it, Britian may do it, South Korea wouldn't do it due to NK being at the door step. America has the problem of chosing between creating a new Free Democracy are cutting of trade with it's number 1 trading partner.
December 10th, 2004  
flyingsnow

The reunification between China mainland and Taiwan is a historical trend , no person can stop it , it is only a matter of time at present . If China will use forces to address the problem in the future depend on the her military construction and the international situation in the following years especially the relations between China and US . As the China economy become stronger and stronger in the world stage , US has more and more interests on China Which is believed to be the biggest and most lucrative market in the world . On the other side , US need more backing from China in wide range world issues , such as anti-terror issue , North Korean issue etc. ,so the possibility of US direct involvement in the possible China mainland -Taiwan become slimer and slimer . The conflict between China mainland and Taiwan is the situation that both people do not want to see ,but both sides will benefit from the reunification in the long run , the Asian-Pacific region will become more peace .
December 10th, 2004  
Romero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcia
Britian may do it
I doubt it. Not unless America does, and is part of a coalition. I don't think the British people would really want our armed forces to be sent over there. Anyway, the UK and Taiwan don't have formal relations I believe.

We couldn't do much with our vast armed forces against the Chinese.
--
Boots
December 10th, 2004  
flyingsnow

I totally agree with you !
December 10th, 2004  
EagleZtrike

I think the U.S. could help Taiwan because they are more of a democracy.

But that would be a big mistake. Many countries would also go to China's aid and may criticize the United States heavily on siding with Taiwan.
December 10th, 2004  
Romero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcia
Taiwan is lucky because being an island they have a sense of protection
I don't think they feel that protected with over 300 Chinese missiles pointed at them across the Straits, and the Chinese armed forces having miliary exercises - in particular beach landings - often.

Interesting points there flyingsnow, however, most Taiwanese don't want to become a Chinese province, and that must be protected.

Perhaps if the Chinese government was more 'friendly' with Taiwan, then more Taiwanese would be open the idea of reunification, or closer relations. I suppose it would help reunification somewhat if China became a democracy...
December 10th, 2004  
antimili

i think without missile pointing at them, they would be more provocative. the problem is not with china's side. it's because of the chen sui bian who take advantage of his position to show it's younger generation the false image of china mainland through the media and changing its text book. if any of you know what the news of taiwan was like.
December 10th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

Its the up and coming generation that is more likely to push for Taiwanese Independence. Taiwan has essentially functioned as a separate nation from China for their whole lives and they have no memory of truly being part of China.
December 10th, 2004  
antimili

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
Its the up and coming generation that is more likely to push for Taiwanese Independence. Taiwan has essentially functioned as a separate nation from China for their whole lives and they have no memory of truly being part of China.
it's not up to them. taiwan enjoy no right as a sovereign country said the white house, unity are very important value of china unlike usa. any one who is trying to separate taiwan from china, are the enemy of every chinese people. especially the younger generation is just get swept up by just handful separatist radical. if the white house is really trying to prevent the war, they should replace those radicals with some peacefull life savior.
December 10th, 2004  
godofthunder9010

antimili if you will reread my post, you will notice that I never made any of the claims you are apparently disputing (not in the post you quoted). My point was pretty straightforward -- the rising generation in Taiwan wasn't alive yet when China and Taiwan were truly united. They don't remember it, and that tends to greatly lessen their feelings of patriotism as Chinese.

That is a broad generalization, but I feel its a fair statement.