If you skip work to protest and get fired, you should...

"If you skip work to protest and get fired, you should..."

• find a new job because you were irresponsible.

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Get your job back if it was for a "nobel cause."

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Duty Honor Country

Well, there be a lot of protests during the work week here in the US over immigration. Now some of the protestors are getting fired for skipping work. I amused my self at listening to some chick say that some meat packers should get thier job back becuase the protest was for a "nobel cause."

So my question is "If you skip work to protest and get fired, you should..."

... go find a new job because you violated company policy by skipping work. If you used a personal, sick, whatever day then ok, I don't think you should get fired. But a straight no call no show is a no no.

Business Owner. "You're fired dumb ass."

Idiot that lost job. "But I went and protested for illegal immigrants."

Business owner. "To bad, you skipped work. Find a new job."

I support business owners that fire idiots for skipping work.

Hold on here guys, so you are saying that people that use their right to protest.... which is probably allowed by the Constitution somewhere, should be fired! What kind of attitude is that? They protest against something we are for, so lets fire them! Bollocks to the constitution, bollocks to civil rights, they are not allowed to express their opinions this way!
I'd say, if an employer fires you for a legitimate protest sue him till he looks pink and purple for infringing on your civil rights! This is not the middle ages anymore! (Of course this only goes for people with an American citizenship.)

Not fired for protesting. Fired for not coming in to work and not calling. No show, no call and you lose your job regardless of reason.

Oh.... how are they going to fill in all the new vacancies? Employ illegals? But that is beside the point of this thread of course :)

Ted said:
Oh.... how are they going to fill in all the new vacancies? Employ illegals? But that is beside the point of this thread of course :)
Ted, don't be such a jerk.

The thread premise is that you DO NOT show up for work when you are scheduled and instead you go to a protest. Your boss finds out about it and fires you.

The thread question is "If you skip work to protest and get fired, you should..."

You are supposed to fill in the rest of the sentence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My answer would be to go find another job stupid ... what did you expect when you intentionally blew off your job. (The reason has nothing to do with whether your boss is for or against illegal aliens) The reason (protest), has nothing to do with an emergency which would be a valid reason for missing work. If you had used a 'sick' day or a vacation day then you could have done anything you felt like doing ... but ... instead you broke a 'contract' you made with your company where you agreed to show up for work on those days where you were scheduled.

Say ... maybe you can get a job in Mexico ... maybe you can work for the Mexican Immigration Department .... but ... remember, they have two laws governing immigration. One for natural born citizens and another for 'naturalized' citizens. Guess which one gets the shaft. Be careful, it may affect you personally.

If it is that clear cut Chief, I would complain to the union for being fired on un-constitutional grounds! He can fire me for thousands of reasons, but not for protesting. And luckily, in Holland, I'll probably have my job back, if I'd still want it...

Ted said:
Hold on here guys, so you are saying that people that use their right to protest.... which is probably allowed by the Constitution somewhere, should be fired! What kind of attitude is that? They protest against something we are for, so lets fire them! Bollocks to the constitution, bollocks to civil rights, they are not allowed to express their opinions this way!
I'd say, if an employer fires you for a legitimate protest sue him till he looks pink and purple for infringing on your civil rights! This is not the middle ages anymore! (Of course this only goes for people with an American citizenship.)

No where in the Constitution does it say you have a right to miss work and not be fired if you choose to protest. That's up to the employer.

If you miss work because you want to protest, that's YOUR choice. If your employer decides to fire you because you missed work, that's HIS choice and guess what? His right. You are required to attend work, not attending causes a mess up in scheduling, can leave employers short and can cause them to lose money. Even one day.

He's not violating any of your civil rights. There's a little something called personal responsibility, many have forgotten what it is or what it means, but it still exists.

I would assume most people have sick days, vacation days, etc they could take, so I don't see where it would be a problem for most. But if you just decide not to show up to protest, if your job gets taken away, oh well, that's a choice you made and you need to man-up and take the responsibility for it. If your convictions were so hardlined they caused you to miss work, they should still be hardlined if you get fired.

Btw, there's no such thing as a "legitimate" protest. It is subjective. Your employer may not wish to allow politics in the work place and if that's the case, he doesn't have to support your right to protest by keeping your job if you aren't meeting the requirements for attendance.

He can fire me for thousands of reasons, but not for protesting.

So, like I said. You aren't getting fired for protesting, you're getting fired for missing work. Now, if you protested on a Sunday and that was your day off and your employer fired you, that's a different story.

The more I read the more I think the US is a very very strange country! Luckily, I don't live there, I reckon I wouldn't hold my jobs for very long!

Ted said:
The more I read the more I think the US is a very very strange country! Luckily, I don't live there, I reckon I wouldn't hold my jobs for very long!

Not if you were unwilling to come to work, no. I can't see how anyone could logically argue you should keep a job if you don't come to work, either.

I have heard a couple Chinese employees try to explain it... I couldn't keep myself from laughing.

I say go find a new job because the last job you had sucked and it seems that you like protesting so that is your neew stupid job.

What's wrong with demonstrating on the weekend? I'd give them that option unless they were scheduled to work, then same rule, my way or the highway. You have to be able to trust your employees to be at work on time and as scheduled.

If I am a boss. Too bad, you skip out to protest, you're fired, go yourself find a job.

Ted said:
If it is that clear cut Chief, I would complain to the union for being fired on un-constitutional grounds! He can fire me for thousands of reasons, but not for protesting. And luckily, in Holland, I'll probably have my job back, if I'd still want it...

Not all jobs in the USA are union jobs.

And a union cannot protect your job because you missed work.

A Union is there to protect you health ans safety, to protect your wages and to protect you rights.

Skiping work doesn't count.

Ted said:
This was what I was trying to say Ted ... you finally addressed the question.

As was pointed out, the person would be fired for missing a scheduled work period and endangering the companies production quota and possibly endangering others (depending on the job description and what your work responsibilities are) ... not for attending a protest, that WOULD be against the law and un-constitutional. It would definitely be against the law if the time the person spent at the protest was on of their day off and could really land the company in hot water with the courts.

And as was also pointed out, the unions would have no standing for opposing a "firing for cause". (That's the legalese that would be used in a union contract to describe the act of firing someone because he/she violated the implicit agreement between the individual and the company to the detriment of the company).

So ... as can be seen, it IS clear cut ... as described in the thread situation, legally you CAN be fired IF you chose to go to a protest instead of report to work when you were scheduled. A contract is a contract and it makes no difference whether you believe your time is better spent protesting than working. It is NOT a question of constitutionality in this case.

If you went out to protest instead of reporting to work, and you didn't call in sick or take a vacation day or any other legal day off, then TS, find yourself another job!

Back