find a new job because you were irresponsible. 21 87.50%
Get your job back if it was for a "nobel cause." 3 12.50%
other 0 0%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

--
Boots

April 13th, 2006  
sven hassell

What about taking holiday time to protest? That way you are paying for your views NOT the employer.
April 13th, 2006  
Italian Guy

Exactly.
April 13th, 2006  
Marinerhodes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven hassell
What about taking holiday time to protest? That way you are paying for your views NOT the employer.
That is what we are saying. . .
--
Boots
April 14th, 2006  
C/2nd Lt Robot

Have y'all heard about the nation wide protest on May 2nd I think? I've heard rumors but nothing solid. I hope a lot of them loss their jobs, they need to sit down and readjust their priorities. If the scuttle butt proves to be true that is and it actually happens.
April 14th, 2006  
Ted

Hold on here guys. Where did the "not call in" bit suddenly come from? Even in Holland this will have consequences. If I don't show up and don't call I'll probably receive a written statement that I'll lose my job the next time I do that. You need two of these statements at the least to have me fired. If a company wants to fire you and you have a indefinate contract, they need to do that via a judge. You can't just fire somebody for no good reason. But if you have two of these statements in your personal file, things do get a lot easier.
Therefor I would always call in a say that I won't work because I am going to use my right to protest. Employers could still give me such a written statement but it would carry much much less weight then one for being unannounced awol.
April 14th, 2006  
ASTRALdragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
Hold on here guys. Where did the "not call in" bit suddenly come from? Even in Holland this will have consequences. If I don't show up and don't call I'll probably receive a written statement that I'll lose my job the next time I do that. You need two of these statements at the least to have me fired. If a company wants to fire you and you have a indefinate contract, they need to do that via a judge. You can't just fire somebody for no good reason. But if you have two of these statements in your personal file, things do get a lot easier.
Therefor I would always call in a say that I won't work because I am going to use my right to protest. Employers could still give me such a written statement but it would carry much much less weight then one for being unannounced awol.
Well, the calling in thing was the key concept in whether or not an employee shold be fired or not; not if he/she went to go protest. If you request a day off to go protest, your employer is not obliged under the Constitution of the US to let you because you can do it in your own time. If you don't request a day off and join the local protest on your way to work, then you can get fired even if you use the good ol' "It's my Constitutional right" excuse. I guess the key thing is to come up with a good excuse (i.e. one of the special day(s) I mentioned in my previous posts) and pray your boss doesn't find out the truth [Hey I need a day off because I'm sick.... *and you get caught at the local baseball game....*].
April 14th, 2006  
Italian Guy

"ahem...*cough cough*... boss, yes uhm I was *cough *cough protesting against the cheerleaders' skirt length...uhm, see you tomorrow at work?"
April 14th, 2006  
Ted

Luckily I used to word "legit" in relation to the protest. The legitimacy has to be reviewed by a judge. If he/she says it is okay to protest against the certain cause, the employers will have a hard time firing you.
Of course you could use a free day, but why should you. You get paid 80 or 100% and you keep your free day. Why do you boss a favour when you don't have to. I know I wouldn't do mine the favour. But if it is a small company and a nice boss, well I might consider it.
April 14th, 2006  
Rob Henderson

I think it kind of depends on what is being protested...If it is affecting you personally, like terrible work conditions or looong hours.(12...not 9-5) But if you are working in a business and nothing is affecting you at all and you still go out to protest and miss work, fired. If it is something in your place of work, like the examples above, then you should keep your job and hopefully reach some sort of compromise on what you were protesting.
C/2Lt Robot, whats going to be protested?
April 14th, 2006  
C/2nd Lt Robot

From what I heard it's to protest the employees being fired. And, if it's true, the protesters won't go to work, won't shop, things like that. If it's true, it won't do much damage, while they're whinning and crying millions of other Americans will be working and shopping. If they don't like it here I've heard Canada is a nice place to live.