If you are in the military or have been how do you feel about Don't Ask Don't Tell?

Maybe it's different in POG units/support units?? Every Infantryman, Artilleryman, Ground pounder I know that took the survey, including myself, support DADT. If you like *****, continue to have it in and around your mouth at all times, for all I care.

Just STFU about it and keep it to yourself. I really dislike flamboyantly gay people. I am a constitutionalist... HOWEVER, as military members our rights are modified and different from those of our civilian counterparts. I don't want Ru Paul next to me in a foxhole. If they repeal DADT, then they can make segregated accomodations for the flambo's.

Oh, it is without a doubt that Combat Arms and REMF units will have a disparity of agreement on this. There is no way to explain to non-line units what living conditions are like in a line unit in the field, nor the mindset of line units and how peer approval is THE deciding factor on unit cohesion.

Even garrison is widely different between MOS's, with the Infantry/CA units constantly using that time to purge themselves of unwanted members. REMF units are generally more tolerant.

After having served with both Combat Arms and REMF units. There was certainly more esprit de corps and taking care of each other in the CA units and in the REMF units it was more along the lines of everyone for themselves. There is also the fact that REMF soldiers have to be careful of the PC crowd.

The removal of Don't ask Don't Tell is pretty much DOA. If the repel is not passed before Congress recesses, it will probably become a back burner issue with the next divided Congress. It will bring to the forefront the current Federal court actions. Might mean DADT will become a court decision and not legislated.
Can't remove Don't Ask, Don't Tell until federal law changes.

"'Don't ask, don't tell' repeal rejected in the Senate"

By Kathleen Hennessey and Lisa Mascaro, Tribune Washington Bureau
December 9,2010
"Reporting from Washington —
Legislation to repeal the ban on openly gay personnel in the military was blocked in the Senate on Thursday, dealing a blow to a top White House priority and underscoring the emerging boldness of congressional Republicans."

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-gays-military-20101210,0,3637959.story

I personally believe that those who are the most in opposition to gays in the military, suffer from homophobia.

Historically, homosexuals have served in every army since the dawn of time .. and .. it is ONLY a recent advent, that there has been an iron ban to their serving their country.

A gay who quietly goes about carrying out his/her duty, deserves as much respect and forbearance as their heterosexual counterpart.
I absolutely love this type of comment where you say "Homophobia" like it is some sort of "put down".

Bearing in mind what it represents, I would say that it is more a sign of normality, and the fact that people are willing to state their points of view in spite of this PC crap shows some degree of strength of character and willingness to stand for the truth, not willing to just "go with the flow" because they are too apathetic to stand up for what they believe.

Yes, I have known Homos in the Services, and for the most part they were not unduly harassed, but they were never accepted as equals or considered as part of any group whether it be, friend, unit, branch, or Ship's Company.

Yes, I have known Homos in the Services, and for the most part they were not unduly harassed, but they were never accepted as equals or considered as part of any group whether it be, friend, unit, branch, or Ship's Company.

True story. Maybe it's different for you chief, not being in a CA unit you must have a different perspective.

Flambo's, like Females, have no business in combat arms.

True story. Maybe it's different for you chief, not being in a CA unit you must have a different perspective.

Flambo's, like Females, have no business in combat arms.
I can only say it as i saw it, and I agree with you 110%. Although I do not agree with you that people in Combat arms are any different or have a different view of things to those in any other group, civilian or service, that is merely a little bit of self agrandisement.

As I have pointed out in various threads regarding this subject, service personel have enough to put up with, combat arms or not, without deliberately sabotaging morale by forcing people to accept these societal misfits as part of their units.

All manner of PC Bulsh has been introduced to try and make them more acceptable, but it will never change the facts.

Last edited:
Yup. Everyone that disagrees with you is a coward.

lrn2logic

Nooooo .....

They are NOT cowards because they don't agree with me ... they were cowards for not going along with the majority of military personnel (upper grades included), and instead, caved in to the the military minority and to the portion of the civilian community that contains the most homophobic elements.

For that I call them cowards ... cowards for NOT doing what most of them know would be the right thing to do. Gays in the military are denied their constitutional rights (namely .. life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness).

Unbelievable that you can continue to denigrate your own citizens in this way. What problems are you are afraid of in relation to letting homosexuals wear uniforms?

It smells a bit of homophobia.

Sorry. Not a big fan of that word.
I don't think we should have a made-up phrase in the English language to shove a "lifestyle" down our collective throats. Usually when this phrase is used, it's accompanied with some form of bizarre logic such as "ah ha! you put down gays so you must be a latent one yourself!"

Fortunately, it's our problem. :wink:

Gays in the military are denied their constitutional rights (namely .. life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness).
Well, what about non homos, are we to give up our rights (namely .. life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness) to ensure that homos have theirs? Naaaahhhh,....

Sorry Chief,... that is a typical piece of PC logic. That the majority must give in to a minority or be labeled as "Homophobes or Racists or whatever" It all seems to come back to this PC warm and fuzzy feeling we are supposed to get from accepting the unacceptable as "normal".

Getting rid of DADT would do more harm than good for gays. It would give them a false sense of security.

Well first things first...

They started accepting women in the army when they needed cheap labor or when the men were a scarce resource.

Same with gay people. They started to accept them because they needed everybody they could lay hands on... And this is why they made these silly rules to hide the awful truth, the awful truth is that homosexuals arent liked...

It's not a problem about the uniforum, you dont have to prove that you are an honorable man to get an uniform... Many men had to chose between prison and the uniform. They really dont care about the uniform much... That's not the issue.

The problem is that the society isnt ready to welcome homosexuals.

Lack of education, lack of discipline, lack of social skills etc etc... It's a very complex problem.

hi everybody,
im surving the dutch army and in my country it's totally normall to have gay soldiers. the netherlands is way further than u guys we accept the fact people can be gay and that it's not a big deal. in our country its even normall to get married when ur gay. and please whay not???? these guys don't harm anybody by loving someone from the same gender do they??? maby you feal a bit unpleasant by knowing but what's the big deal? america is allways the first one in everything but please don't start about gay people. being gay is a deseas!!!!!!!! how come america takes a lot of countrys and people into crap situations and they dont even accept there own??

hi everybody,
im surving the dutch army and in my country it's totally normall to have gay soldiers. the netherlands is way further than u guys we accept the fact people can be gay and that it's not a big deal. in our country its even normall to get married when ur gay. and please whay not???? these guys don't harm anybody by loving someone from the same gender do they??? maby you feal a bit unpleasant by knowing but what's the big deal? america is allways the first one in everything but please don't start about gay people. being gay is a deseas!!!!!!!! how come america takes a lot of countrys and people into crap situations and they dont even accept there own??
With all due respect, we see that the Netherlands has tried many social experiments in the past with such things as the use of soft drugs, acceptance of refugees, homosexuals etc, and now they are regretting their decisions. My neighbour is Dutch (a Kleingeld from Charleroi) and has regular visitors from Rotterdam, they all think that most of these reforms need to be changed or repealed.

And also, the word "Gay" is a misnomer adopted by homosexuals because of the fact that the very word, homosexual had bad connotations. This is virtually an admission bu them, that homosexuals are not acceptable by the mainstream population.

Last edited:
hi everybody,

Hi,

is this officially or do you have other norms in reality? It can be a difference between what is said by ie a gov, and what happens in the real life out in the units. The armed forces are quite traditional and been that for many, many years. Sweden seems to accept gay people in the service, officially, out it works out for them in the field, I do not know.

my personally opinion about the gay people. They do not bother me, so I do not bother them. Frankly, I do not care.

take care

Ghostrider

Don't Ask Don't Tell repealed Today 18 December 2010. Change may take up to a year for the military to implement.

Back