If you could make a movie about any battle or theatre etc - Page 2

--

August 8th, 2005  
Doppleganger

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010
I would absolutely love to see an entire series devoted to accurately telling the tale of the Eastern Front of World War II. FAR too much happened on that front to hope to fit into a single film. That was the front where Europe was won or lost. Had the USSR been defeated, Nazi Germany may very well have had enough manpower and resources to knock down the rest of the world, bit by bit. Germany vs the USSR, is massively undervalued by most of the world. Many are barely aware of the importance of that front. If the USSR were defeated in 1941/1942, no D-day would have ever been possible and it is unlikely that Continental Europe could have been liberated from German control ... well for a very very long time indeed. Preferably, a non-biased telling from both sides would be great <- That is unlikely since the public always prefers to have a good guy and a bad guy, with the good guy winning out in the end. It's difficult to qualify either head of state (Hitler and Stalin) as being a "good guy" exactly. Truth be told, the lesser of two evils won that conflict.
Hear hear. The greatest conflict in the history of humankind and most people barely know anything about it.

If I had to choose a single battle it would be 'Operation Typhoon', the German final thrust for Moscow. I find it remarkable that in the 12 weeks since Barbarossa had begun, the Red Army suffered more casualties than any other army in all of human history and yet still came back to win in the end. Incredible story of the courage and tenacity of a nation against a battering that IMO would have finished off any other country. A story that deserves to be fully told. If the Russians had been Americans John Wayne, Harrison Ford and Tom Cruise all would have starred in movies about the Eastern Front I'm sure.
August 8th, 2005  
KC72

Quote:
There ya go. Orde Wingate and the Chindits would definitely be cool.
Did you know that Wingate is buried in Arlington?
August 9th, 2005  
Charge 7

Yes, I did. In fact, I've visited his grave site. Do you know why he's buried there? Because he died onboard a US airplane and his body was recovered by US graves and registration.

He was a bit of a loony, and certainly a maverick, but he was one of the foremost military minds of his era. It is fitting he's buried in Arlington afterall for he is a grandfather of US Special Forces. Many of the ideas that SF use now came directly from him.
--
August 11th, 2005  
Warwick

I would like to see some more Korean war ones.
One about the Gloucesters and their famous battle, one about the fighting on the HOOK and an Aussie one about the Battle of Kapyong.
For WWII: Dieppe, a lot more about the Eastern front, Crete is a great idea as long as it shows the perspective from all nations involved.
Maybe a Monte Cassino one as well.
More modern ones would be Arab Israeli themed ones, the French in Indo china and some Malaya/ Borneo ones from the SAS perspective.
Hows that????
August 11th, 2005  
Claymore

I can't make up my mind, so I have several...

Culloden - as long as it was accurate and not the romanticized nonsense that was Braveheart (which I liked as a movie - just not accurate history...). As a battle it wasn't that much but it did forever change the way of life in Scotland. Not to mention that fact that I had ancestors that died there (MacKinnon).

Antietam - Just don't give it the Pro-Longstreet bias that Shaara showed in Gettysburg (it was based on Shaara's book "The Killer Angels").

Waterloo would be good too
August 11th, 2005  
Charge 7

If you haven't seen in, Chasing The Deer (1994) has a great battle scene of Culloden.

http://www.rambles.net/chasing_deer94.html

Antietam wouldn't be my choice of Civil War battles for a movie (I'd pick The Wilderness first) but it would still make a good movie.

Yeah, Waterloo could stand a decent version. The 1970 version with Christopher Plummer was a snore.
August 11th, 2005  
KC72

Quote:
Waterloo would be good too
Waterloo would be fantastic, imagine all the special effects that Hollywood could throw at it, huge army`s , Cavary charge`s, Cannons blasting and earbursting sound effects!

And trafalger would be great as well.
August 14th, 2005  
ill be damed if i know

proberly operation market garden even though it was largley a failure great courage was shown time and time again paras fought couragously agains tanks and artillery with against crack german troops.
August 14th, 2005  
03USMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ill be damed if i know
proberly operation market garden even though it was largley a failure great courage was shown time and time again paras fought couragously agains tanks and artillery with against crack german troops.

Try......"A bridge too far."
August 14th, 2005  
Charge 7

A Bridge Too Far was a damned good movie. They got the gist of it alright. Robert Redford, Michael Caine, Ryan O'Neil, Gene Hackman, Elliott Gould, Anthony Hopkins, and James Caan were certainly great in it, but Sean Connery as Maj. Gen Urquhart was the best casting though Redford was a close second.

(Ryan O'Neil as General Gavin & Robert Redford as Major Cook)

Brigadier General Gavin: What's the best way to take a bridge?
Maj. Julian Cook: Both ends at once.
Brigadier General Gavin: I'm sending two companies across the river by boat. I need a man with very special qualities to lead.
Maj. Julian Cook: Go on, sir.
Brigadier General Gavin: He's got to be tough enough to do it and he's got to be experienced enough to do it. Plus one more thing. He's got to be dumb enough to do it... Start getting ready.
Junior Officer: what was all that about, Major?
Maj. Julian Cook: Well someone's come up with a real nightmare. Real nightmare.