IE7

Kiwi

Forum Lubrication Engineer
My IE7 all of a sudden up and died :bang:

I loaded Firefox thank god before that happened.

Any idea what might of caused it?

Its a new computer norton av and its vista.

When you say "die" what do you mean? But Redleg is right, FireFox is a MUCH better browser and its free, so there is really no reason not to use it.

I have IE7 too....so far...so good. havent had too many problems yet...Also have Vista....not too thrilled about vista....tryin to get used to it but id much rather XP....

Vista Flu, there's a lot of it going around at the moment.

Here,..... take two asprin and call me in XP Pro.

Spike MD. FRCCS. (Fellow of the Royal College of Computer Stupidity)

haha...wish it was that easy....thinkin of getting my friends dad to take vista off my comp and put xp on it....havent decided yet though....

When you say "die" what do you mean? But Redleg is right, FireFox is a MUCH better browser and its free, so there is really no reason not to use it.

It just said IE has failed, and shuts down. The screen goes white and shuts down.

I am really upset because I had over 300 sites in my links area they are gone, I use firefox now, it aint the best I don't really like it, keeps making you add on, and most of the sites don't seem to appear on firefox, which really P's me off.

its just alot of work for nothing, and I set firfox as my default and still some areas of the computer are off limits because the are set for IE7 that don't work at all.

CrazyLilCajun @ vista i find it very use to use now, remember the old Dos systems, treat it like that you will be fine. You have to alot more in vista than XP.

Spike I can't change the Operating System because I am on a government net work that requires all computers on the same OS.

TI I try to reinstall it.

Redleg just what am I going to do with you? :roll:

Ummm,.... You're not doing this at work ,..... are you?????

Well I work a lot from home due to the community based clients from VA's, so yessss kinda :angel:

We are all linked tho on a large network, and they really get jumpy if you don't have what they say.

Because we access restricted areas on the net they need to see what we do.

I spoke to the IT guys at work they are going I Don't know.

I am none the wiser really but they say I have not a virus worm or other bug.

They know I am here and montior my posts too, lol.

:cheers:

Have you checked for Malware, Spyware etc. I have heard of IE7 doing similar things in the presence of these things.

Have you checked for Malware, Spyware etc. I have heard of IE7 doing similar things in the presence of these things.
It says no attempt has been made on the system.

I try to reinstall it again no luck, I went and downloaded IE6 no luck :roll:

here is a screen shot and thats all I am getting.

Attachments

• windows.jpg
    windows.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 26
I would get something like Spybot-Search and Destroy or Ad-Aware and check your system.

norton is useless why???

Spybot-Search and Destroy or Ad-Aware I will give to a run up the flag pole.

norton is useless because it is less effective than at least three other FREE AV programs i can think of, it's well known for finding masses of false positives just before your license ends as a way for encouraging you to buy again.

then if you DO try to get rid of it, you'll find it almost impossible to dig out,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus#Criticisms

if you can, try one of these as an alternative (ranked in order)

Nod32
Avast
AVG free

norton is useless because it is less effective than at least three other FREE AV programs i can think of, it's well known for finding masses of false positives just before your license ends as a way for encouraging you to buy again.

then if you DO try to get rid of it, you'll find it almost impossible to dig out,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norton_AntiVirus#Criticisms

if you can, try one of these as an alternative (ranked in order)

Nod32
Avast
AVG free

Is this just your personal opinion?

In the last 12-18 months or so, PC User or one of the larger PC magazines did a comparison of over 30 different AV/Security programs against 62,000+ viruses, malware infections etc. There was only one whose name I knew that made it narrowly into the top 10, and that was norton antivirus at number 9. I don't remember Nod32 or Avast, but AVG came in, in the high 30s position for all round protection. I only noted that because it was what we used at my last place of employment, and I always had my doubts about it.

The number one overall was by a mob called "F Secure", never heard of it, eh? Nah,.... me neither, but that was it. No program received a 100% kill rate. the top ten were 95- 98.6% efficient, the lowest was some piece of poo that actually contained Malware.

Last edited:
each to their own i guess, but i wouldn't touch norton unless it was the only option i had.

i currently use avast and i am well pleased so far

My beef with Norton is that it sucks up system resources in vast quantities, to a large degree it is as bad as the virus's it is meant to be defending against.

I wouldn't use Norton or Mcafee for anyone, I tend to use AVG and Spybot primarily and every few weeks I run a different set just to ensure they are running properly.

i currently use avast and i am well pleased so far

That's what counts.

I also used to have a love/hate affair with Norton as I found it very "intrusive", it seemed to pop up everywhere, but seeing I couldn't manage a cracked copy of F Secure (purely for evaluation purposes of course), I decided to have another go at norton and went to the bother of getting some info and setting the options as recommended by others in a few different forums, I now find that it seems to work very well and unobtrusively. In fact the only reminder that I have it loaded is when I get a bubble message telling me that it has just upgraded it's definitions.

As you say, "To each his own"

Back