Ideal low-weight APC?

syyyme

First, let's me say that I have read the TOP 10, but I'm still confused; it may be because I'm a civilian.

So... my question...

Considering these criteria, which amphibious APC would be the best:

=> Low weight, (to be able to put a maximum of these in a transport aircraft)
=> Good protection against RPG, IED,
=> capacity to transport at least 10 passengers (soldiers...)
=> Low-cost
=> Suitable for urban and bush (shrub) environment
=> High mobility

how about a btr-94? (sorry if it is a stupid guess)

I Hope it's not spam.

Cheers

First, let's me say that I have read the TOP 10, but I'm still confused; it may be because I'm a civilian.

So... my question...

Considering these criteria, which amphibious APC would be the best:

=> Low weight, (to be able to put a maximum of these in a transport aircraft)
=> Good protection against RPG, IED,
=> capacity to transport at least 10 passengers (soldiers...)
=> Low-cost
=> Suitable for urban and bush (shrub) environment
=> High mobility

how about a btr-94? (sorry if it is a stupid guess)

I Hope it's not spam.

Cheers

IED protection (at least the bottom protection) is a quite specialized requirement and dead weight in most conflicts. The capacity (passengers) demand is quite dependent on the squad organization of the institution - anything from eight to 13 might be requested. I would rule out all 4wd vehicles - 6x6 is the minimum for offroad driving in many environments. 4wd limits to about seven or eight tons before offroad becomes too tricky (unless you use unconventionally large tires like the G6 Rhino). A spall liner and some other measures to limit behind-armor effects of penetrations are necessary and the armament should be better than a mere all-round machine gun (at least a shield is required). Common parts with the institution's trucks (wheels/tires, instrumentation, engine, suspension, lights) would be a very good idea. There's not much quality difference between the wheeled APCs once these requirements are met - further refinement offers ever smaller advantages. "Cost" is very different for different customers. You get about 40-60% of your expenditures back in taxes if you products of your own country or get suitable compensation packages.

syyyme, it's not spam as long as you are not selling any BTR model ^^

They really dont like the Russian equipement over here mate.

I think that the btr-94 fulfils only four conditions you give in your list... Low cost and high mobility and maybe low weight... And carrying capacity...

The rest is a big point of interrogation.

They need tracks to go offroad efficiently...
The vehicule can take on bullets and maybe obsolete RPGs...

But if you have to face high caliber armor piercing rounds, RPGs or IEDs... The BTR isnt the perfect platform for that.

the A-team van springs to mind:) J/K

in all honesty they all look the same to me. what i would want is alot of speed on and off road. and preferably any such vehicle should have very good RPG protection(be it active, reactive or passive)

Thanks all for your comments but do you have any suggestions? (you can give me more than one if you are not sure)

Thanks all for your comments but do you have any suggestions? (you can give me more than one if you are not sure)

You asked for a wheeled amphibious APC. That species is about to go extinct. I don't think that any vehicle matches your requirements. Some come close, like the early Fuchs that only lacked IED protection in that list. The APC that looks like Fuchs is very close as well - no true IED protection. The same goes for Dingo and Dingo2 (both 4wd). The Australian Bushmaster vehicle (4wd) lacks only the amphibious capability. GTK/Boxer is only too heavy and not amphibious.

Back