ID theft advice

Amanda

Hello all,

I found out today that someone in Philadelphia was trying to make purchases at Walmart with my debit card, as well as buy fuel at a Wawa (sp?) gas station. I successfully cancelled the card but since this little piece of plastic has never left my possession, I'm wondering how someone "made" one. I do a lot of work and some shopping online so I suppose someone could hack my info, but how do they get away with manufacturing a fake debit card? Is there anything I can do to track them down or discover where I left myself vulnerable? Nobody has access to my house, I'm a single mom with limited resources but would like to be able to protect them. How do I make sure it doesn't happen again? Does filing a police report help? I'm 3 or 4 states away from where this person is and at a loss. Any advice would be appreciated.

Have you used your debit card at a cashpoint machine? That's how a lot of these cards are cloned. They put a skimmer over the slot that reads the magnetic information off the card and also has a little camera that records your pin as you type it in.

skimmer-300x281.png

Have a read of this. ;)

http://nerdtrek.com/keep-credit-cards-safe-skimmers/

Your bank can trace your transactions, so contact them and they may be able to help you to find where and when it happened

Report it to your bank and they might be able to investigate the circumstances.

You've either used your details on a dodgy website, have a virus on your PC or your debit cards been "skimmed" at either an ATM or on a payment swipe machine.

Oh dear... I feel bad for you, Amanda...

The guys are are right... aren't we always... :)

report this to your bank. And be careful when making purchases over the net. Make purchases only from reputable websites. And be wary when websites asks for information that you deemed strange somewhat...

You can lodge a report with the police. It will alert them....

Do take care, Maam...

Thank you all for your responses. I'm working with the bank and police. I never thought to check my PC for a virus, will get on that right away ... thanks again!

With ATMs it is advised that you cover your hand and the keypad with your other hand or a bag if you carry one, to frustrate pinhole cameras.

Back