Hydration Systems

zander_0633

Milforum Gnat
Hi everyone! I am currently searching for a very heavy duty proof, rugged and good hydration system. My friends all introduced me to CamelBak. I have looked at the website and thought ThermoBak 3L was good for me. Then I looked at BlackHawk HydraStorm Tempest II 100oz Pack(http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=4242&d=) . They look similar! So can anyone tell me which is better, a hydration system by Camelbak or a similar one by BlackHawk?

Last edited:
Industry standard for hydration systems is CamelBak. 3L is usually good enough to get you through depending on what you are doing. Think about the weight of the water and your gear..etc.. Blackhawk is to much $$ compared to the qualitiy of CamelBak. Buyer pref though.

Thanks Team Infidel. From what I observed, because I live in Singapore, Camelbak seems to be more expensive. They are selling at S$147 compared to the similar product by BlackHawk selling at about $120. I am very sure that CamelBak is an excellent brand, but I am not sure about the quality of BlackHawk. If the quality between the two comapny is about the same, then I would go for the cheaper product, which is by BlackHawk! Any one with other Suggestion?? Please tell me! Thanks!

By the way, can anyone tell me what the US army is using? I heard they are using CamelBak! I would really want something that is battle-ready! So that I can use it when I go to Army!

I am the squad leader of a scenario paintball team. We carry 30 pounds of equipment on long shirts/pants in Texas summers through 24 hour long straight games of paintball over very rough terrain.

We all use 2 liter camelbaks and have been extremely pleased with them. We go through about .75L-1L an hour. Size, weight, and flexibility where huge parts in our requirements and the camelbak meets all our requirements.

We were all issued 2L, but I had a 3L with outside pouches for stuff. Here in Iraq, that worked for me, but we also had water on ice in our vehicle and would refill when needed.

So CAn I say that the CamelBak is Battle-Proven and Battle-Harden? From the reviews I read on the internet, CamelBak always come out top! Thanks Guys for your reponsive response! Can I know where where can I buy US Army Surplus CamelBak? Can I also know what model the US Army is using? As forWhispering Death, can I need what model of the CamelBak Series are you using, because I am interested to get a ThermoBak 3L by CamelBak.

I think they need a lot of water, cause I am currently living in Singapore, a country which is summer all year round, and I drink lots of water a day with my Nalgene water bottle. I think in the deserty areas of Iraq, water consumption rate must be higher?

zander_0633 said:
I think they need a lot of water, cause I am currently living in Singapore, a country which is summer all year round, and I drink lots of water a day with my Nalgene water bottle. I think in the deserty areas of Iraq, water consumption rate must be higher?

I do a lot of hiking, hunting and backpacking in the high country of the Rocky Mountains. I personally prefer the Camelbak. I also recommend the 3L. You can put 2L in a 3L unit if that satisfies a particular need, but you can't put 3L in a 2L unit.

Whenever I am hiking near streams, I carry a small filtration unit, and only carry 1L in the Camelbak. At my advanced age, I appreciate any savings in weight.

So many people talked about CamelBak! What about any other brands? Does any one go for them? By the way, is the CamelBakreally tough? Have any one gone through tough handling of the CamelBak! Please Tell! Thanks!

I also go kayaking and Hiking and exploring WWII Relics in My country, so is the CamelBak up to all the task?? BTW, I will also be using it for my upcoming military callup. So I was wondering if it can withstand through the Military Conditions? Thanks!

To answer your earlier question IBA is Interceptor Body Armor, standard issue body armor for US Troops.

On the hydration system, go with CamelBak. I do Search and Rescue and as a hobby I do airsoft.

During a misson or SAREX the CamelBak is invaluable, many times my fellow cadets have run out of water in their canteens and an hour and a half later I am still drink the same water I ahd when they ran out.

Now for the airsoft, I was playing once and I had my CamelBak on. I triped on the curb crossing a road and fell on my back (With Body armor and web gear on mind you), I though I had burst my CamelBak. I took it off and to my surprise it was fine, not even a scratch on the lovly Cordra fabric it's made of.

So can i say that most professonal troops in US uses the CamelBak? I have heard of stories about soliders using CamelBak on Mission and Sorties. Overall, I have never heard a single bad coment on CamelBak. Now, If I can have more info about ThermoBak 3L By CamelBak, That would be great!

zander_0633 said:
So can i say that most professonal troops in US uses the CamelBak? I have heard of stories about soliders using CamelBak on Mission and Sorties. Overall, I have never heard a single bad coment on CamelBak. Now, If I can have more info about ThermoBak 3L By CamelBak, That would be great!

I myself have the 3L and HAWG. The 3L is great, it comes in two colors Woodland and Three Day Desert. It has six D-rings on the back, a top carry handle, a back carry handle, to D-rings on the upper cheat area, a sternum strap, ajustable shoulder straps, and small pocket type thing.

cb-thermo-3l-dc_0big.jpg

Back