Hybrid power in modern warfare? Povide some thought - Page 2

--

July 30th, 2010  
A Can of Man

Basically the system is too complicated.
Whereas you will be able to find Joes that can fix a traditional diesel or gasoline engined vehicle for the usual issues, hybrids would be a totally different animal. The level of complexity means that you will have less (or perhaps no) people operating the machines capable of fixing them and will put more emphasis and burdens on the support network.
The other is the issue of reliability. How bang proof is this hybrid stuff?
I'm not against having new technology or methods included but I think this might be a bit too complicated for regular military use.
I think we have far too many "wonder weapons" in employ that has just made the cost of war absolutely astonishing.
July 30th, 2010  
Yossarian

The point that I am supporting is, what is the future of Mechanized components of armed conflict? There will come a time, (human existence permitting) Where our current propulsion systems wnt have the fuel needed to run.

I'm not suggesting hybrid technology as a replacement, just merely a stepping stone. As of right now, not much is on the drawing board. Unlike most other cases, it seems armed conflict will not spark a new area of technological advancements, however in this instance, will fall behind and most likely be the last area of civilization to pick up on the new technological breakthough of fossil fuel replacement.

That's only my estimation however. Yea it would suck, but either it's going to be hard and suck a little now, or suck really hard later. Either way, radical changes will have to occur, and a ocean of money will have to be behind it.
July 30th, 2010  
A Can of Man

The reason why major technological breakthroughs are not occuring is because currently technology is not the major answer to the current battlefield problems. In fact, I think reliance on hardware is leading to the wrong sort of thinking.
--
July 30th, 2010  
dwm042

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukio
What are the major identifiable challenges however? Got to point these out then begin thinking how to overcome hem.
The use of highly reactive alkali metals in the batteries is a start.
July 30th, 2010  
A Can of Man

Let me put it this way. Let's say you're in charge of a trucking company. Will you want trucks that are easy to fix and inexpensive to buy and maintain or would you want stuff that costs an arm and a leg?
All this stuff needs is as follows:
- A strong engine
- Some armor
July 31st, 2010  
Yossarian

I don't know what will happen one day when the taps run dry.

Then again, what about as of now using already proven technology with say using engines that do not employ all the cylinders unless need be to reduce fuel consumption.

Also , I agree 100% on the fact that technology can NOT solve human indifference in human conflict, not at all, but as long as this race is going to use mechanized components in warefare, they will be there, and to over look that component may put a fighting force behind the edge, having the latest and greatest gear in anything does not conclude the total outcome, but sometimes unfortunately skill alone, will not fill a serious technological gap.
July 31st, 2010  
A Can of Man

I don't think the taps will be running dry anytime soon.
July 31st, 2010  
Yossarian

Even if they do, I agree with the fact that military forces will have last dibs on the stuff.
July 31st, 2010  
George

The idea certainly isn't any worse than nuclear powered airplanes!
July 31st, 2010  
A Can of Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukio
Even if they do, I agree with the fact that military forces will have last dibs on the stuff.
If they don't have first dibs, your government is truly rubbish.
They'll have the stuff even when everyone else doesn't.