Hunting Cats in Wisconsin??

Duty Honor Country

For all you cat haters, this might make you smile. For you animal lovers, this may make you knringe.

Hunting proposal targets roaming cats

By BRENDA INGERSOLL Lee Newspapers
Hunters across the state will be asked to vote next month on whether cats should be hunted.

A La Crosse man who hunts and traps wants to make free-roaming domestic cats an "unprotected species" that could be shot at will by anyone with a small-game license.

Mark Smith's suggestion will be placed before hunters on April 11 at the Wisconsin Conservation Congress spring hearings in each of the state's 72 counties. Smith, a 48-year-old firefighter for the city of La Crosse, said any cat not under its owner's direct control, or which does not have a collar, should be considered fair game...
read more

Actually our cats stay inside all the time. It doesn't bother them if they've never known any other way since kittenhood. We don't do it to save birds from cats though but to save the cats from this:

That's a fishing martin also called a "fisher cat". It's midway between a weasel and a wolverine. Quite common around these parts. Domestic cat is number one on their menu. Had my third cat killed by one and after that decided no more cats go outside. Every year you can tell when the fisher cats have become active in the Fall and Spring when all the signs go up for missing cats. "Have you seen Puff?" and "Snowball is missing!" at every bill posting area. So sad.

I don't imagine that bill will pass. Outraged cat owners will take issue with that at the polls. Let your cat out and anybody can shoot it? I prefer dogs but my cats are not only decent pets they're quite useful. Field mice are a real problem in rural areas. None have invaded my house and lasted very long.

Back