Hunting in Africa (Britinafrica)

headwards

Hi Brit,

Directing this at you mate because you actually live in Africa, though anybody elses opinion would be most welcome.
I'm getting serious about doing another trip in the next year or so and putting money away, thinking about an African safari as my grandad raves about the one he did 30 odd years ago. What is your opinion on a really good way to go about it/ what would a realistic budget be for this sort of thing? Thinking about a month or two kind of timeframe.

Cheers in advance,
Scott

G'day Scott.

First of all I'd give South Africa a wide berth, the new firearms act is causing all manner of problems for visiting (as well as our own) hunters, I'd seriously suggest either Botswana or Kenya who seem to be a lot more hunter friendly. A lot of South African hunting outfitters have bailed from South Africa and moved their operation to Botswana.

The costs of hunting safari's can be horrific depending on what you hunt, it all depends on the outfitter.

I'd suggest going on line and look for Hunting Outfitters in Botswana.

I found this one in two minutes. http://www.johancalitzsafaris.co.za/bots_packages.htm.

Hope this helps.

Brit

Hey thanks very much for that Brit. Is it something youve ever done or would do?
Im not necessarily that into the 'trophy' side of the safari but getting close to these animals is what I would really like to do.
Therefore the firearms worries are not too much of a concern though the way you have painted africa to me seems like a place where a pistol seems like a minimum for a man traveling with a psrtner who will be a victim over several dead bodies.

I am not a hunter Scott, I don't like killing, I do all my shooting through a camera lens. However I am not an anti hunter, hunting pays for conservation and preservation. I don't like trophy hunters unless the whole animal is used and not left to rot.

I have sat at water holes for hours watching and photographing elephant herds, they are amazing animals to study, they are so much like human families.

A placeIi would suggest is the Okavango Delta in Botswana, the wild life there is amazing, but there are crocs and lions to worry about as well as Hippo's.

Wherever you go take a local guide with you, far too many tourists have died because they were too tight fisted to hire a guide.

It sounds like people are what you have to worry about, not the animals. One of the guys I work with just moved over from there and his stories dont sell it that well, though he did say South Africa is worse.

Ive hardly ever been hunting myself though I always enjoy being out and about wandering in the bush.
Id probably be like you shooting pictures-makes the money go a lot further

*hunting* in Africa??

Lion%20eating%20man.jpg

ooooooooh-Kay

A a few years ago a Chinese fella tried to get a better look at lions and despite "Stay in your car" notices everywhere he got out to get a better look at a pride. He got a better look alright, he got a better look inside them. He ended up a turd in the grass.

One of my favourites stories is, a bunch of tourists in a 12 seat mini bus tried to pet a baby elephant, mum came along and pounded the mini bus to pieces. Thankfully no one was hurt, but I did chuckle.

A bloke I knew moved to Oz, if you ever met him you'd want to shoot him. He is a total and utter plonker, according to him he designed and built a pistol for aircrew yet he couldn't tighten a nut and bolt unless you showed him how.

Last edited:
Arent all the vehicles open top anyway?

The tour vehicles are, this numbnut got out of a private car. One of my favourite stories was when an elephant was "sniffing" passengers in one of those open top tour vehicles, lifted up a blokes wig, looked at it and threw it into the bush.:mrgreen:

Back