Hundreds of Nazi Cases Reopened

http://www.ww2-eyewitness.com/ww2-sa/magazine-sa.html

The Daily Telegraph has reproduced facsimiles of the newspaper printed during WW2, along with a magazine which includes witness accounts. The following account comes from part 22 of the collection, a Japanese Artillery Lieutenants diary.

"Jan 31st.
An American prisoner of war was killed, first Hosogawa bayoneted him from behind, which gave the men much amusement. Then he stuck him in the stomach. He did not die at once, but of course it is not permitted to waste bullets when killing prisoners of war. After dinner we killed three more."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only apology from Japan I am aware of was many years after the war ended. Dutch POW's on being released from their captors, handed out the same treatment to their guards as they were given, resulting in the death of the majority of Japanese.

Both the Dutch and Japanese apologised to each other, to my mind the Dutch had nothing to apologise for.

Last edited:
I aggree, if they call for justice, it must be justice for all!

If they want to drag ageing ex-KZ guards, clerks and cooks to a court for their contribution to the holocoust, fine, let it be done.
But then I want the entire Japan on their knees begging forgiveness for their deeds during WW II as well.

One of my grand-uncle's collegues was pulled out of the lifeboat together with the skipper and placed in a japanese prison camp, while the rest of the crew was machinegunned to death in the sea.
This was after their civillian freight-steamer was torpedoed by a Japanese submarine.

I remember the words of a US ex-POW who was asked if he had any regrets about USA dropping the nuclear bombs on Japan, his reply was swift:
"My only regret is that we didn't have 5 of them bombs to drop on Japan!"

"My only regret is that we didn't have 5 of them bombs to drop on Japan!"

that was the plan. if needed. nuke em till they glow in the dark

The Daily Telegraph has reproduced facsimiles of the newspaper printed during WW2, along with a magazine which includes witness accounts. The following account comes from part 22 of the collection, a Japanese Artillery Lieutenants diary.

"Jan 31st.
An American prisoner of war was killed, first Hosogawa bayoneted him from behind, which gave the men much amusement. Then he stuck him in the stomach. He did not die at once, but of course it is not permitted to waste bullets when killing prisoners of war. After dinner we killed three more."

The only apology from Japan I am aware of was many years after the war ended. Dutch POW's on being released from their captors, handed out the same treatment to their guards as they were given, resulting in the death of the majority of Japanese.

Both the Dutch and Japanese apologised to each other, to my mind the Dutch had nothing to apologise for.[/QUOTE

One has to understand that, a Japanese soldier was taught that surrender was cowardly, an insult to their ancestors and turning ones' back upon the emperor. Therefore, any prisoners they held were considered the same and did not deserve any "humane" treatment. Nobody knows for sure just how many Allied prisoners or soldiers were killed by their guards.

Also, little is ever reported about how the Japanese slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Chinese during their rape of that country before WWII.

:salute2:

"Jan 31st.

Both the Dutch and Japanese apologised to each other, to my mind the Dutch had nothing to apologise for.[/QUOTE

One has to understand that, a Japanese soldier was taught that surrender was cowardly, an insult to their ancestors and turning ones' back upon the emperor. Therefore, any prisoners they held were considered the same and did not deserve any "humane" treatment. Nobody knows for sure just how many Allied prisoners or soldiers were killed by their guards.

Also, little is ever reported about how the Japanese slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Chinese during their rape of that country before WWII.

:salute2:

After dinner we killed three more."

they probably ate them for dinner. American livers were very tasty to Japs

If the Japanese Soldiers found so hard to surrender then why did the Senior Members of the Japanese forces do so many deals with MacArthur to save their own skins.

Maybe it was not drilled into them as much as the grunts.
You want people to willingly die for you? Make them believe in something.

One has to understand that, a Japanese soldier was taught that surrender was cowardly, an insult to their ancestors and turning ones' back upon the emperor. Therefore, any prisoners they held were considered the same and did not deserve any "humane" treatment.

If that is correct, then why not admit it publicly and teach what they did in their schools? They still deny any wrong doing

The patients in a Hong Kong hospital who were bayoneted and tortured in their beds, didn't surrender, they couldn't move to surrender. Then the rape and torture of women nurses, then there are the nurses captured in Singapore who were herded into the sea and machine gunned.

These are the actions of soldiers?

Nobody knows for sure just how many Allied prisoners or soldiers were killed by their guards.

No one will ever know how many Allied POW's or innocent civilians died at the hands of the Japanese

Also, little is ever reported about how the Japanese slaughtered hundreds of thousands of Chinese during their rape of that country before WWII.:salute2:

I agree with that completely, while stationed in Singapore I spoke to civilian workers who suffered under the Japanese, including an Indian labourer who was dragged behind a truck because he couldn't "SPEEDO" due to a curved spine he was born with. Then we have the Rape of Nanking where over 200,000 civilians were murdered, pregnant women had their babies hacked out of the womb, people buried alive, the list goes on and on.

These are the actions of soldiers?

They were no more and no less savages of the worst kind.

An ex 14th Army soldier who was a POW on the Burma railway once said during a TV interview, "Not only were we the forgotten army, we are also the forgotten POW's."

Last edited:
The german nation is responsible for hiding tens of thousands of their criminals but then again Germans feel no real regrets apart from having lost.

A great many Germans that I have met are ashamed of what happened in their name, and as for War Criminals then I think South America and the Vatican had a lot to answer. Yet you shelter Von Braun the rocket scientist and he was involved in all sorts of things while Hitler was in power.

I forgot to mention, the station I was on was taken over by the Japanese. After the Japanese surrendered and taken over by the RAF, two mass graves were found, then years later when the boundary fence was being repaired human remains were also found, their hands tied behind their backs with barbed wire.

I forgot to mention, the station I was on was taken over by the Japanese. After the Japanese surrendered and taken over by the RAF, two mass graves were found, then years later when the boundary fence was being repaired human remains were also found, their hands tied behind their backs with barbed wire.

There should have been a "Neurenberg" trial for the Japanese, but logic stops where politics begin.

There should have been a "Neurenberg" trial for the Japanese, but logic stops where politics begin.
Oh, but there were trials, plenty of them. I knew a man who was present when 5 Japanese War Criminals were hung in one morning, in 1951, over the pit in the motor repair shop on Manus Island, a mere flyspeck of an island.

There were many others shot and hung in other places, but somehow they never achieved the notoriety of the Nazi war Criminals.

Captain Hoshijima the CO of Sandekan POW camp bit the hangman as he was being led to the gallows. April 1946.

The Japanese official report in the death of my uncle on the first Sandekan death march was "Malaria." They forgot to add starvation rations, refusal to provide medical treatment and being shot or bayoneted by guards. He, like thousands of others, has no known grave.

According to the Japanese they treated the POW's fairly, evidence by local villagers who witnessed the death marches more or less put the noose around the neck of Capt Hosijima.

A neighbour of mine in UK was in Singapore not long after the Japanese surrender, he was sickened to see ex Japanese camp guards riding around in jeeps laughing and joking.

A real slap in the face was Hirohito's visit to UK in 1971. My dads neighbour sent his Burma Star and other medals back to Buckingham Palace, ex POW's and families were utterly disgusted. Imagine the outcry if Adolf Hitler had survived and was invited to view the east end of London bombed during the Blitz.

My family never were great fans of the Royal Family, after Hirohito's visit, they had an intense hatred for them. I heard that Mountbatten wasn't too pleased either.

Last edited:
The german nation is responsible for hiding tens of thousands of their criminals but then again Germans feel no real regrets apart from having lost.

I tend to disagree there, the majority of younger Germans I have encountered are very well aware of the crimes done by the nazis, and they bear a collective guilt simply by being born German.
As it turned out I actually had more knowledgde of German history (1870-1918) than several well educated Germans I talked to, I had to ask them why, and they explained that most of the German history prior to the nazi-take over in 1933 was more or less erased from their history books.
They were taught about the nazi regime and the crimes commited under their rule, whatever happened before that was left to the individual student to find out.

I was also a bit stunned when a retired mechanic from Germany, probably born in the last stages of the war, came up to me and asked what kind of crimes they had done in this area.
"Was für scheisse haben wir hier gemacht im den krieg?"
So I gave him the short story, and asked why he mentioned it, as he was obviously not here in those days.
His reply was simply: "No, but we're Germans."

A kind of attitude I've never experienced from any Japanese.

On exercise in Germany we had our trucks parked and cammo'd up all over small village, along side houses, in a pub car park etc. As I was checking my section for fuel status an elderly German civilian came out of his house and offered me a beer, needless to say I accepted. In my very limited German I asked him “Doesn't it annoy you to have our trucks all over your village?” He replied, “I'd rather have you then the Russians.”

When I was station at our Embassy in Vienna, I lived in the Dreiecke which was in the Russian Occupation Zone. No matter where I went there, the people treated me warmly and many told stories of how happy they were when we and the Brits ended the Occupation and forced the Russians to leave.
According to them, it was harder for them to recover from the war as the Russians had literally torn down and carried back to Russia every single thing they wanted to. Shops. Bakeries. Any kind of production plant. And just tons upon tons of steel, iron, copper and any other useful metals.
Unlike Germans, Austrians are well-versed in their history and their only apology for the war was their acceptance of Unschluss, saying they knew Austria had no chance of standing up to "The Austrian Corporal."

Back