HumVees vs APC

GSO

Do HumVees make good troop carriers in a hostile enviornment? I noticed the Marines have started to use an armor plating solution on the driver and passenger doors to protect them from schrapnel from IEDs and are building armor plates for the top gunner. Personnaly I perfer the six by six wheeled armored personnel carrier that deflects RPGs.

LOL. I meant that the use of Humvees has been discussed in a topic here before, and if youl look artound for it, youll find that we discussed the heck out of it. The topic should be in this section of the site.

Explosive Resistant Coating

This is a new topic as of July 24, 2004
http://www.defenselink.mil/multimedia/
A HMMWV with Explosive Resistant Coating (ERC) armor door at Camp Fallujah, Iraq, July 24, 2004. The ERC is used to protect Marines from improvised explosive devices during Security and Stabilization Operations in the Al Anbar Province of Iraq.

Lemme speak before this gets locked then. I say Humvee for sheer agility and flexibility. There ain't but so fast, so agile, and so flexible an APC can be. A Humvee can have weaopns attatched, a hospital installed, MP booth created, and who knows what else...

Since my dad owns a Humvee and I've driven it numersous times, I'm inclined to say Humvee. An APC is okay for protection, but a Humvee is a great utility and transport vehicle.

Technically, if you're using the Bradley as a troop carrier, then it functions as a type of APC. Obviously that's not its primary function, but it sorta works for that.

But the comparison was between the HumV and the APC. I think it entirely depends on what you're doing. If you need flexibility, go HumV. If you are trying to transport troops through extremely hostile territory and under enemy fire of all sorts ... well you'd be kinda stupid to go with the HumV over the APC. If you need to get somewhere faster, back to the HumV again. If you need to run through an area with lots of brush or other terrain challenges and there's no road, the APC is a better choice.

Humvee isn't a combat troop carrier, it doesn't have any armor. I'd much rather be in a Bradley, or even a Stryker, hell even an M113

Back