Hummvee or Land Rover?

Hummer or Land Rover

• Hummer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Land Rover

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BigBert96

Which vehicle would you use in your army? The American made Hummvee, or the British made land rover? (For Multirole)

THe hummer is a lot larger so it has a lot more capacity to put weapons on and other sysems, but i prefer the land rover as its been doing the job for the last 40 odd years, theres several variants with armour and weapons and its smaller than the hummer so manouvering it around is a lot easier and its not so noticeable (maybe thats why the rangers have it as one of there vehicles?) and its as good off road as the hummer.

Acctually, id like both. The land rover can go places the hummer cant. The dang thing is so wide.... :D

The landrover because its a very very good offroader, although as you say the humvee is a better weapon platform! I saw a black Hummer in a village the other day thats like a humvee basically.

Well, I've never seen an independent side by side test of the two. Both are excellent. I couldn't say which is better offroad. Looks-wise, the Hummer has a wider-set wheel base, but I'm not sure if this becomes an adavantage or liability in most situations.

The land rover is no longer the sole choice of vehicle for the british army in its class, i agree that a mix of 2 would be the best option but the width of the hummer must make it a ***** to drive in dense terrain

yes, but not if the driver knows what he is doing. Also, military land rovers are sometimes open-tops, so there is no weight up there, just canvas or utah....

land rovers are just as likely to tip as any other off roader, but like sherman says there are the open topped WOLF varients i think and there are ones with fully armoured sides, land rovers though even in there civilian versions are excellent off-road, though not so good on-road

Not being able to drive in small spaces doesent matter because they use quads and dirtbikes for that. Id go with the humvee because its a more robust platform but the landrover is a great machine.

Prob with dirtbikes/quads is that the rider is far more exposed and you cant carry half as much weight, a mix of the two in an army would be by far the best option!

Its a very close call, the Land Rover and Hummer are very good 4 by 4's, thats not all you need. I hummer has great armor, and you can put a 50, or Mark 19 on top. I gaurantee you in inner city the hummer will outlast (Somalia). Then the Land Rover is a great vehicle, but I cant picture it taking many bullets. Plus it hold less cargo/equipment than the humvee.

The width is a strength, more stable, more cargo. The flip side for the Land Rover is more manueverable, but more flippable. You cant argue price becuz they are both expensive. Im gonna go with the Humvee.

Anyone know about their powerplants? :cowb:

I'm a Land Rover owner so I might be a bit bias in some areas. But as a military vehicle I think the Hummer would be better. I thinking deciding between the two really wouldn't make much of a difference though. The British are using their LRs in the same areas we take Hummers. In a desert environment both are very capable off road vehicles. Now if you want to go into thick brush and do some rock crawling, you'd probably take the LR because it's narrower. But then again, the military has other vehicle for that kind of fun, like FAVs.

hummer dont take it of the road

During my time i Congo whit a MB Gelenderwagon i spent allot of time waiting for the hummers to get over the mudd rivers that the MB and the landrovers past whiteout any problems but to the hummers advantage i would have to say the drop down axels are god for passing logs or something but when passing mudd they stand still!

during desert storm the troops made bets on whoever could get their hummers stuck in sand or mud or whatever they found. apparently no one ever won. you have to remember, the hummer was designed so that as long as one wheel has traction it's enough to get it out of trouble. there isn't too many other vehicles that can do that.

Back