Hummvee or Land Rover?

Hummer or Land Rover

• Hummer

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Land Rover

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Humvees are great. Truly American too they are great versatile machines with heavy armor

Humvees are great. Truly American too they are great versatile machines with heavy armor

"Heavy armor"? What are you talking about. The Hummer isent heavily armored and the same goes for the Landrover. They are not meant to be armored.

ACTaFOOL82 said:
Anyone know about their powerplants? :cowb:

I'm not sure about the Land Rover but I know the hummer uses a 6.2L/6.5L diesel depending on how recently the powerplant has been replaced. Has about 165hp either way but the 6.5L has a lil more torque.

Also to clarify the problem most people have with the hummer is that they don't realize it has a traction control system in it. The problem is you have to activate it. If you have ever driven one you will notice that there is a small amount of play in the brake petal. If you depress it until you feel resistance but not until it starts braking the traction control kicks in. Also many people are way to confident in its abilities and leave it in its full time 4WD setting. If they would bother shifting the transfer into high lock or 4 low it would quickly make it through anything.

Re: hummer dont take it of the road

batsman said:
During my time i Congo whit a MB Gelenderwagon i spent allot of time waiting for the hummers to get over the mudd rivers that the MB and the landrovers past whiteout any problems but to the hummers advantage i would have to say the drop down axels are god for passing logs or something but when passing mudd they stand still!

You must had seen a hummer rip off or something because there is noway a Gelenderwagon is going to out do a hummer in off-road.

well acording to the british army they done tests on both, i believe the yanks offered us some, and the LR beat the hummer in everything except carrying stuff.

arghh . sorry i cant rem where i got it, take it as BS if you want but im 100% sure this is real.
i think it was in the paper somewhere. grr stupid brain!

rileyrat said:
Also many people are way to confident in its abilities and leave it in its full time 4WD setting. If they would bother shifting the transfer into high lock or 4 low it would quickly make it through anything.
Maybe I'm understanding you wrong, but the Hummer is fulltime 4x4. I understand there is a lower gear case transfer, but it stays in high when driving normally (on road). The only time you use the lower transfer case is when you are off road and getting in trouble. It changes the gear ratios in the transmission allowing for more torque. You can't turn the 4x4 off in a Hummer. There is the same system in the Land Rover and G-Wagon.
The traction control that it sounds like you're talking about it ABS. Depressing the brake pedal during a panic stop or heavy braking causes the pedal to "bounce." This is the computer releasing the brakes on certain tires to prevent lock up and skidding.
But if you're talking about standard TC then what that normally does is transfer power between the wheels providing more torque to the wheel with the greatest amount of traction. It also works to prevent wheel lock up my actuating the brake calipers preventing wheel lock up.

In vehicles like the Hummer and LR the TC is able to completely cut off power to a wheel that has no traction at all (if it was in the air or spinning in mud or on ice for example). This has a lot to do with the differential system setup also. In the Hummer I believe you have the option of locking all differentials or ones for the rear. The LR doesn't have that option because the TC computer will automatically decide what will be locked or not. In the D-series LR's they have a differential lock.

The power plant in a LR Disco Series II is a 4.6L V8 with 217hp@4750rpm and 300lb-ft torque@2600rpm. The Range Rover uses a 4.4L V8 with 282hp@5400rpm and 325lb-ft torque@3600rpm. But if we're talking about off road stuff then the Defender is probably the LR that you want to look at. That has a 3.5L V8 with 116hp@4000 rpm and 189lb-ft torque@2500 rpm. But the reason it's a better off road vehicle is the better approach, break over, and decent angles because of the short overhang. Remember there are different types of offroad driving. Most military vehicles will never need to do rock climbing type of stuff so the Hummer fits the bill well. It can have a very wide stance because you don't need a narrow vehicle most of the time.

Big_Z said:
batsman said:
During my time i Congo whit a MB Gelenderwagon i spent allot of time waiting for the hummers to get over the mudd rivers that the MB and the landrovers past whiteout any problems but to the hummers advantage i would have to say the drop down axels are god for passing logs or something but when passing mudd they stand still!

You must had seen a hummer rip off or something because there is noway a Gelenderwagon is going to out do a hummer in off-road.

There has to be more to it then crossing a mud river. Mud won't stop a Hummer. What was the situation like? Was it narrow? If it was a river, was it fast flowing water? Was the river bed just mud? There could have been so many different issues that effect the way a vehicle reacts in certain terrain. I find it hard to believe that a LR or G-Wagon out performed a Hummer if it was simply a mud laden river.

I know it sounds a little confusing but I will try to simplify. The hummer as 3 transfer settings, 4 if you count Neutral. Setting one is full time 4WD, the power is sent to the wheel that is easiest to turn. Setting two is 4WD high lock, the transfer stays in the same gear ratios but all 4 wheels turn at the same speed. Third setting 4Low, this is when the transfer changes the gear ratios to provide more power. In 4Low all 4 wheels turn at the same speed. Hope that clarifies what I mean about the Full Time 4WD setting. BTW yes, you are correct in the statement that the hummer does not have a 2WD setting so in essence that is what makes it full time 4WD but many civilians don't realize the difference in how the hummer works and how a normal full time 4WD system works.

The traction control system is activated by the brake petal I know this sounds odd but it's how it works. Normally you would not want as much play in the petal as the hummer has but its there just for this purpose. You can prove this by removing one of the propshafts from the differental to the gear hubs by the wheel. While in aforementioned setting one, the hummer will not move when the accelerator is depressed, even when on flat ground. Now, if you press the petal in to just before the brakes activate, the hummer will move with no problems. This will also happen if you remove the brake caliper from the same location, showing that it is a true traction control system and not one of the simple brake controlled "traction control" systems. What happens is the transfer is forced into a setting similar to the high lock (see setting two above) thus allowing you to power past a small obstical or short length of muddy terrain.

My knowledge comes from 9 years of experience as a mechanic in the U.S. Army. I am classified as a artillery mechanic, meaning I have to be in a self-propelled artillery unit, but once you get to your unit you will work on whatever needs to be fixed hehe. A higher level of maintenance ran into a problem on one of my hummers once, it wouldn't move with the front left propshaft out ever though it is a full time 4WD vehicle. But it did learch forward when you pressed back onto the brake petal. I grabbed one of the manuals for it and read up on the drive line system and found out about the traction control system and how it is not brake related. Hope this info helped you guys out :D

egoz said:
Big_Z said:
batsman said:

There has to be more to it then crossing a mud river. Mud won't stop a Hummer. What was the situation like? Was it narrow? If it was a river, was it fast flowing water? Was the river bed just mud? There could have been so many different issues that effect the way a vehicle reacts in certain terrain. I find it hard to believe that a LR or G-Wagon out performed a Hummer if it was simply a mud laden river.

The times the hummers got stuck in congo was when it whas muddy banks or in swamps and at the same time drove over a rice must be because they are so long

This is a nice pic not from congo but from Bosnia and it is of a hummer stuck where a toyota landcruiser just past http://medlem.spray.se/sniperteam/patrull.hummer_fast.jpg

i was unfamiliar with that type of differential setup and TC on the hummer. but i have a better understanding of it now, thanks.

the hummer doesn't exactly look stuck, what seems to be the problem? is it a clearance thing (which i kind of doubt)? i've heard complaints that it's too wide, but that doesn't seem to be the problem here either.

Back