hummer isn'y doing so well?

webs

i have recently read that the hummer is kinda suckin, by like flippin over or just being crappy, is that true?

Not at all. The Hummer is just having problems with RPG's. Its well base and axle are to wide for it to flip, thats was one of the design demands, becasue the jeep flipped more then it drove.

Hummers, like 19 years old. build since 1986.
http://globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/hmmwv.htm

Still a great HMMWV.

The only other HMMWV that comes close to the Hummer is the Landrover and that Vickers truck.

I haven't heard a thing about it and I have 30ish sitting in my motorpool. When it comes to pure off road capabilities the HMMWV is perfection. I drive HMMWV's on a daily basis, I'm a tams clerk.

Big_Z said:
I haven't heard a thing about it and I have 30ish sitting in my motorpool. When it comes to pure off road capabilities the HMMWV is perfection. I drive HMMWV's on a daily basis, I'm a tams clerk.

Sweet.

I think a lot of people are mad because HMMWVs are getting destroyed by RPGs. But when an RPG is meant to take out a heavily armed vehicle like a tank, there isn't much you can do to protect a HMMWV. Intelligence and vigilance are the best armor the HMMWVs have.

The Rhino up armor has been a big help, I'm sure, but no, Hummers aren't much of a match for an RPG even with up armor.

Yes that why USA should use m113 instead.

What Hummer is doing in Iraq is not its job, its an APC's job.

Surprisingly, even the Chinese are looking forward in fielding their own versions of Hummvees.

They are amazed of it's ability to handle rugged terrain and as an excellent fast troop transport.

Yes that why USA should use m113 instead.

What Hummer is doing in Iraq is not its job, its an APC's job.

No. M113s are primarily deployed for faster troop movements, not as patrols, scouts, or recon. The streets of Iraq is not always a battlefield. In terms of budget and supply, the US is more resourceful in Hummvees than APCs.

EagleStrike said:
Hasn't the news said many of the Humvees aren't even armored at all
A Humvee is a Jeep not a tank or an APC, it is not supposed to have armour. To have small arms protection one can modify them like the Brits and Israeli have for their Jeeps in N.Ireland and Israel.
becasue the jeep flipped more then it drove.
Adam Seaman,
Thats a silly remark for a vehicle that has more than proved its worth, in nomerous wars and battles.

The up armor and it's added weight are playing hell with the Hummers Engines and Transmissions also.

03USMC said:
The up armor and it's added weight are playing h**l with the Hummers Engines and Transmissions also.

Yup, it eats the suspension up and causes stress on pretty much every aspect of the vehicle.

Its easy to say "up armor it!" but when you have a better understanding of the vehicle you realize that it causes more problems then it fixes.

Yeah I saw that the up armor leaves only about 400 llbs for men and equipment out of the Hummer's 2500 llb max weight load. Easy to see how that could be taking a toll.

becasue the jeep flipped more then it drove.
Adam Seaman,
Thats a silly remark for a vehicle that has more than proved its worth, in nomerous wars and battles.[/quote]

I was not refering to the Ford or Willy's, but the jeeps used during Veitnam. Like the small ones. Jeeps made from 1939-1955 where awesome but from 1957-1978 sucked.

The M151 Jeep was just as good as the Driver. No better or worse than the bonehead behind the wheel.

A Humvee is a Jeep not a tank or an APC, it is not supposed to have armour. To have small arms protection one can modify them like the Brits and Israeli have for their Jeeps in N.Ireland and Israel.

Uhh.. It does supposed to have small arms armor at least. A lot of them even small arm fire can go through.

EagleStrike said:

Uhh.. It does supposed to have small arms armor at least. A lot of them even small arm fire can go through.

No, not really. One of the most popular variants of the HMMWV, the 998, is fully tarped. HMMWV's are not made for protection, they are meant as a workhorse to get troops around on the battlefield no matter what the terrain is.

I found this article on Armytimes

March 18, 2005

Humvee crashes perplex Army

By Gregg Zoroya
USA Today

The Army is baffled by a recent spate of vehicle accidents in Iraq — many of them rollovers involving armored Humvees — that have claimed more than a dozen lives this year.
One key concern: Soldiers lack the skills to handle the heavier Humvees and are losing control as they speed through ambush areas before insurgents detonate roadside bombs.

“An individual feels that if he goes faster he can avoid that threat,” says Lt. Col. Michael Tarutani, an Army official tracking the accidents. “But now he’s exceeded, first, maybe his capabilities, and then maybe the speed for those conditions.”

In the past four full months, the numbers of serious vehicle accidents and fatalities in Iraq have more than doubled from the previous four months, records provided by the Army show. In the first 10 weeks of this year, 14 soldiers were killed in accidents involving Humvees or trucks. All but one died in rollovers. If that rate continues, the number of soldiers killed in such accidents this year would be almost double the 39 soldiers killed in 2004. Detailed records involving Marines were not available.

The Army is trying to determine whether the dramatic increase in the number of Humvees in use in Iraq — or an increase in the amount of miles they are being driven — might explain the higher number of accidents. It also is questioning whether the handling and center of gravity in Humvees may have been altered by armor plating bolted on in Iraq or shields added around gun turrets.

Adding to the mystery is that many of the rollover accidents involve the newest generation of factory-produced armored Humvees, vehicles thoroughly tested by the Army and with an even lower center of gravity than those without armor plating.

“The Humvee is one of the most stable vehicles that we have,” says Brig. Gen. Patrick O’Reilly, who runs the Army’s program to buy and maintain wheeled vehicles. “Where we are right now is in a very intensive effort at studying the accident reports so we can understand what the root cause is.”

In one accident, two members of the Mississippi National Guard — Spc. Joseph Rahaim, 22, of Laurel, Miss., and Sgt. Timothy Osbey, 34, of Magnolia, Miss. — drowned in 4 feet of water Feb. 16 after their Humvee rolled into a canal near Iskandariyah, Iraq. They were trapped inside, the Army says.

In another case, Army Spc. Robert McNail, 30, of Meridian, Miss., was killed Feb. 11 when the Humvee he was driving collided with another Humvee. McNail, also a Guardsman, was thrown from his vehicle. The Army says he wasn’t wearing a seat belt.

“That’s a concern for us,” says J.T. Coleman, spokesman for the Army Combat Readiness Center, which is examining the accidents. “Already, we have in the works a different restraining system.”

The Army also is developing a four-hour supplemental driving course for soldiers, particularly those being sent to Iraq, Tarutani says.

I belive that the Humvee was designed to combine the aspects of two vehicles into one, i.e the Jeep and the light 1 ton trucks like the M-37 or Dodge WC-51/55
The Humvee has successfully achived that by being a light mulipurpose vehicle that has reduced the logistical problems and provided a multipurpose platform.
Do correct me if the concept was different from what I have posted.

Back