hummer isn'y doing so well?

--

March 21st, 2005  
webs

Topic: hummer isn'y doing so well?

i have recently read that the hummer is kinda suckin, by like flippin over or just being crappy, is that true?
March 21st, 2005  
FO Seaman

Not at all. The Hummer is just having problems with RPG's. Its well base and axle are to wide for it to flip, thats was one of the design demands, becasue the jeep flipped more then it drove.

Hummers, like 19 years old. build since 1986.
http://globalsecurity.org/military/s...ound/hmmwv.htm

Still a great HMMWV.

The only other HMMWV that comes close to the Hummer is the Landrover and that Vickers truck.
March 21st, 2005  
Big_Z

I haven't heard a thing about it and I have 30ish sitting in my motorpool. When it comes to pure off road capabilities the HMMWV is perfection. I drive HMMWV's on a daily basis, I'm a tams clerk.
--
March 21st, 2005  
FO Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Z
I haven't heard a thing about it and I have 30ish sitting in my motorpool. When it comes to pure off road capabilities the HMMWV is perfection. I drive HMMWV's on a daily basis, I'm a tams clerk.
Sweet.
March 21st, 2005  
Knightraptor

I think a lot of people are mad because HMMWVs are getting destroyed by RPGs. But when an RPG is meant to take out a heavily armed vehicle like a tank, there isn't much you can do to protect a HMMWV. Intelligence and vigilance are the best armor the HMMWVs have.
March 21st, 2005  
Charge 7

The Rhino up armor has been a big help, I'm sure, but no, Hummers aren't much of a match for an RPG even with up armor.
March 22nd, 2005  
EagleZtrike

Hasn't the news said many of the Humvees aren't even armored at all
March 22nd, 2005  
Snauhi

Yes that why USA should use m113 instead.

What Hummer is doing in Iraq is not its job, its an APC's job.
March 23rd, 2005  
CABAL

Surprisingly, even the Chinese are looking forward in fielding their own versions of Hummvees.

They are amazed of it's ability to handle rugged terrain and as an excellent fast troop transport.

Quote:
Yes that why USA should use m113 instead.

What Hummer is doing in Iraq is not its job, its an APC's job.
No. M113s are primarily deployed for faster troop movements, not as patrols, scouts, or recon. The streets of Iraq is not always a battlefield. In terms of budget and supply, the US is more resourceful in Hummvees than APCs.
March 23rd, 2005  
lemontree

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleStrike
Hasn't the news said many of the Humvees aren't even armored at all
A Humvee is a Jeep not a tank or an APC, it is not supposed to have armour. To have small arms protection one can modify them like the Brits and Israeli have for their Jeeps in N.Ireland and Israel.
Quote:
becasue the jeep flipped more then it drove.
Adam Seaman,
Thats a silly remark for a vehicle that has more than proved its worth, in nomerous wars and battles.