hummer isn'y doing so well?

Here is a piece fresh from USA TODAY It has a good amount of insight for this thread.

Army late with orders for armored Humvees

By Tom Squitieri, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — In June 2003, the U.S. Army realized that it didn't have enough armored Humvees in Iraq to protect soldiers from a growing number of attacks by insurgents. By Friday, officials expect to correct that problem by having almost 22,000 armored Humvees in Iraq — up from 235 when the war began.
humvee-cover-inside.jpg

A Marine stands in front of an armored Humvee hit by a roadside bomb in Ramadi, Iraq, in November.

Why did it take the government almost two years to remedy a deficiency that the Army acknowledges was costing soldiers' lives?

An examination of Army records, correspondence with members of Congress and Pentagon documents shows that the military repeatedly underestimated the need for more armored Humvees. Even after recognizing its miscalculations, the Army was slow to order more armored Humvees, and then transported them to Iraq from its existing worldwide supply in fits and starts. Officials also failed to take full advantage of a defense contracting firm that says it could have increased production to meet the Army's needs...
READ MORE

I find them to be quite protective and durable, look at the thing its still in one peice.

And I agree with Big_Z the Hummer is a battlefeild taxi, as iss the M113. Both are said to stop 14.5mm rounds. Look at that stryker that got hit by a 500lb IED, they aren't made for that, but American made vehicles can take it.

Cadet Airman Adam Seaman said:
I find them to be quite protective and durable, look at the thing its still in one peice.

And I agree with Big_Z the Hummer is a battlefeild taxi, as iss the M113. Both are said to stop 14.5mm rounds. Look at that stryker that got hit by a 500lb IED, they aren't made for that, but American made vehicles can take it.

ummmmmm, a hummer stopping 14.5 mm rounds? what? let alone an m113!

I have to agree, 14.5 mm rounds? Thats horribly insuffiecent, espically in Iraq where our boys are facing IEDs and RPG fire daily (espicially along Route Irish), and back during the Somali conflict and the Battle of Mogadishu, US Army Rangers reported that the "armored" doors on their Hum-vees were still being penetrated by the 7.62mm and 5.45mm bullets fired by AK-47s, so I would take that 14.5 mm with a grain of salt.

well i have seen two holes put in the side of a m113 from a misfired M2 browning (from about 500m away) so yeah, dunno about that

webs said:
i have recently read that the hummer is kinda suckin, by like flippin over or just being crappy, is that true?
I certainly wouldn't call the Humvee crappy at all. And yet, I'm wondering if what you'd heard was the part about some Humvees in Urban mob situations in Iraq getting flipped by the mob itself. If that is the source of what you're referring to, then it is true. A mob can flip the thing over. Even with the added armor, the Humvee is more vunerable than any vehicle that was really and truly intended to be an APC. But that's kinda silly to note because the Humvee was:
1.) Never intended to be a vehicle specialized in Urban combat, and
2.) Most certainly was not designed to be an APC (as has been echoed several times over already in this thread).

The Humvee fills its intended purpose beautifully. Not perfectly but mankind hath not created any perfect thing as yet.

The so called "uparmored" in Mog where not armored. An aluminum armored M113 would be chewed up by an M2, but a steel armored with composite add on armor would stop a 14.5mm shell. Not only that but when a armored windsheild is fired at more then once it is going to break and loses ballistic authenticity.

Back