Humbled...

AZ_Infantry

I just wanted to share this.

I was at work yesterday (at Ace, not for my company) when an old, frail, shaking man slowly made his way through the doors. My best guess would put him close to 80. But he had no walker nor cane, just a fanny pack and a smile on his face. He was looking at a display of BDU-pattern hats that I have no idea why we have, and I walked up and asked him if he needed any assistance.

He began with wishes that, as a Marine, they would have had the neck scarf attached to the hat to help keep the sunburns at bay they suffered on the beaches.

We talked, and I was to find out that he was one of the Marines at Normandy's landing, on a hill they referred to as "Grenade Hill." This began his lamenting of stories from WWII, his time in the Marines, friends he'd both gained and lost, equipment and its ineffectiveness, and the role the Marines played.

I stood and listened. I've met WWII vets before, but at the VA - they are usually incoherent or refuse to discuss their time in. This gentleman had no such reservations, though I did see some painful, painful memories in his eyes (which welled with tears more than once).

The entire time my district manager, Pam, the lady who hired me, stood behind me stocking shelves. Much to her credit, she never interrupted Ernie and never attempted to hint that I should return to my duties or admonish me for not helping other customers as I listened to this man. In the end, not wanting to take advantage of Pam's respect and generosity, I did excuse myself after about 20 minutes.

I shook his hand, thanked him for all he'd done, asked God to bless him, and returned to work.

Having the honor of 20 minutes' discourse with a man who helped free the world from tyranny and oppression some 64 years ago is one of the most humbling experiences a person can have. It is one of those times where, no matter how much pride you have or what you've accomplished in life, you just feel small and pathetic. Not that he made me feel that way, mind you - he was extremely open and friendly. But how can one not feel humbled in the presence of such history?

Strange, I don't ever recall US Marines being a part of the Normandy landings nor can I find anything on a "Grenade Hill" in Normandy. I did find a Grenade Hill Camp in the Solomons though.
Also, I don't know if Marines were ever part of the European theater other than with postings on US Navy ships and some operations with the OSS (interesting as they dropped in as small units in parachutes deep behind enemy lines).
Don't want to knock the guy down but I just can't seem to find a damn thing behind the story you told me.

If I got duped for a lack of my history knowledge, I'm a be pissed. Like you, I can't find anything.

Maybe I got the story wrong? Pam knew him.

I go in to work in 3 hours. I'll ask her.

I am REALLY going to be pissed the F off if this guy lied. But I'll put it to my flawed memory for now. I know for a FACT I remember "Grenade Hill." FOR A FACT. He said he was there, that they landed, he made a big whoopdeedoo about the Army giving them hell for no secondary line of defense.

Man...

I just read a book on the Marines in the Pacific and "Hand Gernade Hill sounded familure. Google brought me to a hill in the Solomon Islands where the Japanese threw so many gernades at the Marines that Hand Gernade Hill stuck

http://www.nps.gov/archive/wapa/indepth/extContent/usmc/pcn-190-003141-00/sec9.htm

Also, the Army and Marines did do some joint operations in the Pacific and the USMC moaned how the Army took its time rather cleaning out all resistance while the Marines bypassed and hauled :cens: around some Japanese positions and let rear elements clean those up.

Take out his partaking in Normandy and his stroy sounds true. Did he talk about Europe or the Pacific? Remember, at his old age memory is something that he would not be at his best.

Alot of what you mentioned about his experiences was in the book I just read so I will await more input from you.

Last edited:
I just read a book on the Marines in the Pacific and "Hand Gernade Hill sounded familure. Google brought me to a hill in the Solomon Islands where the Japanese threw so many gernades at the Marines that Hand Gernade Hill stuck

http://www.nps.gov/archive/wapa/indepth/extContent/usmc/pcn-190-003141-00/sec9.htm

Also, the Army and Marines did do some joint operations in the Pacific and the USMC moaned how the Army took its time rather cleaning out all resistance while the Marines bypassed and hauled :cens: around some Japanese positions and let rear elements clean those up.

Take out his partaking in Normandy and his stroy sounds true. Did he talk about Europe or the Pacific? Remember, at his old age memory is something that he would not be at his best.

Alot of what you mentioned about his experiences was in the book I just read so I will await more input from you.

He did use Europe, yes. But I know he said, specifically, "Beach landings."

I can imagine what that must have been like... I once talked to a former german fighter Pilot (ME) but the problems with our vets is that they were on the losing side so they don't get much credit at all. The majority who faught did not consist of evil monsters and i can remember several American Vets honoring their german enemies. But i think it must be really tough to fight in such war for your country, to lose- so whatever you did was never something great or honorable. We don't have many "heroes" from WW2 but i'm sure there were many who faught as brave as the allied forces for their men or country. I cant even imagine what that must be like now to get all the blame of the world after fighting in a horrible war. Don't get me wrong i don't want to say there were no war criminals amongst the germans (as were amongst other troops) but there were many many soldiers who just faught because they didn'T have a choice and some of them faught well and bravely though they don't get much credit for it today.
I think thats sad

things that make you go hmmmm...

...maybe try to find out what unit or division he was in. I will be monitoring this thread for updates.

Dunno. There were Marines on Ships Detachments in the ETO, Marines assigned to the OSS in the ETO, Marines assigned as Security Det's at Londonderry and other places in the UK. As far as landing at Normandy I know that one US Marine Major (name escapes me at the moment) landed in the Canadian sector as an observer, but there were no Marine combat formations at Normandy except for the Royal Marines.

I've heard of Grenade Hill and it was in the Solomons New Britian or Guadalcanal if I remember correctly.

As for beach landings, there were plenty of those to go around in the Pacific. Logically the reason why the Marines were chosen for the Pacific theater of operations.
I hate to bring things like this up but I've seen my share of fakes around here and it ticks me off. Some fakes are REAL convincing but the majority you can tell apart in under a minute.

Yeah, I always thought the Army pretty much dealt with the Germans and the Marines with the Japs. Maybe the thinking part did me in again.

I can imagine what that must have been like... I once talked to a former german fighter Pilot (ME) but the problems with our vets is that they were on the losing side so they don't get much credit at all. The majority who faught did not consist of evil monsters and i can remember several American Vets honoring their german enemies. But i think it must be really tough to fight in such war for your country, to lose- so whatever you did was never something great or honorable. We don't have many "heroes" from WW2 but i'm sure there were many who faught as brave as the allied forces for their men or country. I cant even imagine what that must be like now to get all the blame of the world after fighting in a horrible war. Don't get me wrong i don't want to say there were no war criminals amongst the germans (as were amongst other troops) but there were many many soldiers who just faught because they didn'T have a choice and some of them faught well and bravely though they don't get much credit for it today.
I think thats sad

I think for many the animosities of WW2 were were borne of necessity and and have long since evaporated with time, these days there are many events being held where former enemies share the limelight ie Afrika Korp veterans attend Rats of Tobruk reunions, Survivors of the Bismarck/Hood campaign have reunions, I attended the Commemorations at Monte Cassino with my father in 1994 and they were jointly attended by Germam Veterans.

"After 60 years it is important that we became friends, remain friends and that we remember the battle in Normandy is history. - Manfred Rommel."

In regards to the original topic though are you sure the guy just isn't confused, these things happen with age and trauma.

Last edited:
Whenever I think of the Germans in WWII, I always think to myself that many of them and maybe even most, were in a similar situation as the current Pope. The Pope was fortunate and found an escape. The ones that did fight, I have no doubt their were quite a few hard charger Germans, Japanese and Italians killing us as well. We didn't lose all the folks we lost in WWII from being tickled to death.

Considering the Pacific connections seemingly accurate, maybe this guy was just a little mixed up, what with time and age. Or maybe even you misunderstood something of what he was remembering. Perhaps you will get the chance to run over it again with him. Don't jump to conclusions just yet, AZ.

And, referring to MontyB's recollections of Monte Cassino, in my family we had combatants on both sides in that action.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm thinking he used "Pacific" and I naturally drew an incorrect conclusion and committed it to memory. To be honest, I was in awe the entire time. I didn't really know what to say or how to stand... I wanted to salute him, hug him, shake his hand, buy him lunch and a beer...

I need to pay more attention. I'm just tuckered out between work and school.

If he was altogether upstairs, I am sure he picked up on your appreciation of his presence. I've done that before, been real excited about being someones presence and screwed everything up when I tried to repeat what they said.

Anyway, AZ, it is what was in your heart and how you received the story that is important. You showed respect, and that was what counted.:salute:

Back