Humanitarian Crisis - Page 16




 
--
Boots
 
October 3rd, 2015  
brinktk
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljadw
As the average Muslim did not condemn Bin Laden/Isis,we can not trust the average Muslim .
There are no such methods : if Ali and Mohammed are arriving in Germany,how to be certain that Ali is a refugee, how to be certain that Mohammed is a refugee ?

The only way to be sure that no Muslim terrorist is entering Europe,is to let enter not one Muslim .
I actually pity you. You must literally live hiding under your blankets like a child hiding from all these boogymen. If that is how you behave and what you believe...then the terrorists have defeated you. Your solution is just as ridden with tyranny as those you presume to fight.(and I say fight with the very loosest of meaning) You don't really believe in freedom, democracy, and the ideals of god given natural rights. What I hear you preach sounds a helluva lot like fascism.

I don't scare so easily. Ironic considering I have actually faced radical Islam on the battlefield. Of course I have also actually met the average Muslim too...they seem pretty normal to me. And they outnumber the crazies by a billion plus( plus or minus several hundred million)
October 3rd, 2015  
MontyB
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinktk
I actually pity you. You must literally live hiding under your blankets like a child hiding from all these boogymen. If that is how you behave and what you believe...then the terrorists have defeated you. Your solution is just as ridden with tyranny as those you presume to fight.(and I say fight with the very loosest of meaning) You don't really believe in freedom, democracy, and the ideals of god given natural rights. What I here you preach sounds a helluva lot like fascism.

I don't scare so easily. Ironic considering I have actually faced radical Islam on the battlefield. Of course I have also actually met the average Muslim too...they seem pretty normal to me. And they outnumber the crazies by a billion plus( plus or minus several hundred million)
I tend to agree having spent time in a number of islamic countries throughout the middle east and Asia I can not say I ever felt threatened or anything but welcome, work with a couple of Afghan immigrants (ex-translators for the reconstruction teams that were there) and we have some great discussions. I was in Egypt during their 2012 unrest but enjoyed it so much I will be heading back next year.

I am also hoping to return to Turkey and visit Iran next year as well.

There is no doubt we have very different customs and beliefs but I remain convinced people are basically the same the world over, there are lunatics in every society but the majority are just looking to get on with their lives.
October 3rd, 2015  
lljadw
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyB

There is no doubt we have very different customs and beliefs but I remain convinced people are basically the same the world over

That's where you are totally wrong and that will be your undoing ;as Kipling said : West is West and East is East and both will never meet each other .

As the exiled archbishop of Mosul said :

"your liberal and democratic principles are worth nothing in the ME;

your values are not their values.

you will become the victims of the enemy you have welcomed in your home "

First will be Europe, US will follow, and New Zeeland will not escape .
--
Boots
October 3rd, 2015  
lljadw
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinktk
I actually pity you. You must literally live hiding under your blankets like a child hiding from all these boogymen. If that is how you behave and what you believe...then the terrorists have defeated you. Your solution is just as ridden with tyranny as those you presume to fight.(and I say fight with the very loosest of meaning) You don't really believe in freedom, democracy, and the ideals of god given natural rights. What I here you preach sounds a helluva lot like fascism.

I don't scare so easily. Ironic considering I have actually faced radical Islam on the battlefield. Of course I have also actually met the average Muslim too...they seem pretty normal to me. And they outnumber the crazies by a billion plus( plus or minus several hundred million)
This is the usual illusion of people who are unable to understand that most people outside the US don't give a damn for what the founding fathers did say : they do not believe in freedom,democracy, in the ideals of god given natural rights .

You still cling to the illusion that man is good from nature and that all countries want to become as the US .

YOU ARE WRONG .

HISTORY IS PROVING THAT YOU ARE WRONG .
October 3rd, 2015  
JOC
 
 
I don't think the issue is whether or not they want to become like the US. It's a matter of whether or not they or people deserving of our help and shouldn't fall under the an umbrella grouping as terrorist. Since most just want to get on with their lives and if not driven off their homes by ISIS or other terror groups -regimes would gladly stay their.
October 3rd, 2015  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOC
I don't think the issue is whether or not they want to become like the US. It's a matter of whether or not they or people deserving of our help and shouldn't fall under the an umbrella grouping as terrorist. Since most just want to get on with their lives and if not driven off their homes by ISIS or other terror groups -regimes would gladly stay their.
Our own homeless and elderly should be looked after first and foremost. Far too many ex military men and women are living on the streets after serving their country, around 9,000 are homeless. Thousands of elderly die each year, every winter, 25,000 older people in England and Wales do not survive the bitter weather - 206 deaths a day.

Those living in the coldest homes figure most in the excess winter death rates and illness statistics, according to Age UK.

Yet 3.5 million fear they will not be able to afford their heating bill.

Soaring energy bills is one of the main concerns over the winter months for around five million over-65s, found the report out today.

A third are worried about how they will pay to heat their homes while 70 per cent have fears over the high cost of energy.

Dr William Brehaut, 76, lives in a 200-year-old property near Peterborough.

Last winter he could not afford adequate heating on his basic pension and Pension Credit and would be left without heat for days.

He said: “My thermometer card showed that my living room was only six degrees.

"I had to wear a coat indoors on the worst days.”

Countries which have much colder temperatures, such as Finland, Germany and France, have significantly lower winter death rates because the UK has the oldest houses in the EU.

But many of the deaths could be prevented if homes were better insulated.

William Evans, 82, an ex-Navy sailor, also lives in Cambridgeshire.

He led the British Legion’s service on Remembrance Sunday by St Nicholas Church, Manea, Cambridgeshire.

He said: “It’s creating hardship but I just about scrape through. I don’t smoke or drink or do anything like that.

“I haven’t been to the cinema for 50 years, I haven’t had a holiday in 20 years, which is tragic after a busy life.

“Any penny you’ve got has to go into your basic living.

"I do feel a bit sad, that I don’t have the wherewithal to do more, having been in the services you don’t become rich.”

Just under one million older people live in fuel poverty and many cannot afford to heat their homes to a sufficient temperature to keep warm.

Caroline Abrahams, charity director at Age UK, said: “Fuel poverty is a national scandal which has claimed the lives of too many people - both old and young - for far too long and left many more suffering from preventable illness.”

The research suggests that 41 per cent of this older generation believe the Government should do more to ensure UK homes are made more energy efficient and 36 per cent say energy companies should do so.

Lynne Brennand, 63, of Cumbria, has a weekly income of under £100 and is “dreading” this winter because of the price of utilities.

A quarter of her income goes on heating bills during the frosty months, leaving insufficient money for food.

She said: “I have to limit running the central heating. I have very little left for food. We don’t have luxuries in this house.

"My priority is to try to keep warm.”

There is also a massive financial cost to the NHS as it copes with additional winter deaths and illness which Age UK has calculated at £1.36 billion per year in England alone.

When and only when our own have been sorted out, housed, fed and given a descent pension should we start looking out after others.
October 3rd, 2015  
JOC
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
Our own homeless and elderly should be looked after first and foremost. Far too many ex military men and women are living on the streets after serving their country, thousands of elderly die each year. Every winter, 25,000 older people in England and Wales do not survive the bitter weather - 206 deaths a day.

Those living in the coldest homes figure most in the excess winter death rates and illness statistics, according to Age UK.

Yet 3.5 million fear they will not be able to afford their heating bill.

Soaring energy bills is one of the main concerns over the winter months for around five million over-65s, found the report out today.

A third are worried about how they will pay to heat their homes while 70 per cent have fears over the high cost of energy.

Dr William Brehaut, 76, lives in a 200-year-old property near Peterborough.

Last winter he could not afford adequate heating on his basic pension and Pension Credit and would be left without heat for days.

He said: “My thermometer card showed that my living room was only six degrees.

"I had to wear a coat indoors on the worst days.”

Countries which have much colder temperatures, such as Finland, Germany and France, have significantly lower winter death rates because the UK has the oldest houses in the EU.

But many of the deaths could be prevented if homes were better insulated.

William Evans, 82, an ex-Navy sailor, also lives in Cambridgeshire.
He led the British Legion’s service on Remembrance Sunday by St Nicholas Church, Manea, Cambridgeshire.

He said: “It’s creating hardship but I just about scrape through. I don’t smoke or drink or do anything like that.

“I haven’t been to the cinema for 50 years, I haven’t had a holiday in 20 years, which is tragic after a busy life.

“Any penny you’ve got has to go into your basic living.

"I do feel a bit sad, that I don’t have the wherewithal to do more, having been in the services you don’t become rich.”

Just under one million older people live in fuel poverty and many cannot afford to heat their homes to a sufficient temperature to keep warm.

Caroline Abrahams, charity director at Age UK, said: “Fuel poverty is a national scandal which has claimed the lives of too many people - both old and young - for far too long and left many more suffering from preventable illness.”

The research suggests that 41 per cent of this older generation believe the Government should do more to ensure UK homes are made more energy efficient and 36 per cent say energy companies should do so.

Lynne Brennand, 63, of Cumbria, has a weekly income of under £100 and is “dreading” this winter because of the price of utilities.

A quarter of her income goes on heating bills during the frosty months, leaving insufficient money for food.

She said: “I have to limit running the central heating. I have very little left for food. We don’t have luxuries in this house.

"My priority is to try to keep warm.”

There is also a massive financial cost to the NHS as it copes with additional winter deaths and illness which Age UK has calculated at £1.36 billion per year in England alone.

When and only when our own have been sorted, should we start looking after others
I couldn't agree more. We have much the same problem in the US. The elderly with limited and fixed incomes cannot keep up with inflation and spiraling medical cost. Yet the government provides welfare to many who don't deserve it and waste money in countless ridicules ventures. My in-laws had to take recently remortgage there home to help pay for medical bills.
October 3rd, 2015  
lljadw
 
In 2012 Britain's Foreign Aid budget was : 8.57 billion £.
October 3rd, 2015  
BritinAfrica
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljadw
In 2012 Britain's Foreign Aid budget was : 8.57 billion £.
The moronic cretin PM David Cameron recently funded the Indian Navy by something like £1.7 BILLION, while cutting the British Military to the bone. There is an old saying, ""Charity begins at home!!"" Cameron really needs to look towards the plight of our own people before handing out billions of pounds overseas.
October 3rd, 2015  
JOC
 
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritinAfrica
The moronic cretin PM David Cameron recently funded the Indian Navy by something like £1.7 BILLION, while cutting the British Military to the bone. There is an old saying, ""Charity begins at home!!"" Cameron really needs to look towards the plight of our own people before handing out billions of pounds overseas.
He should be selling the equipment - hardware to the Indian Navy, rather than giving it away. Plus Britain should maintain it's long and proud history of maintaining a strong Naval presence.
 


Similar Topics
With no peace, Ukraine is beset by humanitarian risks: U.N.
About 40 percent of Syrians need humanitarian aid: U.N.
Lack of access in Syria hinders humanitarian aid: EU
Humanitarian crisis deepens in quake-hit Japan (Reuters)
Indians are so treacherous -- Richard Nixon