Hug a Marine!

AJChenMPH

Forum Health Inspector
WHEN MY BROTHER, John, joined the Marines about a year ago, friends and family told my mother not to worry, reassuring her that "at least it's during peacetime." On September 11, when terrorists attacked our country, John was stationed in Japan. My mother, upon hearing the news, didn't panic. Instead, she headed to the nearest recruiting office. When a recruiter came to the desk and asked if she needed help, she responded, "Yes - I need to hug a Marine!"

--Contributed to "Humor In Uniform" by Julianne Stare

Provided Courtesy of Reader's Digest.

-----

Ed. Note: I guess this was submitted in the Fall of 2001... :???:

Reply from Christine

I just received a mail by Christine, the mother who needed a Marine hug, and she asked me to attach her mail to this thread.. :smil:

Hi
My daughter, Julianne Stare, just sent me the link to "hug a Marine" I thought I should comment since this was about me...lol. Reader's Digest changed it a bit but basically I did get my hug even though I didn't know the Marine Recruiter. Julie received a check which she shared with me. I then got a Gift Certificate for a National Food chain and a copy of the Dec issue that had this in it and a couple months later found the Marine and gave him the GC to take HIS mom out for dinner next time he was home. Peace
Chris (last name removed)
ps...my son is still active duty. Came home from Iraq in Feb and going to Africa in Sept.
Thanks again Christine, and say hi to your son from us :D
(just in case you read this thread again..)

Back