How's Obama Doing?

Mighty Mouse

Just curious to see how the forum members feel the Obama administration is doing so far.

I found some interesting info here. I'd like to read other opinions or see how many agree with this list or the assessment in general.

The Obama administration’s track record is nearly perfect.

War on Terror- Can’t come up with a strategy for Afghanistan. That is unless you like Biden’s or Kerry’s, but certainly not General McChrystal

War on Middle-East peace process – Iran happy, Israel thrown under the bus.

War on Poverty – Food stamps and welfare on the rise.

War on the Economy – Look at California and Michigan as examples;
Unemployment Up, foreclosures up, dollar weakening.

War on the Banks – See War on the Economy.

War on the Deficit – $1.4+ billion in the hole [ this year].

War on Wall Street - Also See War on the Economy.

War on Saving Detroit – Cash for clunkers. Winners were the Import companies.

War to bring the Olympics to Chicago – Out in the first round. Even with Oprah’s help.

War on Iranian Nuclear program – They are on double secret probation.

War on Russian expansion – Good bye Eastern European missile defense.

War on Energy Independence – T. Boone Pickens invests and then pulls out.

War on Global Warming – Simply cannot stop campaigning around the planet. Also see Copenhagen.

War on Republicans – Town-halls, Tea Parties and upcoming elections.

War on Conservatism – Palin’s book sales, through the ceiling and it isn’t even out yet.

War on Health care – Has the House and the Senate still can’t get the damn thing passed. [which is good].

And finally, War on Fox News – Rating up 8% in last two weeks.

If nothing else, President Obama is consistent.

Well pretty soon one of the resident libobots will be along to stamp their birkinstocks and defend the Chosen One by blaming Bush for all of it.

Actually I tried to make a real reply but it's just a whole load of baiting. Even the categories aren't real categories. The whole thing is just flame bait.
After one year I have mixed feelings about Obama but some of that stuff is just ridiculous.

The problem is, Bush is to blame for much of it. He was President for the past 8 years and many of the problems happened on his watch. It's just unfortunate as heck that I have to say that about a conservative party but Bush's handling wasn't anywhere good enough and Obama has had to inherit a lot of problems. I don't agree with everything Obama's doing, especially foreign policy regarding allies, but he's been President for one year. It's going to take a lot more time to fix all those things that happened in the past eight.

Last edited:
I think there are enough of his own supporters unsatisfied with his performance that they can answer.

It is true that his time in office has been limited and he inherited a mess. To blame it all on Bush is tunnel vision. There was a Democratic majority in Congress.

President Obama has a Democratic majority in Congress and if he cannot be effective it will be no ones fault but the Democrats. He does need to show some progress very soon as campaigning for the midterm elections is going to start.

Blame the mess on Bush or Obama. It doesn't really matter. Until America stands up for itself and stops putting "political correctness" and "global economy" before our great nation we are doomed to fail.
Put whoever you want in office but until Americans start realizing that the world isn't fair and no amount of legislation is going to make it so, nothing will get better. If you want something, go out and earn it. If someone tries to take what's yours, defend it. These are the principles that made our country great and the same principles we have abandoned.
But then again what do I know, I'm just some nobody with an Internet connection right?

Yes I know this is flame-bait, but I cannot help myself from this nonsense. Its not that I am actively defending Obama, but almost all of this stuff either dates from the Bush Administration, or is so shockingly stupid or one-sided.

War on Terror- Can’t come up with a strategy for Afghanistan. That is unless you like Biden’s or Kerry’s, but certainly not General McChrystal

He's been in office 10 months. At least Obama is TRYING to do something within his first year, vs. the 8 previous years of Bush and Cheney doing NOTHING, not to mention the fact letting Osama escape at Tora Bora. Cheney sat on a request for more troops on Afghanistan for 8 months and did nothing. Of course that oddly doesn't get mentioned.

You mean Obama has decided NOT to be Israel's poodle anymore? Its about time! I for one am glad that Obama is actually dealing with Americas interest for a change instead of the previous policy of Israel Uber Alles. If U.S right wingers put Israel's interest ahead of America's then they should simply move to Israel.

At this is Obama's fault how exactly? The Economic disaster happened on the Bush Administration watch. Funny how people's memory gets short the moment a Democrat is in office. Of course there is still 3 more years in Obama's term, if he manages to turn the situation around (as is already beginning to happen, except for jobs) the right wing is going to be furious with obama as they were with Clinton when he did the same thing.

see above

also see above

HA HA HA -Do we really want to get into who created the largest deficits? Another example of GOP memory lapse. Remember, most economic experts have said Obama's spending prevented us from entering not a recession, but a depression. Of course had he done like Herbert Hoover in the same scenario in 1929 the GOP would be blaming him for that too. Funny how spending is always bad when its done by a democrat, but its OK when a republican does it.

Always glad to see the GOP standing up for their #1 fans: the billionaires. But clearly whoever wrote this never read the Wall Street Journal just look at Goldman Sachs numbers this year alone.

Because 250,000 new automobile sales for the struggling US Auto companies is obviously such a bad thing. Booo Obama. How dare he help American industry!!!!!

War to bring the Olympics to Chicago – Out in the first round. Even with Oprah’s help.

What a dumbass comment. By that same token, we could blame Bush for the Astros not winning the World Series! Seriously if this is the best the GOP can do, do America a favor -don't run in the next election.
The IOC already made up its mind about the games long before Obama made his speech, and even if Chicago had won the GOP would be accusing Obama of wasting tax dollars, or "favoring" his hometown

Wrong. Actually they just announced they would be willing to get their uranium enriched abroad.

Goodbye White Elephant you useless, expensive, turd. Not only did it work 50% of the time, but also and creating foreign policy nightmares for the State Department. Good riddance. This is exactly the kind of waste that went on in the previous administration. BTW the MS was designed for Iran not Russia, so whatever GOP sheep wrote this..your facts are wrong on both counts.

Once again, this is Obama's fault?

War on Global Warming – Simply cannot stop campaigning around the planet. Also see Copenhagen.

Oh thats right you the side that doesn't believe in Global warming. The same group that thinks the earth is 5000 years old and that we lived with the dinosaurs. I think we will stop listening to your scientific expertise now.

All small potatoes. The last elections were against two weak democrats who were defeated because of local issues by moderate Republicans. The polls specific stated that they voted GOP NOT because of Obama. By contrast the liberal democrat beat the far right extremist candidate in NY-23 in a area that hasn't voted democrat in 100 years. Showing once again that the far right is far more unpopular than Obama is.

War on Conservatism – Palin’s book sales, through the ceiling and it isn’t even out yet.

Books bought in bulk by conservative think tanks don't mean jack. The truth is aside from her whacky supporters, most of America think is Palin's unqualified (read: stupid). But please make the Democrats very happy and run her as a candidate as that would split the GOP and guarantee Obama reelection. Run Palin and I promise you'll be giving Obama another 4 years.

War on Health care – Has the House and the Senate still can’t get the damn thing passed. [which is good].

Because American health care is so great right? Ask that to the 46 Million that have no health insurance at all. The reason they haven't got it passed is they have tried yet, they are still working out the bill in commitee. And it will eventually pass in one form or another. Mark my words.

Big Deal. Who cares? They will always be radical extremist group. I applaud Obama for standing up to them

And finally, my return question: Why don't the rightwingers propose their own solutions to the economy, health-care, and the war on terrorism instead of blaming Obama for everything. And better yet how come you guys didnt do anything on this in the past 8 years. Can you list the number of GOP accomplishments in the past 8 years?

Last edited:
"An equal opportunity critic"

Man, I needed a good laugh. This website is as anti-Obama as "don'tvoteobama.com"

*rolls eyes*

Just an aside, John Lydon, global economy is a LOT more important to the nation than you think. Countries have tried Isolationism before... The results were NOT pretty... We're all in this together, whether we like it or not. So we might as well try and suck it up and work well together so we can have a decent life.

Yeah... about the global economy, John, everything is global now, you can't get away from it. The US economy is very much a part of the global economy. You can't just cut it loose and "get rid" of it because you don't understand it. When George W Bush first came into office, as I recall, he wanted to focus more on the domestic front and was reluctant to deal with foreign issues. Then some very bad people came knocking on America's door and things just haven't been the same in America since.

To expect results for things this big in 10 months is kind of ridiculous. I'm not saying that I believe that Obama WILL be able to do the job, just saying I don't think anyone can do it in 10 months, majority or not. Even if he inherited the Presidency in calmer times, 10 months is usually not a time frame we associate with fixing a certain problem of a national scale. Some problems that exist in various countries including the US probably will take a whole generation to really see if the policies worked or not. I guess that's one big downside of 4 year terms. We expect things to happen faster than they possibly can.
A longer, single-term only for the President might be worth thinking about. 6 years, no re-election.
Anyways the answer to the question: How's Obama doing?
Domestic Issues: Seems to be on the right track but need more time to really know.
War on Terror: Need more time.
Foreign Policy (other than GWoT): Poor.

In what way? I am not terribly sympathetic to Israel, espicially with the government currently in charge there and the Iran and Russia situations have cooled off. Furthermore Obama's popularity abroad has improved our relations with other countries.

The one area I think Obama might be getting into trouble is Afghanistan. I fear he is being drawn down into the same civil war quagmire that the Soviets faced in the 1980s. I think we should just leave, we accomplished the mission there, we should now go.

In what way? I am not terribly sympathetic to Israel, espicially with the government currently in charge there and the Iran and Russia situations have cooled off. Furthermore Obama's popularity abroad has improved our relations with other countries.

The one area I think Obama might be getting into trouble is Afghanistan. I fear he is being drawn down into the same civil war quagmire that the Soviets faced in the 1980s. I think we should just leave, we accomplished the mission there, we should now go.

Just curious, what mission in Afghanistan has been accomplished?

This is one area that is very curious. General McChrystal (this is the man Obama picked to run the show) asked for more troops. Others have said time to leave. President Obama is just going to sit on a decision until when?

Yeah... about the global economy, John, everything is global now, you can't get away from it. The US economy is very much a part of the global economy. You can't just cut it loose and "get rid" of it because you don't understand it. When George W Bush first came into office, as I recall, he wanted to focus more on the domestic front and was reluctant to deal with foreign issues. Then some very bad people came knocking on America's door and things just haven't been the same in America since.

If we were to completley shut down our borders, i.e. no selling of foriegn products, the economy would right itself. Granted, we would lose the income from selling to foriegn countries but that's not much. American products don't sell big outside of America.
Companies that wanted a piece of the American consumer market, (the largest consumer market in the world by the way), would have to open up shop in the US. Presto, job and tax influx overnight.
I'm sure there would be plenty of countries pissed at us and "bad people knocking on our door", but we are supposed to be the most powerful country in the world!! Grow a pair and take care of your own house!

If we were to completley shut down our borders, i.e. no selling of foriegn products, the economy would right itself. Granted, we would lose the income from selling to foriegn countries but that's not much. American products don't sell big outside of America.
Companies that wanted a piece of the American consumer market, (the largest consumer market in the world by the way), would have to open up shop in the US. Presto, job and tax influx overnight.
I'm sure there would be plenty of countries pissed at us and "bad people knocking on our door", but we are supposed to be the most powerful country in the world!! Grow a pair and take care of your own house!
There's a flaw in your plan, that flaw being WE DON'T MAKE ANYTHING HERE. If we shut down our borders, naturally any foreign company making things in the US is going to leave, because they can't export. And that will purely kill the actual American Companies, because they don't make anything here either! I see what you're saying, and I agree that there should be some sort of punishment for outsourcing to India/China/whatever, but closing off imports isn't the answer.

And as for the topic of this thread? Please. You're whining that the blame shouldn't all fall on Bush for his failures, but apparently it's okay to blame everything that you don't like on Obama. I haven't been happy with everything Obama has done, but overall I have a favorable view of his time in office so far. He inherited a complete mess from the Bush Administration (which stonewalled all attempts by the Democratic Congress to change anything) and has reversed the GDP. Sales of Fords and GMs are up. Things are actually almost looking positive again. The job flux is low now, but it will turn around in time, just like the GDP did.

And actually, if you look at Congress you'd know who's winning the "War On Conservatism" as you call it. ;)

Well I am going to ignore everything but the title of the thread and give Obama a 50% rating, he hasn't done anything to piss me off which is a positive but on the flip side of this he seems to be suffering paralysis by analysis syndrome where he spends so much time gaining consensus that he gets nothing done.

Disclaimer: This is a view point from outside the USA his domestic policies do not interest me one bit.

Yes I know this is flame-bait, but I cannot help myself from this nonsense. Its not that I am actively defending Obama, but almost all of this stuff either dates from the Bush Administration, or is so shockingly stupid or one-sided.

He's been in office 10 months. At least Obama is TRYING to do something within his first year, vs. the 8 previous years of Bush and Cheney doing NOTHING, not to mention the fact letting Osama escape at Tora Bora. Cheney sat on a request for more troops on Afghanistan for 8 months and did nothing. Of course that oddly doesn't get mentioned.

You mean Obama has decided NOT to be Israel's poodle anymore? Its about time! I for one am glad that Obama is actually dealing with Americas interest for a change instead of the previous policy of Israel Uber Alles. If U.S right wingers put Israel's interest ahead of America's then they should simply move to Israel.

At this is Obama's fault how exactly? The Economic disaster happened on the Bush Administration watch. Funny how people's memory gets short the moment a Democrat is in office. Of course there is still 3 more years in Obama's term, if he manages to turn the situation around (as is already beginning to happen, except for jobs) the right wing is going to be furious with obama as they were with Clinton when he did the same thing.

see above

also see above

HA HA HA -Do we really want to get into who created the largest deficits? Another example of GOP memory lapse. Remember, most economic experts have said Obama's spending prevented us from entering not a recession, but a depression. Of course had he done like Herbert Hoover in the same scenario in 1929 the GOP would be blaming him for that too. Funny how spending is always bad when its done by a democrat, but its OK when a republican does it.

Always glad to see the GOP standing up for their #1 fans: the billionaires. But clearly whoever wrote this never read the Wall Street Journal just look at Goldman Sachs numbers this year alone.

Because 250,000 new automobile sales for the struggling US Auto companies is obviously such a bad thing. Booo Obama. How dare he help American industry!!!!!

What a dumbass comment. By that same token, we could blame Bush for the Astros not winning the World Series! Seriously if this is the best the GOP can do, do America a favor -don't run in the next election. The IOC already made up its mind about the games long before Obama made his speech, and even if Chicago had won the GOP would be accusing Obama of wasting tax dollars, or "favoring" his hometown

Wrong. Actually they just announced they would be willing to get their uranium enriched abroad.

Goodbye White Elephant you useless, expensive, turd. Not only did it work 50% of the time, but also and creating foreign policy nightmares for the State Department. Good riddance. This is exactly the kind of waste that went on in the previous administration. BTW the MS was designed for Iran not Russia, so whatever GOP sheep wrote this..your facts are wrong on both counts.

Once again, this is Obama's fault?

Oh thats right you the side that doesn't believe in Global warming. The same group that thinks the earth is 5000 years old and that we lived with the dinosaurs. I think we will stop listening to your scientific expertise now.

All small potatoes. The last elections were against two weak democrats who were defeated because of local issues by moderate Republicans. The polls specific stated that they voted GOP NOT because of Obama. By contrast the liberal democrat beat the far right extremist candidate in NY-23 in a area that hasn't voted democrat in 100 years. Showing once again that the far right is far more unpopular than Obama is.

Books bought in bulk by conservative think tanks don't mean jack. The truth is aside from her whacky supporters, most of America think is Palin's unqualified (read: stupid). But please make the Democrats very happy and run her as a candidate as that would split the GOP and guarantee Obama reelection. Run Palin and I promise you'll be giving Obama another 4 years.

Because American health care is so great right? Ask that to the 46 Million that have no health insurance at all. The reason they haven't got it passed is they have tried yet, they are still working out the bill in commitee. And it will eventually pass in one form or another. Mark my words.

Big Deal. Who cares? They will always be radical extremist group. I applaud Obama for standing up to them

And finally, my return question: Why don't the rightwingers propose their own solutions to the economy, health-care, and the war on terrorism instead of blaming Obama for everything. And better yet how come you guys didnt do anything on this in the past 8 years. Can you list the number of GOP accomplishments in the past 8 years?
War on Poverty-food stamps One of the first things done was repeal the welfare reforms passed during the Clinton Admin.
Deficits-Bush spent more than all previous Presidents. If Obama's spending stays @ the same level, he'll spend more than all previous Presidents, doubling the debt that Bush doubled.
Cash for clunkers-Widely acklowledged that Japanese companys raked in a big percentage of sales. Probably a lot of people impulse bought stuff they couldn't afford & will probably dry up sales now.
Fox News The only news channel who's employee don't vote Dem 90% of the time, who's the extremists?

Cash for clunkers-Widely acklowledged that Japanese companys raked in a big percentage of sales. Probably a lot of people impulse bought stuff they couldn't afford & will probably dry up sales now.
GM Sales and Ford Sales were up in CfC-free October. So, actually sales continue to recover there.

George, could you give a source on the voting thing... Silly me, I thought who people voted for was a private issue. 'Sides, all that says is how heavily people favored Obama.

Last edited:

Not really about Israel but he really should have handled the whole Poland thing better. That and my opinion on Hondouras as well. Those are the two factors which I think warrant a poor rating.
Cutting Poland off isn't a small mistake. It is huge. It is now a message to any country potentially willing to side with the United States in any conflict: America will forget about you and throw you to the wolves at any time. Pro-American factions pretty much all over the world have lost a LOT of credibility.
I understand that this missile shield was not viable and therefore was removed but something else should have been substituted and increased US-Polish training and maybe even a move of certain units from Germany to Poland (even a plan to do so) could have helped.
It may have "cooled off" in terms of coverage but the next time any country tries to be too cozy with the US, their anti-American factions will probably cite this. Either way, it puts pro-American folks in a difficult situation.
Also in Hondouras, what the government authorities did was remove another Chavez wannabe but seems like Obama is on the side of the folks who are obsessed with having him re-enstated.

No, the American economy would actually collapse.
Why do you think we put trade sanctions on countries we don't like? It's because if they don't trade, they start to become extremely poor. America really is no exception.

GM Sales and Ford Sales were up in CfC-free October. So, actually sales continue to recover there.

You are to funny.
Sales of GM up 4.1% over a year ago.
Ford Motor Co. reported its sales rose 3.1 percent, from the year before.

Of course October 2008 Ford and GM sales plunged about 45%. So your slight increase does what?

It is good news as possible the slide has stopped.

None of the Obama faithful have answered the question I put to mmarsh after his silly statement:

"The one area I think Obama might be getting into trouble is Afghanistan. I fear he is being drawn down into the same civil war quagmire that the Soviets faced in the 1980s. I think we should just leave, we accomplished the mission there, we should now go."mmarsh

Just curious, what mission in Afghanistan has been accomplished?

I would agree with the first part.

Back