How's Obama Doing?

I got your seat all reserved for ya USMC03. I have even got the program

Day 1 We will start via the "clockwork orange" method, forcing you to watch graphic scenes of Jane Fonda anti-war propaganda footage while listening to Barbara Streisand.

Day 2: We will begin your indoctrination as diehard Yankees fan. Your every dream will be of Derek Jeter (see: day 3).

Day 3: We will begin your "conversion" you into the gay lifestyle.

Day 4: "The We Hate America/We hate the Military" sing-a-long with Bruce Springsteen

So dont you worry, I'll have you saying "yes, we can" and drinking bottled Evian in no time, I promise I'll take special interest in your case, personally...

From the mighty pompous one, With the Broadsword sharp wit!

Not to worry USMC03 whatever conversion he tries, it doomed to fail, as he can't keep his facts straight.

Example:
"But back to subject: Obama just scored a pretty big win by passing the Healthcare Bill in the Senate." as mmarsh said with authority in Post #48.

I don't claim to have the ultimate knowledge of the Health Bill mmarsh does, but at least I know the House passed it's version not the Senate.:-D

Last I heard Comrade Pelosi's health care bill is DOA when it hits the Senate they are already tooling up their own bill. Must have been the jail terms and fines if you didn't follow the edicts of Nancy and Harry that did it.

Any bill without bipartisan dealing and support (Pelosis bill) is gonna suck.

Pelosi and others are attempting to force this thru. Looking at this I can see no way that this does not increase taxes and it's got a "you better toe the line" clause.

Pelosi and Ried true to form are atempting to bludgeon the people.

Last edited:
To TOG: Cool....But Allison has lost edge since she gave up Blue Grass.

To Henderso: STFU and go iron your Che t- shirt.
I think its really just more of a popularity thing, same with punk bands: everyone loves them until they sign a big record deal and start making money. It's hard to make a living as a bluegrass band, but country bands make the big bucks.

And was that second part really necessary? Seems kinda personal...

First of all, only those making over 250K will get a tax hike. Those under that sum should be receiving a tax cut of up to $1000. So your claim of a tax hike has a pretty big asterisk over it -it depends on your situation.

Secondly, He didn't say the recession was over, he said the worst of the recession was behind us. And he's probably right about that as most economic indicators are up except for jobs.

It might not make people feel better, but its not wrong.

Economic indicators are up, except for jobs. forgive me if I seem stupid, but doesn't a person need a JOB to have anything? Tell my neighbor who just got laid off that the worst is over. I hear the govt talking about all the money thats there, how stuffs getting better, but when I open my eyes all I see is the same lip service I have seen for the past 20 years. While more WORKING people lose their jobs.
I watch the news every night, and it is totally reverse from what I see when I wake up the next morning

I think its really just more of a popularity thing, same with punk bands: everyone loves them until they sign a big record deal and start making money. It's hard to make a living as a bluegrass band, but country bands make the big bucks.

And was that second part really necessary? Seems kinda personal...

True enough but when she was singing Blue Grass her and Union Station were head liners ....but yeah it's a money thing.

Yes he reaps what he sows.

Economic indicators are up, except for jobs. forgive me if I seem stupid, but doesn't a person need a JOB to have anything? Tell my neighbor who just got laid off that the worst is over. I hear the govt talking about all the money thats there, how stuffs getting better, but when I open my eyes all I see is the same lip service I have seen for the past 20 years. While more WORKING people lose their jobs.
I watch the news every night, and it is totally reverse from what I see when I wake up the next morning

Yes but if things like GDP and other indicators are up it usually (with some exceptions) means jobs wont be far behind. Jobs are always the last indicator to change. Its a good omen. And FYI, I was unemployed for the first 4 months of this year, Jan to April.

USMC03

Bipartisan support? You kidding right? We had the first 6 years of the past decade of conservatives telling the liberals to piss off. "With us or Against us" remember? You really doing to blame the Democrats now because the shoe is on the other foot? I don't remember the GOP giving a damn by bipartisan support back then. In fact I remember telling people right here a few years ago that the GOP's bullying of the opposition was going to come back and bite the GOP in the ass the very second the Dems took power.

Secondly, with all the money that's pumped into the GOP from insurance industry do you really think for one second the GOP has any real intention of passing a bill that would kill the golden goose? Both of us know this is about a Trillion Dollar industry that has bought out most Republicans and a few Democrats to prevent any disruption to the way they do business. I think the GOP version of the house bill was case in point about their intention to do absolutely nothing on this issue, and to stymie as much as they can this reform.

Well marsh agree with it or not, like it or not you have to get some Republicans and all of the Blue Dog Democrats on board or it dies and lingers.

Pelosi being the colaasel ***** she is managed to force feed this to the house with help from Barry I'm sure. The senate is not that easy.

Couple that with politicans wanting to be reelected and this bill being unexplained and murky you got a hard row to hoe.

I believe what needs to happen to really complete a Health Care Plan, is for the Senate to pass their version. Then the two Bills will have to be reworked in to one and approved by both houses and then given to President Obama to sign.

I am not sure that will be possible before the end of the year.

One interesting aspect of a Health Care Plan. If it requires the people of the United States to pay for a commercial insurance plan, it will probably be found unConstitutional.

What would give the government the right to force anyone to buy anything?

True enough but when she was singing Blue Grass her and Union Station were head liners ....but yeah it's a money thing.

Yes he reaps what he sows.
And I reap it with MUCH enjoyment. I love seeing the fact that I can get a rise out of people that makes them so unsure of themselves that they have to reduce themselves to personal attacks and blatant lies. :D

I believe what needs to happen to really complete a Health Care Plan, is for the Senate to pass their version. Then the two Bills will have to be reworked in to one and approved by both houses and then given to President Obama to sign.

I am not sure that will be possible before the end of the year.

One interesting aspect of a Health Care Plan. If it requires the people of the United States to pay for a commercial insurance plan, it will probably be found unConstitutional.

What would give the government the right to force anyone to buy anything?
I agree, I'm not really liking that. A national system is needed, run by the government, not this 50/50 system.

Seems to me what Obama doesn't quite understand is that he's in the majority. He has the votes to just shove this through congress however he sees fit, but he's playing a little too nice in trying to get the GOP on board, and all he's doing is irritating both sides. He's playing this like he's in the minority trying to get a bill passed, and when you're the majority that's just stupid and inefficient.

And don't you try to tell me for one minute that if it was the GOP with a healthcare bill and the majority, that they wouldn't have rushed that thing through both house and senate already; heck, had it been Bush's plan he probably would have signed it already.

Yeah you can't force people to sign a commercial plan but I think I'm seeing where this is coming from.

By forcing people into buying an insurance coverage the insurance companies don't face the problem of having people too likely to have illnesses sign on with folks who are not likely to be ill not signing on. What that does is increase the amount of money these insurance companies get and it helps (theoretically) control the price hike.

It's an interesting concept but I still think there needs to be a real national plan. But even if THIS passes, the out of control price hike may at least be kept under control and the companies with the fairest prices and fairest policies may get the business. If this passes, it's still better than the system right now.

Yeah you can't force people to sign a commercial plan but I think I'm seeing where this is coming from.

By forcing people into buying an insurance coverage the insurance companies don't face the problem of having people too likely to have illnesses sign on with folks who are not likely to be ill not signing on. What that does is increase the amount of money these insurance companies get and it helps (theoretically) control the price hike.

It's an interesting concept but I still think there needs to be a real national plan. But even if THIS passes, the out of control price hike may at least be kept under control and the companies with the fairest prices and fairest policies may get the business. If this passes, it's still better than the system right now.
I agree. This year alone my parents will spend a little over $6000 for insurance. Now there's no way that even if taxes increase, that they'll go up THAT much.

Yes but if things like GDP and other indicators are up it usually (with some exceptions) means jobs wont be far behind. Jobs are always the last indicator to change. Its a good omen. And FYI, I was unemployed for the first 4 months of this year, Jan to April.

I feel your pain the first 4 months, I've been jobless before, but youreally have to see it from the common working mans point of view, not the politicians or welfare recipients, or teh rich, from where I sit, I bust my butt 40 hrs a week, with no raise for teh next 2 years due to the economy, My taxes go up, health care costs have gone up, gas prices have gone nowhere but up. Food prices has gone up, did I mention my paycheck hasn't? Now the city is looking at performance reviews to see who they will lay off come Jan 2010 due to budget shortfalls, lost tax revenue, and the need to restructure due to this severe recession. Those are the indicators I see, and so far the indicators ain't telling me anything good.

Bipartisan support? You kidding right? We had the first 6 years of the past decade of conservatives telling the liberals to piss off. "With us or Against us" remember? You really doing to blame the Democrats now because the shoe is on the other foot? I don't remember the GOP giving a damn by bipartisan support back then.

Secondly, with all the money that's pumped into the GOP from insurance industry do you really think for one second the GOP has any real intention of passing a bill that would kill the golden goose? Both of us know this is about a Trillion Dollar industry that has bought out most Republicans and a few Democrats to prevent any disruption to the way they do business. I think the GOP version of the house bill was case in point about their intention to do absolutely nothing on this issue, and to stymie as much as they can this reform.
The "With us or against us" was to other Nations. When Bush got to D.C. he tried to work with the Dems, even foolishly letting Teddy K write that Education Bill. It was Dems who tried to bottle up everything with every parlimentarian trick they could think of to keep him from doing anything in Office.
With all the money the Lawyers have pumped into the Democrat Party Do you really think the dems have any real intention of passing reform that would kill the Goose? The GOP had some good Market oriented reforms & the Dems rejected them out of hand where they proposals wouldn't have increase Govt dependancy & power.

Did the liberal left conspire to shoot Kennedy too? Everything is a twisted attempt by the evil Democrats to foil the plans for the right, who are apparently role models to society. Try Variety.

I suppose the Medicare Prescription Drug, Improvement, and Modernization Act was somehow either the Dems' fault or a great success too, right?

What I still don't really understand is wh, with the continual back and forth between the 2 parties and their views, there has not been a serious attempt to form a 3rd party.

i understand the money aspect, but from my limited reading and understanding of the US constitution, the federal democracy was never set upalong party lines, these were introduced as convenience measures due to travel difficultiies - if I'm right and those difficulties have gone, why are the parties still alive?

The power base has been established this way and both have the resources that a 3rd party can't seem to muster.
Also they have the tactics. What kind of extremely rich guy would want to get involved in politics?

Back